Ivy Bridge or Haswell Xeon as Threadripper Replacement?

So I was really lusting after the 1950x but of course didn't have the budget. But I got to really looking, and when you look at something like an E5-2650 V2, it looks to have very similar single-core performance to a first gen Threadripper, and go dual socket and you're basically just under a 1950x from what I can tell. And they're pretty darn cheap. And comparing to price of Threadripper 1950x and TR4 motherboards and so on, I feel like for my uses, the older Xeon option would be sufficient.

I do game, and I'm using an RX 480 right now on a dual Xeon X5675 rig. The bottlenecking is minimal, other than on games that are heavy on single core, or of course on high framerates. But other than that, it's been great. I'm thinking of maybe upgrading to an RX 5700, maybe an XT. I feel like at the 1440p I'd be using it for, even what I have now would be sufficient. But then to add 8 more threads with two generations of IPC increase at similar clockspeeds... It seems like a no-brainer for what it would cost to get it all set up.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Thanks! :) 

31 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

used i5 4th gen for gaming is sufficient

they are very cheap

No point of going used i5 4th gen when ryzen 5 2600 offers better performance for $117

45 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why do you want an old Xeon or TR if all you do is game...? Why not choose... literally any other, more sensible option?

I think I might have worded that badly. No, I edit video, do a lot of stuff with Handbrake and so on. I game probably more than I do those things, but I do all of that enough where I think I'm really going to appreciate the extra CPU horsepower.

1 minute ago, bmichaels556 said:

I think I might have worded that badly. No, I edit video, do a lot of stuff with Handbrake and so on. I game probably more than I do those things, but I do all of that enough where I think I'm really going to appreciate the extra CPU horsepower.

What is your budget?

And

Is it going to be a full system build?

33 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

used i5 4th gen for gaming is sufficient

they are very cheap

Bad wording in my original post. I game more often than other tasks, but I do edit video regularly, do a good amount of stuff with handbrake and whatever. So I think with the amount I do those things, I'll benefit greatly from the extra horsepower.

5 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

No point of going used i5 4th gen when ryzen 5 2600 offers better performance for $117.

yea well im not up to date on prices for ryzen 5 2600

a refurb complete computer is $109, w/8gb ram, w10, 500gb, i5 4th gen 4590

one cpu or complete system

but i'd say if you can build out ryzen for $200 or 250 would be good!

im bored so i play on pcpartspicker and see what i can come up with

6 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

No point of going used i5 4th gen when ryzen 5 2600 offers better performance and value for $117.

DDR3 is around 2$/GB, DDR4 is more like 4-5$/GB

A i5-4570 is like 50$ and combined with a cheap 20-30$ H81 board + 30$ 16GB DDR3-1600 and a 1660 can make for a decent 1440p system.

A 2600 would require a B350/450 board which is like 50-80$, and it requires DDR4 which can more than 2x as expensive.

OP: Like previously mentioned, I wouldn't go with a E5-2650 v2.

A E5-1650 v2/v3 and a X79/X99 board + overclocking would do much better.

8 Haswell cores at 4.5ghz would do better than 16 ivy bridge cores at 3ghz

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

yea well im not up to date on prices for ryzen 5 2600

a refurb complete computer is $109, w/8gb ram, w10, 500gb, i5 4th gen 4590

That is not bad for a refurb complete system. Depends on psu, you can throw in rx 580 and call it a day.

5 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

What is your budget?

And

Is it going to be a full system build?

I'm really thinking of maybe going for a used workstation and just popping in whatever I'll need. Seems like it's really doable for no more than $600 from what I can tell. So hopefully I can come out around that ballpark. If I can do it well under $1000, that would be optimal, and I think it'll be doable.

4 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

That is not bad for a refurb complete system. Depends on psu, you can throw in rx 580 and call it a day.

is saw two, other was 4570 i5, gpu would depend on case, im not up to date on power required for rx 580, i think them oem's are 250W maybe 350W, i cant remember its been so long. yeah probably a no go for gaming 580, maybe gtx 750?

probably can hack the psu cable to install after market, but not worth the hassel for o.p.

missing-image.svg