Flight sim stuff

Go to solution Solved by Arphis,

@Wellingtonzed

The T.16000m HOTAS is a great option, used it a lot for Elite:Dangerous.

The throttle can take some time to get used to since its a slider and not for the small hand. Just like most things "ergonomic" it depends on your layout. I would recommend it though, because in a sim you can never have enough buttons at hand and the little slider on the stick is not sufficient for longer play times.

I would not consider the rudder a necessity if you are mostly playing IL-2. During long sessions of Elite, the yaw twist action can be fatiguing for your wrist, but you usually dont yaw as much in regular plane flight sims. You can still buy them later, so unless there is a good package deal I would not recommend them initially.

When it comes to Logitech I dont have any personal experience. All I know is that Logitech's competing product, the X52 is originally made by Saitek when they were owned by MadCatz and some of the complaints about there quality control read like Razer^2. Though recent reviews seem to mostly critize some deadzone jitter (mostly due to them using pot's).

1 hour ago, Wellingtonzed said:

but im willing to pay a bit more cause i really dont like the cheap plastic

The T.16000m is pretty much all plastic, but well manufactured, which just reminded me off the review that sold me on it:

conclusion at 41:33 yeah its in depth.

Right so im thinking of going more into flight sims, particularly interested in getting IL2 Battle of Stalingrad. 

It looks like ill need a flight stick and throttle stick. Maybe even pedals for rudder control? i dont know about that last one. 

suffice to say a flight stick and throttle stick is definitely gonna be needed.

Just lookin for something good value and on the cheap side. Some suggestions?

Generally a joystick has a throttle slider built in, and twisting the stick simulates rudder peddles, so that should be fine unless you just want the extra realism or experience of having that separate.  Functionally it should be fine to use an integrated one.  Haven't looked at joysticks in probably 10 years but that's because the one I have still works fine.  It's a Logitech, and I know they still make great stuff so you probably won't go wrong with anything there.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Logitech with a twist rudder instead of pedals for like $35-40 US is a good place to start.  If you like it and get more into it you can upgrade from there.

Those are both from brands I've never heard of and yet cost more than some of Logitech's offerings.  In fairness, I don't know anything about them and they might be great and worth every penny, but I just don't know that and my default position would be to be skeptical.

I was thinking more along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U/

It appears to be their current standard.  They change over time, mine is quite different, but as I said, also much older.

Edit: did some digging and sounds like Thrustmaster is something of a premium or at least specialized name in this market, so that is probably a good quality option, likely better than the logitech.  Again, I can't confirm from personal experience, but that's my feeling at this point.  Up to you if that's worth the price though.

Still no idea about that other no-name model though.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Uh, Thrust master is a major brand name. Its well known. Its like the samsung of flight sticks, car wheels etc.... Ive bought some of their stuff before. They set the industry standard. Im surprised you haven't heard of them. 

Yes the one you mentioned is an option, but im willing to pay a bit more cause i really dont like the cheap plastic. That being said its still an option. Ill skip the no name one. 

Either the Logitech or Thrust master at this point.

Actually scratch that. The logitech is better value. 

@Wellingtonzed

The T.16000m HOTAS is a great option, used it a lot for Elite:Dangerous.

The throttle can take some time to get used to since its a slider and not for the small hand. Just like most things "ergonomic" it depends on your layout. I would recommend it though, because in a sim you can never have enough buttons at hand and the little slider on the stick is not sufficient for longer play times.

I would not consider the rudder a necessity if you are mostly playing IL-2. During long sessions of Elite, the yaw twist action can be fatiguing for your wrist, but you usually dont yaw as much in regular plane flight sims. You can still buy them later, so unless there is a good package deal I would not recommend them initially.

When it comes to Logitech I dont have any personal experience. All I know is that Logitech's competing product, the X52 is originally made by Saitek when they were owned by MadCatz and some of the complaints about there quality control read like Razer^2. Though recent reviews seem to mostly critize some deadzone jitter (mostly due to them using pot's).

but im willing to pay a bit more cause i really dont like the cheap plastic

The T.16000m is pretty much all plastic, but well manufactured, which just reminded me off the review that sold me on it:

conclusion at 41:33 yeah its in depth.