$5,000 USD BUILD; Asus Maximus 11, EVGA z390 dark, gigabyte Xtreme z390, most reliable?

I have recently had to reassess a build I am going 5obbe starting by end of November 2019. I am down to 3 motherboards.

I have some concerns about reliability and a few other things.

I am considering the Maximus 11 vs the EVGA z390 dark vs the Gigabyte z390 Aorus Xtreme.

1. Neither the Asus or EVGA have on board thunderbolt 3. Do you have a solution for that?

2. Thoughts on all 3 boards in general?

3. The dark has only 2 ram slots vs the Maximus 11 and the Aorus Xtreme. 4x8 tend to have better binning I have found for bdie. Thoughts?

4. I have read the dark has had some bios issues with the 9900ks, do you folks know anything about this?

5. I have seen a LOT of bad reviews on the Gigabyte motherboards, regardless of what buildzoid has been saying about the vrm etc. Can anyone comment on this? If this is just nonsense marketplace complaints  (Reddit, Newegg, amazon) I would likely go Gigabyte.

6. In the link below I currently have a baracuda in there for mass storage, opinions on that product line?

If I went Maximus this is what things would look like, ignore the CPU cooler. it's a price I manually put in because I have an idea where I will be at for the cooling solution.

7 hours ago, Cypresser said:

I have recently had to reassess a build I am going 5obbe starting by end of November 2019. I am down to 3 motherboards.

I am considering the Maximus 11 vs the EVGA z390 dark vs the Gigabyte z390 Aorus Xtreme.

1. Neither the Asus or EVGA have on board thunderbolt 3. Do you have a solution for that?

3. The dark has only 2 ram slots vs the Maximus 11 and the Aorus Xtreme. 4x8 tend to have better binning I have found for bdie. Thoughts?

4. I have read the dark has had some bios issues with the 9900ks, do you folks know anything about this?

5. I have seen a LOT of bad reviews on the Gigabyte motherboards, regardless of what buildzoid has been saying about the vrm etc. Can anyone comment on this? If this is just nonsense marketplace complaints  (Reddit, Newegg, amazon) I would likely go Gigabyte.

6. In the link below I currently have a baracuda in there for mass storage, opinions on that product line?

If I went Maximus this is what things would look like, ignore the CPU cooler. it's a price I manually put in because I have an idea where I will be at for the cooling solution.

Your spending 5k and only have a 8 core processor ?  Also only 32GB RAM ?  Also the 1080Ti ?  I can make a build that will crush this minus your perihperals and what not.

Firstly with 5k you need a 2080Ti.  Also for 5k you need a 3900x or 3950x or upcoming Intel HEDT Cascade Lake.  I can make this exact build with a 10980XE 18 core CPU and mobo and RAM.  The three main things for 2k.  WTF is costing you 5k.  Also no reason to pay 140 dollars for Windows.. They have keys you can buy for 11 bucks.  At least on halloween it was like that.  140 is insane rip off.  The keys for Windows 10 are always like 11 bucks.  You have good components but still doesn't make sense to spend 5k and only have a 8 core processor and a old 1080Ti ... Also you don't need to spend soo much on these components.  Buy a 3900x and a 2080Ti if your spending 5k ya know.  Also do you know why your spending 500 dollars on a mobo ?  Or you just want the most expensive one and waste money.  What do you expect from that mobo, its not even a HEDT.  Your fine with a 200 to 300 dollars mobo.  Also get a Gigabyte motherboard if you plan on OCing that 9900KS.  good luck.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

7 hours ago, Cypresser said:

You're spending a whole lot of money on stuff you don't need.

Windows 10 keys can be bought from well known reputable sellers around several hardware forums (not sure if on LTT but hardOCP has some business owners who sell company issued ones).

Why are you spending $300 on a Samsung 970 Pro?  You can do better than that.  An Evo Plus or even a plain Evo will cut down those prices.

1600 watt PSU? What the hell are you using that for?  Grab a platinum 1000W (like the Seasonic 1000W Titanium Ultra) if you want to go oveboard like that.  That can handle 2x2080 TI's in SLI.

In what universe does a Corsair H110 cost $500 dollars?  What?

You can do much better on RAM. for that price.

GTX 1080 also doesn't cost that much.

Also you want the Maximus XI Apex, not the Gene, IMO although Gene is good.  The Apex is available now in USA finally on newegg (probably on amazon too) and has the best power delivery of the entire Maximus XI class (8 non doubled phases!).

