Are the other hardwares heavily bottelnecking the gpu?

My father gave my sister's old pc to a friend to be upgraded so she can play games on high quality. Well, all he did was upgrade the graphics card from a Geforce 500 series to a GTX 1060 for a low price.

The new specs are:

GTX 1060 6GB (new), Core i5 4460 (same old), 8GB of 1600MHz if DDR3 Ram (same old), some motherboard that was cool for the old specs.

I feel like the GPU is really bound by the older specs. I mainly play Overwatch and Fortnite and I have really high fps drops when capped on 60-120fps (all low, 720p full res, texture from low to epic) on Fortnite but not so much on OW because of how lighter it comparitively is. I mainly check the cpu usage in task manager and when in a match I always have 100% CPU boatload and 30% to 60% on the graphics card part.

What do you think about this and please help me with some suggestions.  

Thanks everyone!

upgrade cpu

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

4 minutes ago, Misteran said:

I always have 100% CPU boatload and 30% to 60% on the graphics card

that means that your cpu is bottlenecing your gpu.

usually you might "want" your gpu usage be really high and the cpu usage to be lower, meaning you get everything out of your gpu that you can

as off as it might sound: try a higher resolution as the games will become more gpu bound then.

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

8 minutes ago, Misteran said:

(all low, 720p full res, texture from low to epic)

why play at 720p with a 1060 6GB?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

upgrade cpu

By how much, a big boost or just a little jump a 4th quad core?

1 minute ago, LauriHimself said:

that means that your cpu is bottlenecing your gpu.

usually you might "want" your gpu usage be really high and the cpu usage to be lower, meaning you get everything out of your gpu that you can

as off as it might sound: try a higher resolution as the games will become more gpu bound then.

The issue is my parent wanted to use as little as possible for 'her', so do you think increasing the AA and post processing will help make it more GPU bound or only resolution works?

1 minute ago, Misteran said:

The issue is my parent wanted to use as little as possible for 'her'

sorry, i don't quite get what you are saying

My Rig / Buildlogs:  ❄️ SNOWFLAKE ❄️ FROSTBITE ❄️

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600   Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum   RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB @3200   Mobo: Asus Prime X470 Pro

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus 2080super Waterforce    Case: Corsair 500D   PSU: Corsair HX850i

Storage: 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD, 2x 1TB SATA SSD

Displays: AOC CQ32G1 32" 2560x1440, Acer XB280HK 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz, Medion MD20850 24" 2560x1440

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

why play at 720p with a 1060 6GB?

Old monitor. Whole setup is basically old. My parent's friend thought it was a good idea to just bump the graphics.

Reduce CPU heavy settings like draw distance and particle effects, ragdolls, shadows, etc.  Make your games as GPU bound as possible. 

6 minutes ago, Misteran said:

By how much, a big boost or just a little jump a 4th quad core?

I'd upgrade to a lower end ryzen or newer i5.

4 minutes ago, Misteran said:

do you think increasing the AA and post processing will help make it more GPU bound or only resolution works?

increasing the load on your GPU is not going to reduce the bottleneck from your CPU.  If anything it will increase it.  Your gpu requires CPU power to tell it when to do it's job.  If the CPU can't keep up with the frames the GPU is wanting to put out, the GPU will just wait.  Biggest FPS boost you will see will come from lowering settings that are CPU heavy.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

3 minutes ago, LauriHimself said:

sorry, i don't quite get what you are saying

It's a 720p. He doesn't want to get a 1080p or 1440p monitor for my sister. My bad, I should've mentioned the monitor in the post.

Edited by Misteran