how to imessage between two apple mac computers when neither person has another idevice?

Go to solution Solved by gameboy3800,
3 hours ago, Husky said:

You should be able to if you use the email address associated with the person's Apple ID account. Just make sure that both people has their email address enabled as a valid way to reach them via iMessage (should be by default) and then just message each other by using each other's iCloud email address.

so we now both have eachothers apple id emails in our contacts, yet still he's not receiving?

update: we figured it out. needed some secondary apple id thing on his end. works fine now.

so my friend and i recently both got old mac laptops just to experience osx and familiarize with it. we'd like to imessage eachother just for convenience sake, but with both of us so new to osx we're not sure how to go about it. i've figured out how to imessage someone else by adding their iphone number. but neither of us have another apple device.  is there any way to contact another apple computer via imessage?

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

Why not use Discord or Slack , or some generic IRC software like let's say LimeChat (just agree to use an IRC network, undernet for example, and create a channel for you two, or join an existing channel)

There's also Riot.im and similar websites: https://about.riot.im/

You can use their free public server to connect and then data exchanges between you two.

You should be able to if you use the email address associated with the person's Apple ID account. Just make sure that both people has their email address enabled as a valid way to reach them via iMessage (should be by default) and then just message each other by using each other's iCloud email address.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

36 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Why not use Discord or Slack , or some generic IRC software like let's say LimeChat (just agree to use an IRC network, undernet for example, and create a channel for you two, or join an existing channel)

There's also Riot.im and similar websites: https://about.riot.im/

You can use their free public server to connect and then data exchanges between you two.

thats not the point

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

33 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

thats not the point

Then phrase it correctly.

You said "we'd like to imessage eachother just for convenience sake" which implies you don't really NEED it, or that it's a MUST to use imessage, you imply that you just want to communicate with each other in some form. 

I gave you perfectly acceptable alternatives to "imessage".

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Then phrase it correctly.

You said "we'd like to imessage eachother just for convenience sake" which implies you don't really NEED it, or that it's a MUST to use imessage, you imply that you just want to communicate with each other in some form. 

I gave you perfectly acceptable alternatives to "imessage".

the point of this question was asking for help with imessage/apple. not to just ignore it.

3 hours ago, Husky said:

so we now both have eachothers apple id emails in our contacts, yet still he's not receiving?

update: we figured it out. needed some secondary apple id thing on his end. works fine now.