The issues with the Dark are the auto settings on a 9900KS and the lack of "hidden" bios settings that other board ODM's expose for you.  The auto settings give a far too aggressive loadline calibration when used with auto vcore, combining "unknown" AC Loadline values with reducing vdroop -a very high value of AC Loadline (up to max Intel spec of 1.6 mOhms) should NEVER be combined with a high reduction in vdroop, ever!  The Dark is a 2 dimm slot overclocking board built for world record overclocking but is missing some important bios options (like adjusting AC/DC loadline settings or even VIEWING them!) that other boards, like Asus, allow you to change.  The Dark also does NOT support "on-die sense CPU voltage monitoring" nor does it support CPU current (amps) monitoring.  

There is apparently an XOC Dark Bios which allows extra hidden bios settings to be accessible (perhaps the AC/DC loadlines are available there--I do not know however).

1 hour ago, Turtle Rig said:

Your spending 5k and only have a 8 core processor ?  Also only 32GB RAM ?  Also the 1080Ti ?  I can make a build that will crush this minus your perihperals and what not.

Firstly with 5k you need a 2080Ti.  Also for 5k you need a 3900x or 3950x or upcoming Intel HEDT Cascade Lake.  I can make this exact build with a 10980XE 18 core CPU and mobo and RAM.  The three main things for 2k.  WTF is costing you 5k.  Also no reason to pay 140 dollars for Windows.. They have keys you can buy for 11 bucks.  At least on halloween it was like that.  140 is insane rip off.  The keys for Windows 10 are always like 11 bucks.  You have good components but still doesn't make sense to spend 5k and only have a 8 core processor and a old 1080Ti ... Also you don't need to spend soo much on these components.  Buy a 3900x and a 2080Ti if your spending 5k ya know.  Also do you know why your spending 500 dollars on a mobo ?  Or you just want the most expensive one and waste money.  What do you expect from that mobo, its not even a HEDT.  Your fine with a 200 to 300 dollars mobo.  Also get a Gigabyte motherboard if you plan on OCing that 9900KS.  good luck.

I forgot to mention that is a 2080 super card by EVGA with a full waterblock. I don't like agree on AMD, period. Zen 4, maybe.

The Mobo lots of reasons, I've literally watched every single buildzoid and debauer vid. I know what is up with these motherboards aside relabilty. Notice, I didn't put in the mail board. Not a fan of mail or ASRock. I did just notice that the Asus boards vrm is only a 5+2. Really. Gross. Friggin Asus needs to step up their game, literally.

54 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

You're spending a whole lot of money on stuff you don't need.

Windows 10 keys can be bought from well known reputable sellers around several hardware forums (not sure if on LTT but hardOCP has some business owners who sell company issued ones).

Why are you spending $300 on a Samsung 970 Pro?  You can do better than that.  An Evo Plus or even a plain Evo will cut down those prices.

1600 watt PSU? What the hell are you using that for?  Grab a platinum 1000W (like the Seasonic 1000W Titanium Ultra) if you want to go oveboard like that.  That can handle 2x2080 TI's in SLI.

In what universe does a Corsair H110 cost $500 dollars?  What?

You can do much better on RAM. for that price.

GTX 1080 also doesn't cost that much.

Also you want the Maximus XI Apex, not the Gene, IMO although Gene is good.  The Apex is available now in USA finally on newegg (probably on amazon too) and has the best power delivery of the entire Maximus XI class (8 non doubled phases!).

The issues with the Dark are the auto settings on a 9900KS and the lack of "hidden" bios settings that other board ODM's expose for you.  The auto settings give a far too aggressive loadline calibration when used with auto vcore, combining "unknown" AC Loadline values with reducing vdroop -a very high value of AC Loadline (up to max Intel spec of 1.6 mOhms) should NEVER be combined with a high reduction in vdroop, ever!  The Dark is a 2 dimm slot overclocking board built for world record overclocking but is missing some important bios options (like adjusting AC/DC loadline settings or even VIEWING them!) that other boards, like Asus, allow you to change.  The Dark also does NOT support "on-die sense CPU voltage monitoring" nor does it support CPU current (amps) monitoring.  

There is apparently an XOC Dark Bios which allows extra hidden bios settings to be accessible (perhaps the AC/DC loadlines are available there--I do not know however).

1. I didnt know that about win 10 keys. I do want pro FYI.

2. Tell me why I should buy the pro... I personally would rather the fastest out of the gate, money isn't a big thing, as long as it is spent once.

