The best build for modded minecraft server.

Astralshiki

Hello! I am looking at a budget of 600-800$

The build is mostly to run heavily modded minecraft servers. I know I need good budget processors with alot of single core power, with multi-threading almost being unused. but beyond this I am kinda at a loss.

Go with an Intel CPU and 16GB ram. You don't need a GPU if this system is only gonna be used for servers.

How many people do you think will be logged on the server at any given time? And also what mods are you planning on installing?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does your budget include a monitor and all that.

According to me a server should be connected to a monitor or TV which isn't used that much...

3 minutes ago, ShadBot said:

-snip-

Why is there a wifi card?? ? Isn't that kinda pointless for a server?

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Why is there a wifi card?? ? Isn't that kinda pointless for a server?

It is for protection. Say the ethernet isn't working? Well it isn't necessary, but I always prefer to have one in a PC

2 hours ago, ShadBot said:

It is for protection. Say the ethernet isn't working? Well it isn't necessary, but I always prefer to have one in a PC

If the internet isnt working, the wifi isnt working...

Zen 2 is handily spanking the 9400f. Ryzen boost clock is infinite, Intel boost clock is in short bursts. The 3400G is faster at base and boost, is unlocked if you wanted to overclock it, comes with a useable cooler.

Ryzen has a setting that allows you to use a single core at higher frequency if that's your desire. 

Really in my mind, all i5s are out. You could grab a 9700K if you want Intel that makes sense. You'll need a solid MOBO and a good cooler to bring it to that level of effectiveness. 

I'm unsure if the GPU advice given is sound. If no GPU is needed, then the 3400G is boss. If a GPU makes sense, then a 3600 is your guy and there is plenty of budget left for a GPU. 

On 11/5/2019 at 2:55 AM, ShadBot said:

Does your budget include a monitor and all that.

According to me a server should be connected to a monitor or TV which isn't used that much...

Sorry for the late reply, The pc will only be used for servers. I was gonna connect it to my old tv, mouse and keyboard not needed

On 11/5/2019 at 3:06 AM, ShadBot said:

Here is my recommendation

imageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aimageproxy.php?img=&key=0c2a8b7d8afbc61aMinecraft.thumb.png.c17c69445ddeb33efce08c94160c0c16.png

Modded.thumb.png.cc33d7e362a4ac71df97644a55a37750.png

Server.png.3a016d2264e92c7d81d1dd21b0a4a3f3.png

Thank you! I really like this, though I don't need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. This is only for servers so would I still need the graphics card?

On 11/5/2019 at 1:02 AM, Uptivuptiz said:

Go with an Intel CPU and 16GB ram. You don't need a GPU if this system is only gonna be used for servers.

How many people do you think will be logged on the server at any given time? And also what mods are you planning on installing?

These all kinda vary. I don't plan on running one particular pack, I'm wanting to just be able to host modded servers for me and friends to play over the weekend. 

• 1 year later...

I run a AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost (Ebay has them cheaper) shop around and use about 20 gb ram for my moded ftb revelation server   server is running smooth

I baught a cheap GIGABYTE B450 AORUS M on ebay for less than 75 used       I did buy 4x16gb of ram which was the expensive part being it was a kit but wanted the option of putting more servers up    one last thing    I did use a Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 pcie nvme  but not at first      i did have some block lag  before the upgrade  and the new drive cleared that up

On 11/7/2019 at 12:16 AM, Astralshiki said:

Thank you! I really like this, though I don't need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. This is only for servers so would I still need the graphics card?

I tried running my MC server without a GPU and it immediately quit working.

I added it back in and only completely resetting it (deleting all the files) fixed it.

elephants