Decentralized multiplayer

I need suggestions for games with multiplayer games that support either of:

1. multiplayer through LAN
  2. multiplayer with own server

So far, I have Minecraft under category (2), and many quite older games under (1). But I get the feeling that ever since the "game as a service" trend became stronger, games are mostly limited to multiplayer through centralized servers. Contrary to that trend, I'm looking for games that I can play on the local network, or hosting my own server as a way to keep it local.

It can be any kind of games, and I would indeed appreciate variety as I intend to try games with someone who hasn't done much PC gaming, and therefore isn't sure which kind games is going to like.

Thanks in advance to anyone providing suggestions!

29 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I need suggestions for games with multiplayer games that support either of:

1. multiplayer through LAN
  2. multiplayer with own server

So far, I have Minecraft under category (2), and many quite older games under (1). But I get the feeling that ever since the "game as a service" trend became stronger, games are mostly limited to multiplayer through centralized servers. Contrary to that trend, I'm looking for games that I can play on the local network, or hosting my own server as a way to keep it local.

It can be any kind of games, and I would indeed appreciate variety as I intend to try games with someone who hasn't done much PC gaming, and therefore isn't sure which kind games is going to like.

Thanks in advance to anyone providing suggestions!

Most source engine games have a dedicated server option.

The two biggest source games (besides DOTA2) would be IMO Counter-Strike: GO and Garry's Mod

Both are multiplayer and you can host a dedicated server. With Garry's Mod, they do now allow you to host a game and have people join straight through Steam, too. So you can make a multiplayer game and invite using steam rather than hosting a server and distributing the IP.

**EDIT** 

You can find a bunch more games with dedicated servers if you go to the tools section in your steam library.

Hover over library, then select tools and look for dedicated server.

Also, when you say "decentralized multiplayer" I'm assuming you mean not using official dedicated servers. By that logic, a bunch of steam games support P2P multiplayer (peer to peer, kind of like LAN but through Steam. You host a world and invite friends with steam)

csgo is a good game, there are lots of easy guides on how to set up a server and host it from your own PC

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Thanks for your reply! :)

11 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

You can find a bunch more games with dedicated servers if you go to the tools section in your steam library.

Hover over library, then select tools and look for dedicated server.

I don't have a Steam library as I don't use Steam. That's part (though not all) of the reason for focusing on locally hosted games. Still useful information, though.

Also, when you say "decentralized multiplayer" I'm assuming you mean not using official dedicated servers.

Exactly :)

By that logic, a bunch of steam games support P2P multiplayer (peer to peer, kind of like LAN but through Steam. You host a world and invite friends with steam)

Unfortunately, that still makes them "centralized, as we'd have to go through Steam for anything. I'm looking for something that is truly LAN-based, or where connection to own server is enough to play (à la Minecraft).

Good start, keep 'em coming! :D

In that case, I don't have many ideas. Sorry. 

Out of curiosity, what do you have against Steam?

2 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

In that case, I don't have many ideas. Sorry. 

You've been helpful nevertheless :)

2 minutes ago, Calamity1911 said:

Out of curiosity, what do you have against Steam?

Off-topic, but basically everything ? I know younger folks see it as natural due to the dominant position it had by the time they started gaming, but as someone who's seen it rise from nothing, the idea of having an ever-growing middleman meddling everywhere, internet-connection required for single-player, games-as-a-service, the dependence on a third party to play games you bought in the future (or to play it in full - see Rockstar removing music from your game...)... it's a constant advance on me as a consumer an my freedom that I just won't take. In fact, you just gave an example in your previous post: Steam required to play over LAN? The whole point of LAN playing is that the local network is enough, no internet needed. That's just another brick in the Steam wall to me...

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You've been helpful nevertheless :)

Off-topic, but basically everything ? I know younger folks see it as natural due to the dominant position it had by the time they started gaming, but as someone who's seen it rise from nothing, the idea of having an ever-growing middleman meddling everywhere, internet-connection required for single-player, games-as-a-service, the dependence on a third party to play games you bought in the future (or to play it in full - see Rockstar removing music from your game...)... it's a constant advance on me as a consumer an my freedom that I just won't take. In fact, you just gave an example in your previous post: Steam required to play over LAN? The whole point of LAN playing is that the local network is enough, no internet needed. That's just another brick in the Steam wall to me...

I get where you're coming from. My father tried to instill those beliefs in me, but they never really stuck. Plus that steam over LAN thing was an exaggeration. You don't need steam for true LAN, but P2P you will.