3. The PSU is the only PSU I have seen use gallium.

4. If you read the note about the water cooler. It is a placeholder. I am doing a very different custom waterloop that I will post when the build is done.

5. Thanks for the note on the dark.

_----------

I guess I maybe need to start a new thread specifically about gigabyte reliability concerns. I keep getting pointed in that direction, but keep getting worried about reliability due to SO many bad reviews compared to other manufacturers.

5 minutes ago, Cypresser said:

2. Tell me why I should buy the pro... I personally would rather the fastest out of the gate, money isn't a big thing, as long as it is spent once.

4. If you read the note about the water cooler. It is a placeholder. I am doing a very different custom waterloop that I will post when the build is done.

_----------

I guess I maybe need to start a new thread specifically about gigabyte reliability concerns. I keep getting pointed in that direction, but keep getting worried about reliability due to SO many bad reviews compared to other manufacturers.

Ill find you a Windows 10 key for 11 bucks.  Then knock down the motherboard as the guru chap above me said.  Also why on hearth you need to spend 500 dollars on a PSU ?  Do you plan on SLI or triplle SLI or crossfire then I can understand but facts are SLI is dead and nvidia knows it and so does Linus.  I urge you please for that money buy a 3900x and a 2080Ti .... Youll get head room when you buy a 150 dollar PSU and a 200ish motherboard.  Your not trying to send anyone to the moon a 650 watt PSU will do the job, for under 200 dollars, way under.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

43 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Ill find you a Windows 10 key for 11 bucks.  Then knock down the motherboard as the guru chap above me said.  Also why on hearth you need to spend 500 dollars on a PSU ?  Do you plan on SLI or triplle SLI or crossfire then I can understand but facts are SLI is dead and nvidia knows it and so does Linus.  I urge you please for that money buy a 3900x and a 2080Ti .... Youll get head room when you buy a 150 dollar PSU and a 200ish motherboard.  Your not trying to send anyone to the moon a 650 watt PSU will do the job, for under 200 dollars, way under.

I appreciate the hook up on the windows key.

I just love that PSU, I know it's ungodly overkill, I see it as future proof until it just stops operating. I have considered going down to a 1,000 platinum or titanium.

I prefer Intel's 9900k/ks over the AMD. Too much to explain why. I don't think it is worth waiting for Zen 4 in like 2021. If I update the CPU/Mobo it will be Zen 5 or 6, and by then maybe Intel will be 7nm or less, or AMD will be 5nm....

Please do note that the GPU is a placeholder, I missed that in the explanation, that's my fault. The card I am going with is not on pcpartpicker.

Link for GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-super-08g-p4-3289-kr/p/N82E16814487469

Note basically aside the motherboards I mentioned the apex was my only other onwas considering.

I just don't like the i/o or vrm on all the other boards.

Almost forgot, do you have comments on Gigabyte motherboards reliability? I've just seen soooo many bad reviews on all the marketplaces.

2 minutes ago, Cypresser said:

I appreciate the hook up on the windows key.

I just love that PSU, I know it's ungodly overkill, I see it as future proof until it just stops operating. I have considered going down to a 1,000 platinum or titanium.

I prefer Intel's 9900k/ks over the AMD. Too much to explain why. I don't think it is worth waiting for Zen 4 in like 2021. If I update the CPU/Mobo it will be Zen 5 or 6, and by then maybe Intel will be 7nm or less, or AMD will be 5nm....

Please do note that the GPU is a placeholder, I missed that in the explanation, that's my fault. The card I am going with is not on pcpartpicker.

Link for GPU.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-super-08g-p4-3289-kr/p/N82E16814487469

Almost forgot, do you have comments on Gigabyte motherboards reliability? I've just seen soooo many bad reviews on all the marketplaces.

Ok much better your getting a 2080 Super.  It will go great with a 9700k which gives same speed practically as a 9900k.  Ya and whats cool about that PSU is the fan doesn't spin.  Most load I have put on computer is 400ish wattage....  As for 7nm that wont happen until 2022 so pointless to wait.  Then a 3nm will come out then what ya know.....

54 minutes ago, Cypresser said:

_----------

I bought mine from the hardforum thread.  

https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-windows-7-8-1-10-server-12-16-office-10-13-16-win-10-pro-9-office-2019-proplus.1882816/

Guy's legit.

The Pro is a good drive but it's overpriced.  If you have money to spend comfortable, go for it.

I don't think that water cooler is supposed to to be that price.  What's the difference between a "H150" and "H150i" anyway?

