How to make a Quality Recording set-up?

I've always been interested in improving my mic quality and recently I decided to invest in a microphone in order to record voice clips/guitar. The only problem is I have no idea where to start, can anyone explain the kinds of things I'm going to need and maybe some equipment you recommend? I'm willing to spend around $200-$400

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

What software do you use? Do you have a good guitar amp? What other equipment do you have/need? (stands, wind screen etc)

Basically, you'll need two components specifically for the recording. You'll need an audio interface and (of course) a mic.

I'm going to wait for you to answer the above before I recommend anything.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What software do you use? Do you have a good guitar amp? What other equipment do you have/need? (stands, wind screen etc)

Basically, you'll need two components specifically for the recording. You'll need an audio interface and (of course) a mic.

I'm going to wait for you to answer the above before I recommend anything.

Thanks for the reply,

So for the last couple months I've been using Adobe Audition, and I have a pretty decent Fender Mustang II amp. I have a pretty decent pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s for headphones and that's the extent of my gear

I'm gonna butt in and recommend the audio-technica ATR-2020 mic. You can get it in USB and XLR, so you'll need an interface if you go with the XLR version (kinda recommend doing that for instrument recording).

Basically if you want good quality recordings I would suggest you double your budget, spend $200-300 on a decent condenser mic like a rode NT1 or similar. then spend the same again on a good preamp. If you don't start with a good mic an preamp it doesn't matter how good your interface or software is because you can't polish a turd.

There are also plenty of good free multi tracking software out there, and some interfaces even come with a copy of pro tools/cubase.  So be on the lookout for that. 

My last bit of advice, spend time in music shops, looking, drooling and just chatting with the guys, find a few shops and soon you'll work out what to avoid and what save for, Just don't become that annoying guy who won't leave and never buys anything or they'll tell you anything to get rid of you. 

Good luck.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Basically if you want good quality recordings I would suggest you double your budget, spend $200-300 on a decent condenser mic like a rode NT1 or similar. then spend the same again on a good preamp. If you don't start with a good mic an preamp it doesn't matter how good your interface or software is because you can't polish a turd.

There are also plenty of good free multi tracking software out there, and some interfaces even come with a copy of pro tools/cubase.  So be on the lookout for that. 

My last bit of advice, spend time in music shops, looking, drooling and just chatting with the guys, find a few shops and soon you'll work out what to avoid and what save for, Just don't become that annoying guy who won't leave and never buys anything or they'll tell you anything to get rid of you. 

Good luck.

Perfect! Thanks so much for the advice, I'll look into that in the mornin:)

I've been interested in this myself and after some research, I feel like theirs not many good options for guitar and voice commentary, a few things to think about.

a USB condenser mic can be good/decent for voice but are far too sensitive for electric guitar.

I thought a good alternative would be an interface like a Focusrite but they don't record in stereo... so you'll be editing all the time(which isn't bad for instruments but annoying for commentary and skype, gaming ect ect)

Sounds like a Mixer is the best option but I'm not sure myself on what make and models.

If you do go XLR over USB... I highly recommend you buy a Shure SM57, the #1 go to mic for guitar recording.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | I7 930 2.80GHz(stock) | Noctua NH-D14 | 6GB Corsair @ 1600 | Sapphire 5850 Toxic Edition 1GB | Corsair TX750W | Corsair C70 black |<p>Collection of Parts for next build: Corsair 760T | Windows 7 Pro | Corsair AX850 |http://jond7.deviantart.com/ - https://www.facebook.com/JonD7

I've been interested in this myself and after some research, I feel like theirs not many good options for guitar and voice commentary, a few things to think about.

a USB condenser mic can be good/decent for voice but are far too sensitive for electric guitar.

I thought a good alternative would be an interface like a Focusrite but they don't record in stereo... so you'll be editing all the time(which isn't bad for instruments but annoying for commentary and skype, gaming ect ect)

Sounds like a Mixer is the best option but I'm not sure myself on what make and models.

If you do go XLR over USB... I highly recommend you buy a Shure SM57, the #1 go to mic for guitar recording.

SM57 is a good mic not doubt.  Be very weary of cheap usb mixers though.  they can have some terribly latency and the quality isn't always up to scratch.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

SM57 is a good mic not doubt. Be very weary of cheap usb mixers though. they can have some terribly latency and the quality isn't always up to scratch.

