Logitech MX Keys - Short Review

Shrepto

I just wanted to do a short review of the Logitech MX Keys if anyone was on the fence about it.

I'm currently using this keyboard at the office, and I have to say after about a three weeks of owning it that I absolutely love it.  I had been using the standard HP chiclet keyboard that came with the computers we have here.  My work was suffering, I dreaded doing the typing-input tasks required for my job.  I picked up the MX Keys at Microcenter for around $100.

First, this is a chiclet keyboard, so if that turns you off then maybe this isn't for you.  This keyboard also has scissor switches, which may also be a turn off for many.  They bottom out quickly and hard for heavy typists like myself.  The board is very sturdy and doesn't have much flex to it.  Unfortunately, this board doesn't come with any adjustments for the back height and has a natural slope to it.  It has illumination that only works in the dark, and in the light it doesn't even stay on even if you want it to.  For what it is worth, the illumination looks very professional when it works.  The function keys share themselves with screen brightness, alt tabbing, led brightness, and media keys.  It comes with a neat function to work as a keyboard for multiple computers which has absolutely no use for this.

So why do I love a keyboard with so many negatives? (I even had to use double sided Gorilla tape and added spacers to the front to make it sit flat like I wanted it to.)  I can't really answer it, as I'm not sure.  It is extremely heavy - which is great for my messy desk as it doesn't slide around on papers or anything else very easily.  They typing experience isn't anything to write home about, but maybe it is my love for chiclet style keyboards combined with such a brutal keystroke that excites the masochist in me.  I look forward to processing invoices now and bottoming out the key, banging away louder than the other plebs in the office.

Why buy this keyboard?  Well, someone's preference for one keyboard over another is subjective.  The MX Keys typing experience is like driving an old stick shift that doesn't have synchros to me.  It's enjoyable, but not for conventional reasons.  Something just ticks that makes me go, "Yupp, this is something I want to keep doing."  Hell, it's the reason why I am typing this up right now.