Bios Updates

Hi.

i never had to update my bios before so i'm in a bit of a loss here, i have a ryzen 5 3600 and an asus b450 plus gaming motherboard and i want to update my bios ( note: i already applied the bios to get my motherboard to accept/work with the cpu)

and i was wandering if i still have to use an older cpu to update my bios ( aka take it to my local IT store so they can use thier cpus), or if i can just download the update and do it myself without having to switch out cpus to an older version everytime i want to update my bios

2 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

Hi.

i never had to update my bios before so i'm in a bit of a loss here, i have a ryzen 5 3600 and an asus b450 plus gaming motherboard and i want to update my bios ( note: i already applied the bios to get my motherboard to accept/work with the cpu)

and i was wandering if i still have to use an older cpu to update my bios ( aka take it to my local IT store so they can use thier cpus), or if i can just download the update and do it myself without having to switch out cpus to an older version everytime i want to update my bios

Future BIOS update can use your 3600. No need to use older CPU.

As Deli has explained to update your BIOS it does not work like that. You may update your BIOS to increase hardware compatibility. This does not mean you have to use older hardware to allow the system to update at all. That wouldn't make any sense.

i thought it would be better safe than sorry to check before i do anything.

i thought it would be better safe than sorry to check before i do anything.

A good rule of thumb is to not update the BIOS unless you have a specific reason to. If you don't have a real reason to you have more to lose than gain should something go wrong (such as a power outage).

Good reasons include:

• Increase hardware compatibility
  • Bug fixes
  • Security patches
  • Better overclocking (if you're into that)

If you have an indecisive or spontaneous reason to do it then in all likelihood you shouldn't do it.

well, my reasoning mainly stems from what i'm seeing in some videos like the one that jaystwocents made about the bios setting the base voltages too high, ( mine is sitting at like 1.43V at idle and idle temps are at 48.5C),so in a sence i'm thinking that updating to the latest bios can help fix that.

and as i'm checking the manufacturers website about the bios updates, , this is what it says in on the description of the bios update
TUF B450-PLUS GAMING BIOS 1816
1.Improve system performance.
2.Update AM4 Combo PI 1.0.0.3 Patch ABB
a.Fixes a compatibility issue with Destiny 2
b.Fixes an issue with certain Linux distros
c.Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs
3.Improves EZFlash performance to reduce boot time.
TUF B450-PLUS GAMING BIOS 1820
Update AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA to improve system performance.
Removes Gen 4 support when using Ryzen 3000 CPUs.
you think this is enough of a reason to update the bios or should i just keep the one that i have ( i dont care about gen 4 support but i care about the compatibility issue with destiny 2 and the improve in system performance

Unless the update changes the default CPU voltage you could just adjust that down yourself. It's called under-volting. It's actually a pretty common practice among some overclockers when their goal is cooler operation over performance. Alternatively if the CPU voltage is higher than it needs to be you could push your multiplier up and give your CPU a nice little kick in the rear ;)

I would research the compatibility issue first. See if it impacts your method of playing the game. If it does then it is a worthwhile update.

i'm still using my stock cooler, so i most likely cant OC the cpu, so i'll try to under volt it and see if that works to lower the temps a bit, i'm waiting to find a good cpu cooler before i delve into overclocking my cpu

i'm still using my stock cooler, so i most likely cant OC the cpu, so i'll try to under volt it and see if that works to lower the temps a bit, i'm waiting to find a good cpu cooler before i delve into overclocking my cpu

It doesn't take much to have a noticeable impact on temps. You only have to take off about 0.01V~0.025V at a time (in steps). Check for stability and you'll see the degrees start shaving off.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

It doesn't take much to have a noticeable impact on temps. You only have to take off about 0.01V~0.025V at a time (in steps). Check for stability and you'll see the degrees start shaving off.

thank you, i'll try and work around it and see

20 minutes ago, Ichoumaz said:

thank you, i'll try and work around it and see

If you saw jayztwocents video and if he happened to mention a voltage he found stable it'll give you a good starting point as to how far you can go before experiencing problems.

You could also Google this and see what other undervolters achieved while maintaining stability.