Will my gtx 1080 bottleneck a ryzen 7 3700x

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Truthfully, most people have a HUGE misconception of what a bottleneck is.. technically almost all systems are bottlenecked by the GPU. Yes, you do lose a little FPS because the IPC isnt 100% up to par with say Intel, but technically nothing is perfect and all high end systems are bottlenecked by the GPU as the GPU cant send enough frames to keep the CPUs fed. In some cases, the CPU is the bottleneck and cant process the frames the GPU sends. This is the only real issue in terms of performance loss and noticeable difference. 

Hey guys, so currently I'm running a gtx 1080 on a ryzen 5 1600,whixh let's face it is a crazy bottleneck, and it's not letting out my gpu's true performance. Im looking for an upgrade, and I'm also willing to upgrade the motherboard if I have to. So anyways, I was just wondering if a ryzen 7 3700x would bottleneck my gpu, and what is the current best cpu to pair with my gtx 1080? 

Thanks, 

Crainingamimg

Truthfully, most people have a HUGE misconception of what a bottleneck is.. technically almost all systems are bottlenecked by the GPU. Yes, you do lose a little FPS because the IPC isnt 100% up to par with say Intel, but technically nothing is perfect and all high end systems are bottlenecked by the GPU as the GPU cant send enough frames to keep the CPUs fed. In some cases, the CPU is the bottleneck and cant process the frames the GPU sends. This is the only real issue in terms of performance loss and noticeable difference. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Epimetheus said:

The 3700x can easily keep up with much faster graphics cards than the 1080

its not much difference. When I went from my 1800x to 3700x I only saw less than a 5fps increase at most in games. Same everything, just different CPU so it was the only variable. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

so currently I'm running a gtx 1080 on a ryzen 5 1600,whixh let's face it is a crazy bottleneck,

not really, offcourse if you only play at 1080p and in very graphics light titles, there will be a CPU limitation. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

not really, offcourse if you only play at 1080p and in very graphics light titles, there will be a CPU limitation. 

I want to play modern warfare, but it crashes my pc because the cpu doesn't meet the recommended specs, main reason of upgrading tbh

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its not much difference. When I went from my 1800x to 3700x I only saw less than a 5fps increase at most in games. Same everything, just different CPU so it was the only variable. 

i mean, that means that even the 1800x is fine for a high end graphics card for higher than 1080p resolutions

1 minute ago, crainingaming said:

I want to play modern warfare, but it crashes my pc because the cpu doesn't meet the recommended specs, main reason of upgrading tbh

if it crashes the PC then thats not a lack of CPU horses, thats a instabillity issue caused by something else. 

Just now, crainingaming said:

dude Cod modern warfare can run on an fx 6300 and is way faster than the recommended 2500k (don't know why they considered the 2500k similar to the 1600x? the 2500k is a snail in comparison), no way that's the problem

1 minute ago, Epimetheus said:

dude Cod modern warfare can run on an fx 6300 and is way faster than the recommended 2500k (don't know why they considered the 2500k similar to the 1600x? the 2500k is a snail in comparison), no way that's the problem

Should I make a seperate thread about it then, cause the game crashes while loading. I play 3 games of multi-player then while loading into the 4th it crashes, but the mouse light stays on. I have to shut the psu then switch it back on and hit the power button to switch it back on. Could it be my lack of memory speed cause I have 16 gigs but it's at 2400mhz, even though it shows as 1200 in task manager

3 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

Should I make a seperate thread about it then, cause the game crashes while loading. I play 3 games of multi-player then while loading into the 4th it crashes, but the mouse light stays on. I have to shut the psu then switch it back on and hit the power button to switch it back on. Could it be my lack of memory speed cause I have 16 gigs but it's at 2400mhz, even though it shows as 1200 in task manager

If the problem was system specs the game would simply run slow, also the game can run on ddr3, the speed does not matter. You should make a separate thread in my opinion

You're absolutely fine; that's a great combo

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

14 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

Could it be my lack of memory speed cause I have 16 gigs but it's at 2400mhz, even though it shows as 1200 in task manager

unlikely to be the memmory as long as it is running in dual channel. 

what are your full system specs, because you are not having performance issues, you are having stability issues. 

does this happen in other titles?

23 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

unlikely to be the memmory as long as it is running in dual channel. 

what are your full system specs, because you are not having performance issues, you are having stability issues. 

does this happen in other titles?

That's the problem isn't it, I have 1 stick of 16 gigs, I got it cheaper lol. I'm gonna be buying trident z, would that help? 

31 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

That's the problem isn't it, I have 1 stick of 16 gigs, I got it cheaper lol. I'm gonna be buying trident z, would that help? 

doesnt need to be trident Z. just run 2 sticks at once. a second stick of memmory is very cheap at 16GB. and doing some 1,45v manual overclocking can yield some improvements in clockspeed on the Ram. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

doesnt need to be trident Z. just run 2 sticks at once. a second stick of memmory is very cheap at 16GB. and doing some 1,45v manual overclocking can yield some improvements in clockspeed on the Ram. 

I'd rather just completely change the ram,And if I do that I'll just upgrade the cpu as well for the extra performance in other things, thanks for the help

6 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

I'd rather just completely change the ram,And if I do that I'll just upgrade the cpu as well for the extra performance in other things, thanks for the help

btw what motherboard are you using? and the rest of the specs. because it still sounds like you are experiencing unrelated crashes in games from sudden shutdown. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

btw what motherboard are you using? and the rest of the specs. because it still sounds like you are experiencing unrelated crashes in games from sudden shutdown. 

Currently I'm on a tomahawk b350, 16 gigs of patriot viper ram in 1 slot at 2400 mhz

Guess it would come down to res and the game. 

If we are going off a bottle neck meaning the cpu is at 100% and stuttering, then sure it could. Unless that cpu is better than an 8700k. Happens on my system but doesn’t bother me much as I run the card at stock settings. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

Currently I'm on a tomahawk b350, 16 gigs of patriot viper ram in 1 slot at 2400 mhz

PSU?

The singlestick could be an issue, tho you still shouldnt be crashing

35 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

PSU?

The singlestick could be an issue, tho you still shouldnt be crashing

It's a 650w from Thermaltake

43 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Guess it would come down to res and the game. 

If we are going off a bottle neck meaning the cpu is at 100% and stuttering, then sure it could. Unless that cpu is better than an 8700k. Happens on my system but doesn’t bother me much as I run the card at stock settings. 

My game doesn't stutter at all, and when I have only the game and nothing else open my memory and cpu are both around 60%. After I play 3 games, while I'm loading into the 4th my whole pc crashes but for some reason my mouse has enough power to have the light on. The power button doesn't work either so I have to turn the PSU off and on then the power button to launch it again

2 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

It's a 650w from Thermaltake

a bit more specific please?

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

a bit more specific please?

I'm actually at school right now, so I don't know the exact model, but I know it has no cert, just 80+, nothing else

3 minutes ago, crainingaming said:

I'm actually at school right now, so I don't know the exact model, but I know it has no cert, just 80+, nothing else

Just found out, it's a thermaltake tr2 600w,is it not good enough?