I've noticed that as well... I've seen people using regular Mixers with Audio Interfaces hooked up to the PC, wonder if this really does help with latency.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | I7 930 2.80GHz(stock) | Noctua NH-D14 | 6GB Corsair @ 1600 | Sapphire 5850 Toxic Edition 1GB | Corsair TX750W | Corsair C70 black |<p>Collection of Parts for next build: Corsair 760T | Windows 7 Pro | Corsair AX850 |http://jond7.deviantart.com/ - https://www.facebook.com/JonD7

The problem here is that your voice mic and your guitar mic won't be the same, since they're geared so differently. The Shure SM57 is the workhorse guitar mic, but there's plenty of others like the Sennheiser e609 that you can look into. I do a bit of voice acting and have gotten quite a bit of quality out of the AKG Perception 220, which is about the cheapest condenser I'd recommend for vocal work (MXL is cheaper, but they also have pretty severe variance within each model. If you get a good one, they're awesome, but you might also get a mediocre one, and it's luck of the draw).

Forget what the guy above me said about stereo or mono. One microphone only ever equals one audio input, so you're always recording in mono unless you hook up two microphones at once. Even if it gets mixed out to two channels in software, or if a USB mic outputs as stereo, the output from a single mic is still functionally identical to mono. Which is awesome, because that makes it a lot easier to work with than if you had to filter out the left and right to get the best sound.

You'll need an audio interface as well. My top recommendation for you would be the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but if that's a bit much, try the Presonus Audiobox.

All that being said - this won't be cheap. The SM57 goes for about $100 US, the AKG goes for about $180 (although if you keep an eye out you can usually find it marked way, way down), and the Focusrite is $150. You'll also need XLR cables and stands, which will push the price up further.

If you want to know more, I suggest poking your head into the ultimate-guitar.com forums. I've been away from that site for a while, but if it's anything like it was when I left, there'll be plenty of people there willing to help you figure out a good solution.

EDIT: @JonD7: If it's just a regular analog mixer, there should be no increase in the latency. The delay is just a matter of how fast the interface and the software can convert the signal from analog to digital and back, so once it's out of the interface, the work is all done.

You're and your are not the same. Neither are their, there, and they're. Defiantly and Definitely are definitely not the same. Definately and Rediculous are not words, and you should feel bad for misspelling them. If English is your first language, you don't have a learning disorder, and you get any of these wrong, you are making the entire forum slightly dumber by doing so. Please take the extra three seconds to type properly, and have a nice day.

@frustratedrocka Awesome post, very informative.

I would not suggest getting a mixer unless you plan on having lots of mics/instruments all running at the same time. It's really a waste of money if you're just doing vocals and guitar. I'd get something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, plug in your guitar/mic, and than record to your software. It also has xlr outputs to monitors, or other things. And a headphone port for monitoring. 

As for microphones, defiantly go XLR. Get yourself a good mic for around 200$, and spend the rest on a interface to plug it into. (Like the one mentioned above) Spending more on a microphone is going to be noticeable. Your M50's are perfect for monitoring and music production, so don't worry about that. 

Also, get a good area to record in. Put up some sound absorbing foam in the area, and make sure you have plenty of noise isolation. 

I think it should also be noted that having a good mic is almost irrelevant if it's not positioned properly to your mouth, it's moving around a lot on your desk while you're recording, and it doesn't have a pop filter. Invest in a proper desk mount and pop filter while you're at it.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

So here's where I'm at right now,

This morning before class I ran over to my local music store to check out the products they had. I checked out 5 or 6 mics and a couple of the interfaces and decided I really like the look and sound of the Audio Technica AT4040 and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these products or any objections? I'd love to hear your feedback

AT4040 post-56901-0-47078100-1391786827_thumb.j

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 post-56901-0-60186500-1391786834_thumb.j

I'd suggest going for an Apex 460 instead for your microphone.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I've noticed that as well... I've seen people using regular Mixers with Audio Interfaces hooked up to the PC, wonder if this really does help with latency.

It does help because it is the interface that causes latency issues.  The problem with the cheap usb mixers is that they have cheap interfaces built in to them, so you get an abundance of features but at the cost of latency (and sometimes SQ). but if you get a separate mixer (then you have all the nice features like preamps, stereo in, pre eq, etc) and then get a simpler but much better quality interface you then get better latency.  Plus going this way you get a more customizable setup, e.g if you get any outboard units you can patch them directly into the signal path for any input.