Statistically, Anthony in thumbnails could increase likes per view

vladdeSV

Hello LTT community. First post here.

I compiled a list of LTT's last ~220 videos, and gathered some statistics about them. I have found that videos which have Anthony present in the thumbnail have a higher "like per view" ratio (LPV) than the average. Higher LPV means more people who viewed the video also pressed the like button.

My data can be viewed at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m_oUwQ6adstLfIZI1qQPigrVnubTOhVKtSGGKs41jHk/edit?usp=sharing

Before I continue, let me make it clear that this data set only focuses on videos' thumbnails and videos' LPV. This does not conclude that videos with Anthony in the thumbnail will cause more likes (Correlation does not imply causation).

LTT's videos have an average LPV of 0.0317, with the majority of the videos' LPV being in the range of 0.02 and 0.05. Thumbnails featuring Anthony have a higher LPV than those featuring Linus (Anthony with 0.0392, Linus with 0.0310). Worth of note here is Linus is present in almost all thumbnails (180 out of 222 times, ~81% of all thumbnails) and therefore has the potential to be in more videos, which could lower the average LPV

Out of the videos with a LPV of >=0.04, 66.67% feature Linus in the thumbnail. Second place is Anthony, with 20% of videos featuring him. This is far greater than the third shared spot of Riley, Dennis, Alex, James, and Brandon, with only a percentage of 3.33%.

Out of all videos featuring Anthony in the thumbnail, circa 35% of those videos have a LPV >=0.04. For Linus, circa ~11% of the videos have a LPV >=0.04.

Thinks to take into considerations in my observation:

• This only looks at the thumbnail, and does not consider the content of the video.
  • This data represents statistics gathered at 2019-10-29.
  • Only the last ~220 videos are taken into account.
  • The longer a video exists, the more views, likes, and dislikes it accumulates. This is not considered.
  • Effects of changes to titles and thumbnails are not considered.
  • When comparing LPV, I commonly use 0.02, 0.03, and 0.04. There is no specific reason to why these milestones are used, other than they felt like natural options to me.

If any of you in the community have any input on this, any form of feedback will be greatly appreciated. I am no statistician, so If I am reading this completely wrong I would like to know ?

tl;dr: i found a correlation between having anthony in ltt's thumbnails and an increase in likes per view.

Edited by vladdeSV
Change title to be slighly less click-baity

don't say banana

I did this because I could not agree more with comments similar to

I am a simple man. I see Anthony, I click.

, and wanted to see if this holds up statistically.

I could not find any correlation between Anthony in the thumbnail and the amount of views for a video. Rarely did videos with Anthony in the thumbnail in them go over 2 million views, and also almost never under 1 million views. However, I did find that videos with Anthony in the thumbnail had a greater "like per view"

Edited by vladdeSV
Clarify that my initial though of videos with Anthony had more views was not right, however that LPV was higher

don't say banana

How much coffee did you have this morning?!

Seriously though, it's probably not the fact that Anthony is in the thumbnail, it's the fact that when Anthony is in the video you know actual thought and effort went in to that video, so it's more likely to be more 'quality' content, and therefore get more likes

Anthony and Alex are my top 2 LMG presenters, I've always found Luke to be overrated (don't @ me) and Linus is just meh. 

If Anthony is in the video, you know you're going to learn something

If Alex is in the video, you know it's chaos is about to ensue!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

15 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

Seriously though, it's probably not the fact that Anthony is in the thumbnail, it's the fact that when Anthony is in the video you know actual thought and effort went in to that video, so it's more likely to be more 'quality' content, and therefore get more likes

I certainly believe there are different expectations of the type of content depending on who is presenting it. Videos with Anthony are usually calm and informative, which happens to be exactly the type of video I prefer.

It would be very interesting if I could see when people pressed the like button. I think (no source on this) that people who like a video in the beginning are more set to send a message, rather than showing their enjoyment of the content itself. I believe that people who like videos with Anthony in them at the beginning of the video wants to send a message of "More Anthony", where as those in the middle or the end are more leaned towards the content itself.

Looking at the other videos with views in the 4 million range have a much lower like per view ratio. It would be interesting to see what would happen if videos featuring Anthony got up to those numbers, if they still would have a higher like per view ratio than the current average.

I've always found Luke to be overrated (don't @ me)

Statistically speaking, videos featuring Luke have the lowest likes per view ratio. This, I believe however, is because Luke is more often found in the WAN show

I have a lot more exploring I want to do, but I haven't had the time to do so far. My data set is very limited. It would be fun to do have a broader data set.

How much coffee did you have this morning?!

I've had 7 cups of coffee today.

don't say banana

59 minutes ago, vladdeSV said:

This data represents statistics gathered at 2019-12-29

You're able to collect data in the future?

Man, we gotta talk about some lottery numbers!

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Exactly, as I pointed out in the just below the link to the data.

I think that concise, informative, videos with a soothing voice gather more likes.

Which also happens to match the type of videos Anthony often is present in.

don't say banana