New PSU Help

Jaime

Hello my psu (XFX TS 550W) Cant handle with my new Gpu ( Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro )

So,

I need to buy a new one,

Im currently on budget- 130$ max.

Looking for a modular/semi-modular psu

So much offer these days, that i have no idea what to buy

Hope you guys can help me

1 minute ago, Jaime said:

Hello my psu (XFX TS 550W) Cant handle with my new Gpu ( Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro )

So,

I need to buy a new one,

Looking for a modular/semi-modular psu

So much offer these days, that i have no idea what to buy

Hope you guys can help me

I always recommend Corsair rmx, rm550x honestly speaking should be enough, but go 650 or 750 if you really want.

1 minute ago, Jaime said:

Corsair TXM or RMX, Coolermaster MWE Gold, bequiet! Pure Power 10/11. 550w should be enough, 650w for a bit of room :) 

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

I always recommend Corsair rmx, rm550x honestly speaking should be enough, but go 650 or 750 if you really want.

Thank You ! 

I will see these psu.

1 hour ago, Plouffe said:

Corsair TXM or RMX, Coolermaster MWE Gold, bequiet! Pure Power 10/11. 550w should be enough, 650w for a bit of room :) 

Thank You :)

1 hour ago, OrionFOTL said:

Why do you think it can't handle it?

Well, Because my pc reboots when is on Load. like Playing The Outer Worlds, Metro Exodus.

Instant reboot everytime i try to benchmark on FurMark

I tried erverything to solve the problem:

Fresh Windows install

Clean Driver (DDU)

Update Bios

Update Drivers

Cpu test,

Ram Test.

Just Everything

I tried my pc using a different psu ( Corsair CX 600) and i had no problems , no reboots.

3 hours ago, Jaime said:

I tried my pc using a different psu ( Corsair CX 600) and i had no problems , no reboots.

There isn't that much of a difference between the output of the TS 550 and the CX 600.  Either the TS just needs replacement anyways or your system is right on the edge of its power requirement and thé CX gave it enough of a boost to stabilize it.

The RX 5700 XT Nitro is a pretty vicious card.  I see a lot of people reporting PSU issues with it.   Going with another 550 watt unit is highly ill-advised in my view.  I recommend  650w minimum here.  

22 hours ago, Jaime said:

XFX TS 550W

which TS? gold or bronze?

22 hours ago, Jaime said:

if you are located in the US. look at the Bitfenix Whisper M 550w or Straightpower 11 550. 

should be among the best in the sub 100$ category. just get whichever is cheaper. 

21 hours ago, FALC0N said:

There isn't that much of a difference between the output of the TS 550 and the CX 600.  Either the TS just needs replacement anyways or your system is right on the edge of its power requirement and thé CX gave it enough of a boost to stabilize it.

The RX 5700 XT Nitro is a pretty vicious card.  I see a lot of people reporting PSU issues with it.   Going with another 550 watt unit is highly ill-advised in my view.  I recommend  650w minimum here.  

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

which TS? gold or bronze?

if you are located in the US. look at the Bitfenix Whisper M 550w or Straightpower 11 550. 

should be among the best in the sub 100$ category. just get whichever is cheaper. 

TS Bronze.

I Will check 

Probably next year , im gonna upgrade my cpu, ram, 

Probably an I7 or an Amd.. 

650 Watts its enough ? 

Thank You

4 minutes ago, Jaime said:

TS Bronze.

ts bronze is as far as i'm aware a Seasonic S12ii, a rather outdated 10 year old platform that i wouldn't put much stress on, as it's group regulated and too much load on the 12v compared to the 5v can bring it out of spec

1 hour ago, Jaime said:

TS Bronze.

I Will check 

Makes sence why falcon commented then. Suggesting more wattage when its not the issue. The real issue is the age of the S12ii

1 hour ago, Jaime said:

650 Watts its enough ? 

A good 550w is more than enough for any consumer config. 