21 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Ok much better your getting a 2080 Super.  It will go great with a 9700k which gives same speed practically as a 9900k.  Ya and whats cool about that PSU is the fan doesn't spin.  Most load I have put on computer is 400ish wattage....  As for 7nm that wont happen until 2022 so pointless to wait.  Then a 3nm will come out then what ya know.....

Right, and i am on the last legs of what I have rn

Heck I am using my phone to reply to these, and post at all. I can't really hang around too much longer. Touch to type can kill itself...

I don't plan on an update for the set up that this will be until like 2024-25 whatever thenext big run will be for like ps5 pro or ps6 etc (PlayStation).

As far as I am aware that PSU is simply so damned efficient that it won't need to spin (the fan).

Sorry for the confusion on the GPU.

22 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

I bought mine from the hardforum thread.  

https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-windows-7-8-1-10-server-12-16-office-10-13-16-win-10-pro-9-office-2019-proplus.1882816/

Guy's legit.

The Pro is a good drive but it's overpriced.  If you have money to spend comfortable, go for it.

I don't think that water cooler is supposed to to be that price.  What's the difference between a "H150" and "H150i" anyway?

Like I said, it's a placeholder, the CPU cooler ignore what it is. I have a weird custom setup i am working on.

It's the cost of the CPU cooler, pumps, radiator, tubing, fittings etc. It's just an estimate right now, might be less might be more, not sure yet.

Do either of you guys know much about the gigabyte motherboard reliability?

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on the marketplaces....

I do have a microcenter store near me. So, i legit could get one and keep returning it until I get a solid one. But what a pita...

To be clear, this Mobo.

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme (Intel LGA1151/Z390/E-ATX/3xM.2 Thermal Guard/Onboard AC Wi-Fi/ESS Sabre DAC/Gaming Motherboards) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KJ8LW4B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_km3WDb02HM6C2

13 minutes ago, Cypresser said:

Do either of you guys know much about the gigabyte motherboard reliability?

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on the marketplaces....

I do have a microcenter store near me. So, i legit could get one and keep returning it until I get a solid one. But what a pita...

To be clear, this Mobo.

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Xtreme (Intel LGA1151/Z390/E-ATX/3xM.2 Thermal Guard/Onboard AC Wi-Fi/ESS Sabre DAC/Gaming Motherboards) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KJ8LW4B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_km3WDb02HM6C2

Those look like seller issues (the screws missing one) and known Gigabyte issues (complaints about their RGB software and BIOS, they're known to be meh at best compared to the competition). Two questions though:

1. Are you absolutely set on Intel? I'm an Intel man myself, but at this price point you could wait a bit for the 3950X, or get a 3900X, assuming you do anything that will actually benefit from the extra cores (I'd want them for bragging rights lol, but usability wise my 8c/16t CPU is fine).

2. Why such an expensive mobo? Unless you're going for LN2 or something, a board like the Aorus Master is plenty and probably slight overkill. It has a shit ton of features still, but is a more manageable size and $200 less.

EDIT: read back a bit, you already addressed #1.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

There is a lot of overkill and overpriced parts in your build, like the 500$ 1600w power supply, are you trying to run a quad SLI setup?

I would also consider waiting for the 3950X or the new threadrippers if you are willing to pay 5K to build a PC.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BYk9Gc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($140.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($305.41 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card  ($1279.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer ATX Full Tower Case  ($157.10 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3158.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 21:09 EST-0500

Here is what an overkill PC look like

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

18 minutes ago, Caroline said:

$480 for a midrange AIO cooler? what the...

Read the thread and rethink that dubious comment.

9 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

There is a lot of overkill and overpriced parts in your build, like the 500$ 1600w power supply, are you trying to run a quad SLI setup?

Read the friggin thread....

45 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Those look like seller issues (the screws missing one) and known Gigabyte issues (complaints about their RGB software and BIOS, they're known to be meh at best compared to the competition). Two questions though:

1. Are you absolutely set on Intel? I'm an Intel man myself, but at this price point you could wait a bit for the 3950X, or get a 3900X, assuming you do anything that will actually benefit from the extra cores (I'd want them for bragging rights lol, but usability wise my 8c/16t CPU is fine).

2. Why such an expensive mobo? Unless you're going for LN2 or something, a board like the Aorus Master is plenty and probably slight overkill. It has a shit ton of features still, but is a more manageable size and $200 less.

EDIT: read back a bit, you already addressed #1.

Thanks for the well thought response.

I am seeing this same issue with gigabyte on; Reddit, Newegg, amazon, etc.

