Sluggish performance on 3D applications with a GTX 1080Ti

Hello guys,

I noticed a weird performance while using Blender 2.80 on my PC. Basically, when I move the camera or do something with the object the first few frames are really choppy, and it gets pretty annoying since moving the camera is probably the thing you most do when modeling. I tested it in ZBrush and I get the same problem, but this time it's more noticeable when hovering the brush over the model. The model itself is not heavy, in fact, it still happens with an empty viewport or a simple cube.

Moving panels in Blender have the same effect.

I just updated the graphics card driver and had no success. Although it took a lot of time to detect the compatibility (something close to 5 minutes), which I found to be pretty weird.

I noticed that when moving the camera the GPU usage spikes from 0 to 50, maybe there's a delay or something that is causing this?

I also changed the power cable before noticing this issue but I'm not sure if this can be the problem.

My GPU is a EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black without overclock, I also have a Ryzen 7 1700 and 16GB on 3000MHz.

I'm using a 4K monitor, but it still happens on my 1080p secondary monitor.

I did some tests on my PC at work and I have no problems with it and it's running a 980Ti. The GPU spikes when moving the camera hardly go past 10%.

I haven't noticed this issue while gaming.

Does anyone know a solution for this issue?

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

4 minutes ago, VSTOLL said:

Hello guys,

I noticed a weird performance while using Blender 2.80 on my PC. Basically, when I move the camera or do something with the object the first few frames are really choppy, and it gets pretty annoying since moving the camera is probably the thing you most do when modeling. I tested it in ZBrush and I get the same problem, but this time it's more noticeable when hovering the brush over the model. The model itself is not heavy, in fact, it still happens with an empty viewport or a simple cube.

Moving panels in Blender have the same effect.

I just updated the graphics card and had no success. Although it took a lot of time to detect the compatibility (something close to 5 minutes), which I found to be pretty weird.

I noticed that when moving the camera the GPU usage spikes from 0 to 50, maybe there's a delay or something that is causing this?

I also changed the power cable before noticing this issue but I'm not sure if this can be the problem.

My GPU is a EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black without overclock, I also have a Ryzen 7 1700 and 16GB on 3000MHz.

I'm using a 4K monitor, but it still happens on my 1080p secondary monitor.

I did some tests on my PC at work and I have no problems with it and it's running a 980Ti. The GPU spikes when moving the camera hardly go past 10%.

I haven't noticed this issue while gaming.

Does anyone know a solution for this issue?

Thanks!

I'd say reinstall the drivers. Remove them with DDU and then install new ones. Then try again.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I'd say reinstall the drivers. Remove them with DDU and then install new ones. Then try again.

I'll try that when I get back home. But if it doesn't work, is there any other things that I can try?

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

Are you sure that it is solely the 1080ti? Maybe a single core of the cpu spikes to 100% when starting to move?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

33 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Are you sure that it is solely the 1080ti? Maybe a single core of the cpu spikes to 100% when starting to move?

I haven't checked that because I believe that Blender is GPU accelerated, but I'll take a look at it when I get home.

I reinstalled the drivers using DDU and the problem still persists. I also tried changing back to my cable but it also didn't solved it. I checked the CPU and everything seems fine.

I'm starting to think that I should format my PC, maybe some Windows Update screwed it.