MX Red Keyboard w/ Media Keys Suggestion

I've been searching for a new a new keyboard and wondering if I could get some suggestions based on what I've already tried. Keyboard pricing generally seems to be in the $150 range for what I'm looking for through my research, but generally I'm open to any price pending a good recommendation. Primarily used for gaming and general computing. Will probably not be swapping keycaps, and would prefer double-shot or PBT.

I'm looking for a sleek looking full-size keyboard with media keys (play/pause, skip/back, volume & mute) and Cherry MX Reds. I don't use keyboard macros, and while RGB is appreciated, I currently only really use backlit keys. I'm using a Logitech G510 at the moment, and after trying out different mechanical keyboards and switches in stores, it's time to switch.

In terms of appearance, I enjoy the Logitech style, such as that of K840 or G413. I like the original Razer Huntsman, except it has no media controls, and I'm not a big fan of the volume wheel on the Elite version. I did like the typing feel on the Huntsman Elite, but with quality issues / premium pricing, I think there are better options out there.

I generally liked the look of the SteelSeries Apex 7, but on the fence about how the typing felt.

I did not really enjoy Corsair keyboards. Personally can't stand the font or spacebar texture. I tested the K70 in store and didn't like it all the much.

I've been looking into the Ducky One 2 but couldn't try one out. From what I've read it sounds like a quality keyboard, just lacks a few features I'd want. Still one of my top contenders.

Any suggestions or reviews on some of the keyboards I mentioned here would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried checking out Logitech's keyboards? They're not Cherry MX, but they do have their own Romer-G switches and I've heard from other people that some of the models can "feel like a Cherry MX".

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

3 minutes ago, chowbaaron said:

I've been searching for a new a new keyboard and wondering if I could get some suggestions based on what I've already tried. Keyboard pricing generally seems to be in

G.skill has you covered, past $100 I'd only go for wireless keyboards really.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CXyxFT/gskill-keyboard-gkksr1c4km780rs10na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yPX2FT/gskill-keyboard-gkkcl1c4km780rs10na

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, Xiee said:

Have you tried checking out Logitech's keyboards? They're not Cherry MX, but they do have their own Romer-G switches and I've heard from other people that some of the models can "feel like a Cherry MX".

I've enjoyed Logitech products in the past, and as I mentioned in my post, I enjoy the aesthetics of the keyboards I've looked at from them. I didn't have an opportunity to test them in stores however. Most of the reviews I hear about them are about how "mushy" the keys feel, although considering I'm coming from a rubber dome keyboard, I'm not sure I'll notice too much, especially if they're at a nice price point and will last a few years at least.

The first thing that comes to mind is this abomination. The pricing seems to have increased recently.

https://www.newegg.com/p/32N-00FD-00001?Description=dsi keyboard&cm_re=dsi_keyboard-_-9SIAHNXA2U8558-_-Product

It's an overall terrible keyboard to go with the terrible Cherry MX Red switches, but the pricing isn't the worst, and it has media controls and a USB hub.

Here's a review.

The Romer G switches that Logitech likes to use are considered terrible, and they don't allow you to swap out the terrible keycaps for halfway decent ones. Ducky unfortunately only uses Cherry switches, but you can take it apart, desolder and replace them.

What's your actual budget? $150 is not a whole lot for custom keyboards. What type of switches do you actually like?

You can get a custom keyboard and have media controls in a layer (or put the media controls on keys you don't regularly use), but dedicated buttons are quite uncommon.

If you're willing to spend more (about $450-500), you can get something like the KBD19X. For good linear switches, check the Tealios, Ink Red/Blacks, and Box Red/Blacks. Then add a nice set of keycaps, and you have a quite nice keyboard.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/fully-assembled-keyboard/products/fully-assembled-kbd19x-keyboard

:)

People here are talking about Logitech's old Romer G switches (which are pretty mediocre tbh) but not their new, Kailh-made GX switches smh

For starters, I find that dedicated media controls waste a lot of space on the board and make the bezels bigger than they need to be, so I don't think I could recommend them. Considering your budget, I'd suggest the Logitech G Pro X, which can be bought with linear switches and can also be hotswapped for other linear (or tactile) switches if you so choose. I would recommend getting switches from Novelkeys or whatever your local keyswitch seller is tho, because Logitech charges an insane $50 for a pack of 92 switches.

There's also the DSI 90 key that I reviewed (thank you @seon123 for linking my review!) but it's pretty terrible and feels like you're typing on sandpaper. I don't know if I can recommend it unless you want to tinker with it.