Though it is true that either they or msi have the best vrm. Buildzoid is all about Gigabyte. I do trust his review but he never covers things like reliability.

As for the master, it doesn't have all the I/O I want/need. I've priced out what I would need to do to get the same I/o with added cards etc and at that cost point the xtreme becomes a good deal. Seriously.

Example: (for z170/x99 but I don't see why it wouldn't work on z390)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/466938/asus-thunderbolt-expansion-card-for-asus-z170-and-x99-motherboards

3 minutes ago, Cypresser said:

Thanks for the well thought response.

I am seeing this same issue with gigabyte on; Reddit, Newegg, amazon, etc.

Though it is true that either they or msi have the best vrm. Buildzoid is all about Gigabyte. I do trust his review but he never covers things like reliability.

As for the master, it doesn't have all the I/O I want/need. I've priced out what I would need to do to get the same I/o with added cards etc and at that cost point the xtreme becomes a good deal. Seriously.

I think Buildzoid as been invited to the Gigabyte factory down in Taiwan that's why he love them so much, but i guess he can also be neutral in his reviews. Personally i don't like Gigabyte customer service, i dealt with them once and it was horrible....

You should also consider making a custom loop.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

5 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

I think Buildzoid as been invited to the Gigabyte factory down in Taiwan that's why he love them so much, but i guess he can also be neutral in his reviews. Personally i don't like Gigabyte customer service, i dealt with them once and it was horrible....

You should also consider making a custom loop.

In do have a custom loop planned that is what the 500ish placeholder in the list is for. (Says CPU cooler). Very custom setup.

If you go far enough back, he has been a gigabyte (lover, if you will) since the start. But he is very critical of their products as well, just seems to find them to be better for a lot of reasons.

I'm just concerned about reliability.

I am waiting to find out about the 3950x, but if it is really 800$ USD I don't think it will be worth it for performance. This is not a work station PC alone. If it was I would be looking at thread ripper. 

1 minute ago, Cypresser said:

In do have a custom loop planned that is what the 500ish placeholder in the list is for. (Says CPU cooler). Very custom setup.

I am waiting to find out about the 3950x, but if it is really 800$ USD I don't think it will be worth it for performance. This is not a work station PC alone. If it was I would be looking at thread ripper. 

If it's not a work station you can stick with the 9900K / KS or the 3700X/3800X but leaning on the AMD since next gen CPUs are rumoured to be on the AM4 socket.

8 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

If it's not a work station you can stick with the 9900K / KS or the 3700X/3800X but leaning on the AMD since next gen CPUs are rumoured to be on the AM4 socket.

I've been told that for sure Zen 4 but possibly even Zen 3, will need a new socket.

Also, see this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

So so many unanswered gigabyte problems with no recent vedor care.

I just wish that EVGA dark z390 had 4 ram slots and had better I/O.  I don't care about ln2, right now. Maybe next summer.

Just now, Caroline said:

You don't tell me what to do troll so I better block you and gtfo of this shitpost.

You didn't even read the thread your comment showed you didn't read the thread or the op even... You looked at the list and didn't read what was written. 

Yes, if you don't have anything constructive to add please block me and leave the thread, you are not helping anyone.

32 minutes ago, Cypresser said:

Some manufacturers don't give a damn about what is being said on Reddit, if you have issue with a product just go on the support section of each manufacturers. The issue i faced with Gigabyte customer service is their canned answers.... I had issues with the B450 Ds3H i bought for my first build, i lost sound through the HDMI port on my GPU because of the BIOS updates, 30,31 and 32. I told them what was exactly the issue, it's the BIOS guys, didn't had any issue before updating it and with the 3 latest version it doesn't work at all. i was told it was something else before they sent me a beta version of their F40 BIOS, magically sound came back but RAM was increadibly unstable..... first and last Gigbayte product i bought.

6 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Some manufacturers don't give a damn about what is being said on Reddit, if you have issue with a product just go on the support section of each manufacturers. The issue i faced with Gigabyte customer service is their canned answers.... I had issues with the B450 Ds3H i bought for my first build, i lost sound through the HDMI port on my GPU because of the BIOS updates, 30,31 and 32. I told them what was exactly the issue, it's the BIOS guys, didn't had any issue before updating it and with the 3 latest version it doesn't work at all. i was told it was something else before they sent me a beta version of their F40 BIOS, magically sound came back but RAM was increadibly unstable..... first and last Gigbayte product i bought.

Who, EVGA or Asus are you finding to be more reliable then? Or perhaps, just better customer service?