On 10/31/2019 at 6:06 PM, GoldenLag said:

Makes sence why falcon commented then. Suggesting more wattage when its not the issue. The real issue is the age of the S12ii

Thank You :D

I would highly recommend a tiny undervolt, -5% voltage. Will cause a bit drop in power hunger and temperatures, won't affect performance 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

On 10/31/2019 at 9:52 AM, LukeSavenije said:

ts bronze is as far as i'm aware a Seasonic S12ii, a rather outdated 10 year old platform that i wouldn't put much stress on, as it's group regulated and too much load on the 12v compared to the 5v can bring it out of spec

No it won't.   We have had this discussion a few times.  The S12II series does not go out of spec on 12v crossloads.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:06 AM, GoldenLag said:

If age is the issue then why did the cx600 not have issues?  Its a double forward, group regulated unit too.  Its not out of the question, but my sense it that there is something more at work here.

ANY config?  How about a Radeon R9 295X2 and an FX 9000 series cpu?

On 10/31/2019 at 9:46 AM, Jaime said:

650 Watts its enough ?

Yes.  GoldenLag isn't totally wrong when he says a good 550 would probably work too, BUT I have seen that particular card cause a lot of psu issues. In your case, it has already done so once.   I think the safest thing to do in that instance is to make sure you get a high end PSU and up the wattage a bit.  Don't break the bank doing it, but its $20 more to get an RM650x instead of the 550x. 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:16 AM, Vejnemojnen said:

I would highly recommend a tiny undervolt, -5% voltage. Will cause a bit drop in power hunger and temperatures, won't affect performance 

This is actually a really good suggestion.   I have seen a GPU undervolt solve a few of these types of issues.

25 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

No it won't.   We have had this discussion a few times.  The S12II series does not go out of spec on 12v crossloads.

just thinking... have you ever shown me crossload data?

15 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

ANY config?  How about a Radeon R9 295X2 and an FX 9000 series cpu?

Judging by the load scenarios they would encounter, id say yes. A good 550w would still work there. Not full synthetic load tho

And thats not counting the fact im refering to single GPU non-hedt configs as consumer. As dual-GPU configs are more is less dead kn the water these days outside of machine learning and GPU rendering. At which point its nolonger consumer.

18 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

If age is the issue then why did the cx600 not have issues?  Its a double forward, group regulated unit too.  Its not out of the question, but my sense it that there is something more at work here.

I suspect it could be a quirk of the older plattform of the s12ii. 

Navi isnt power hungry, but its likely it has some demands certain older PSUs, like perhaps the S12ii, simply cant deliver.  Assuming its a non-modified S12ii plattform. 

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

just thinking... have you ever shown me crossload data?

Have you? 

There have been links to 3 or 4 reviews of S12II and S12II based units posted here in the last two months, including at least one by you.  None of them have displayed the behavior you describe.  I could post more if I really wanted to, but your the guy doing the PSU tier list, remember?  This is one you should be able to figure out on your own.  Especially given that the S12II is one of the most reviewed units of all time.

31 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I suspect it could be a quirk of the older plattform of the s12ii.

A fair point. That sort of thing is always possible, even with newer units.

Navi isnt power hungry, but its likely it has some demands certain older PSUs, like perhaps the S12ii, simply cant deliver.  Assuming its a non-modified S12ii plattform. 

That particular card can push 300 watts.  It's not exactly a lightweight.  I just know that I see a lot of issues with them that are finally resolved with new PSU's.  It's a good card, but I am wary of it if you aren't sporting a meaty PSU.  Remember, a little more wattage can help with big transient spikes too.  It's not strictly about sustained load.  Just don't downgrade quality for wattage.  That would be a mistake.

Good point about it possibly being modified.  S12II based XFX units always seem to display odd behaviors.  I have no idea what they change but I never trusted them as much as other variants.  Especially true of the TS series, which the specs claim has DC to DC .   I am not aware of any reviews of this unit either.