Virtual Machines; service to possibly make cheap VMs

Phas3L0ck

listen, I have been doing this long enough to know crap-ola when I see it.

there is two types of optimization,

generic optimization which the vmware os optimizer is excellent at. this works in almost all scenarios and gives noticeable improvement to virtual machines. still needs to be tested as this can still issues with software.

specific optimization which is for the workload you are hosting. there is no way you can do this optimization without knowledge of the workload and the enviroment you are deploying the virtual machine.

an example of specific optimization would to be to harden SSL by disallowing weak ciphers and obsolete protocols.  you would need to look at the interoperability of the servers and end point clients.

tuning the tcp stack, is another thing that is dependent on the network conditions of the environment you are deploying.

13 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

listen, I have been doing this long enough to know crap-ola when I see it.

there is two types of optimization,

generic optimization which the vmware os optimizer is excellent at. this works in almost all scenarios and gives noticeable improvement to virtual machines. still needs to be tested as this can still issues with software.

specific optimization which is for the workload you are hosting. there is no way you can do this optimization without knowledge of the workload and the enviroment you are deploying the virtual machine.

an example of specific optimization would to be to harden SSL by disallowing weak ciphers and obsolete protocols.  you would need to look at the interoperability of the servers and end point clients.

tuning the tcp stack, is another thing that is dependent on the network conditions of the environment you are deploying.

What on EARTH are you talking about?  Do you have the slightest understanding of what's going on here???

Freaking READ!!!!!!!

@Ghost @Crunchy Dragon @leadeater

Yo mods! Can we have someone lock this thread, PLEASE?!?

This is going absolutely nowhere, and I think you'll all agree.

i am saying there is no such thing as an universal vm, you have to build a virtual machine for the environment you are deploying it too,

the only way, this would work (and be legal) is you work with the company interested and build a virtual machine for their environment specifically.

you would be selling a "service" not a product that would be completely legal.

but there is many contractors who provide the same service.

there is no magic to "virtualization" and virtual machine optimization.

just research and testing which takes time.

like i said, if I want a generic vm optimized i would install from iso and just run os optimizer which I can guaranteeing is a thousand times better than what you could do. you also have flexibility to turn off things that cause problems for your environment.

Just now, tech.guru said:

i am saying there is no such thing as an universal vm, you have to build a virtual machine for the environment you are deploying it too,

the only way, this would work (and be legal) is you work with the company interested and build a virtual machine for their environment specifically.

you would be selling a "service" not a product that would be completely legal.

but there is many contractors who provide the same service.

It doesn't have to be that way! An OS is just an OS, and can be modified to do anything!

OMG I'm NOT doing this for any company for god's sake!!!!

You know someone with access to all the great software who's offering to sell their time to make virtual machines the same way I proposed?  Demonstrate PLEASE.

1 hour ago, Phas3L0ck said:

First of all, again, NO! It takes time to do everything, INCLUDING UPDATES!  Not to mention installing software, adjusting settings, clearing junk files, defragmentation, miscellaneous customizations, and final testing to make sure it all works.

Did you even read the head note? "$10-150," as in $150 is the maximum, and it would only be that high if the VM required major attention to software modification and/or serious installations! Average would be like $15-20 for a base system. 

You're contradicting yourself. On one side you say you'd

On 10/27/2019 at 12:46 PM, Phas3L0ck said:

make custom virtual machines as a (cheap) paid service!

and that this takes time. On the other you say $10-150 with average $15-20.

The upper side, $150 is about what a sustainable business bills for an hour of a competent IT tech. So if your average "custom" VM sells for $15-20, if you want to make a business that works you're only going to spend 15 minutes at most to prepare the thing. 

I.e on one side you say it takes time to make something custom, on the other that it's going to be cheap - which means it doesn't take much time.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You're contradicting yourself. On one side you say you'd

and that this takes time. On the other you say $10-150 with average $15-20.

The upper side, $150 is about what a sustainable business bills for an hour of a competent IT tech. So if your average "custom" VM sells for $15-20, if you want to make a business that works you're only going to spend 15 minutes at most to prepare the thing. 

I.e on one side you say it takes time to make something custom, on the other that it's going to be cheap - which means it doesn't take much time.

UGH, like everyone else, you have it completely BACKWARDS AGAIN!

Doing stuff cheaply takes time. Do you have ANY IDEA how expensive it is to go FASTER?!?

That's why I put in a range; both for the amount of time it takes AND the type of software and level of configuration needed!

HOW am I contradicting myself???????