How old do you have to be to mine Bitcoin?

I'm 14 and in need of a new PC... can I mine bitcoin to help pay for my new PC? I won't have to pay the energy/power costs. (My parents do that.)

Ask your parents before adding hundreds to the electricity bill. But yes you can mine. Don't expect it to pay for anything.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Ask your parents before adding hundreds to the electricity bill.

I'm sure I won't add hundreds of dollars to the electricity bill. I have a 240 watt external PSU. (Alienware)

You won't make enough to pay for your pc for a long time, and to the above poster my rig only costs an extra $15 a month running 24/7. Hardly hundreds when you get a good efficient power supply

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Ask your parents before adding hundreds to the electricity bill. But yes you can mine. Don't expect it to pay for anything.

Tiger Direct? They accept Bitcoin.

You won't make enough to pay for your pc for a long time, and to the above poster my rig only costs an extra $15 a month running 24/7. Hardly hundreds when you get a good efficient power supply

Not the whole PC. Just some individual parts.

Not the whole PC. Just some individual parts.

You still wont. I make about $15-$20 a week mining  18 hours a day, you wont be able to buy anything for a long time.  Granted you can make more with better mining graphics cards but I doubt you have that with a 240w power supply. You'll make way less than me, for example my laptop with a dedicated graphics card makes about $2 a week mining 24/7. You'll probably make about that much as my laptop does.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

You still wont. I make about $15-$20 a week mining  18 hours a day, you wont be able to buy anything for a long time. 

Anything helps... I'm sure I could buy a fan with it.

You still wont. I make about $15-$20 a week mining  18 hours a day, you wont be able to buy anything for a long time.  Granted you can make more with better mining graphics cards but I doubt you have that with a 240w power supply. You'll make way less than me, for example my laptop with a dedicated graphics card makes about $2 a week mining 24/7. You'll probably make about that much as my laptop does.

Awesome.

Anything helps... I'm sure I could buy a fan with it.

Read my revised post. You can do it if you want, but it's really not worth it for the money. It's interesting to learn about, a pain to setup, time consuming to transfer the coins and money around. But you could do it if you really wanted to, just don't expect much.

I'm sure I won't add hundreds of dollars to the electricity bill. I have a 240 watt external PSU. (Alienware)

I doubt you will be able to mine much with a 240W PSU.

Depends where you live. But my PC mining runs at 500ish W.

Assuming $0.10 per W and a 3 month bill the power bill will have about $108 to the bill, every bill. Of course you would earn more but I assume you wont be giving the payee a cut.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Read my revised post. You can do it if you want, but it's really not worth it for the money. It's interesting to learn about, a pain to setup, time consuming to transfer the coins and money around. But you could do it if you really wanted to, just don't expect much.

I will get Bitcoins from Bitcoin mining which I will use to buy things on Tiger Direct.

I doubt you will be able to mine much with a 240W PSU.

Depends where you live. But my PC mining runs at 500ish W.

Assuming $0.10 per W and a 3 month bill the power bill will have about $108 to the bill, every bill. Of course you would earn more but I assume you wont be giving the payee a cut.

Never heard of a 3 month power bill. :o I've only heard of monthly ones, that's what I pay. In that case your estimate was pretty much on track ;)

I will get Bitcoins from Bitcoin mining which I will use to buy things on Tiger Direct.

Bit coins are hard to mine, they take a long time even when in a pool. The difficulty is high because so many are building mining rigs. The best way to mine bitcoins is to invest in a mining rig then over several months you'll pay for the rig. But we are talking $10k-$30k for this, which you don't have. Any case you can still try it out and see if it is worth it to you.

Never heard of a 3 month power bill. :o I've only heard of monthly ones, that's what I pay. In that case your estimate was pretty much on track ;)

It's called a quarterly bill and is used by a lot of people in the UK. I assume a couple of other countries too.

It's called a quarterly bill and is used by a lot of people in the UK. I assume a couple of other countries too.

That's interesting. It's not in anywhere I've heard in north america. However here where I live you can pay money to them as a reserve and you pay for you electricity daily. It's a better way to keep track of your usage by giving them lets say $100 and have that gone in a week. They just call you and let you know your reserve is running low and need to deposit some.

Tiger Direct? They accept Bitcoin.

Malewarebytes does too, now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Bit coins are hard to mine, they take a long time even when in a pool. The difficulty is high because so many are building mining rigs. The best way to mine bitcoins is to invest in a mining rig then over several months you'll pay for the rig. But we are talking $10k-$30k for this, which you don't have. Any case you can still try it out and see if it is worth it to you.

You don't understand.

I'm 14 and in need of a new PC... can I mine bitcoin to help pay for my new PC? I won't have to pay the energy/power costs. (My parents do that.)

just don't, firstly you shouldn't mine bitcoins on conventional hardware, go for litecoin or something scrypt based, and secondly, just don't do it, why would you screw over your parents like that? you might aswell just ask them to give you money, you will be spending their money to get money yourself, in the end you are just stealing for your own benefit.

and from the sound of it your pc won't be profitable regardless.

No dont do it. yet.

When you grown up and you live alone and make your own money and paying electricity bill, then get a mining rig.

The mining rig can eat very much and it will cost very much for your parents

If you need a PC, get a gaming PC instead, and be happy with it

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I'm sure you can get more than 2 $/£ a week just doing chores around the house. You'd get more money, your parents would spend less. Win- Win.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Unless you were to invest a large amount of money this would not be worth mining bitcoins, the difficult level is too high and the power consumption would send the electricity bill through the roof. You could look at the other alternatives such as Litecoin which might bring in slightly more money for you because of the lower difficulty .

You don't understand.

I don't think you understand. Mining is incredibly difficult and now there are dedicated chips for bitcoin that will mine literally over a hundred times faster than your PC.