Stress test recommendation?

ringo

I was thinking:

CPU: Prime95 (small or large?), Aida64, OCCT (Linepack 2019?)

RAM: Hci memtest -> overall memory/ number of CPU threads -< number of open windows

GPU: Unigine superposition

How much time to test?

AMD R5 1600

11 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

To really hammer the CPU I've used Handbrake or Folding@Home for at least a week (while I'm not active, no shutdown period).

I just need something to test stabillity of overclock, nothing extreme:)

On 10/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, ringo said:

I was thinking:

CPU: Prime95 (small or large?), Aida64, OCCT (Linepack 2019?)

RAM: Hci memtest -> overall memory/ number of CPU threads -< number of open windows

GPU: Unigine superposition

All of these sound reasonable, but AIDA64 isn't too great a stress test.

For the RAM, there's also memtest86, which is considered one of the best RAM testing utilities.

Superposition works just fine for the GPU.

How much time to test?

For Prime95, 20 minutes is a good amount of time for most. Same goes for the other CPU tests.
Not too sure about RAM. Probably 20 minutes at a minimum.
Run Superposition for around 30 seconds, that should be adequate. Though there's nothing stopping you from going longer on all these tests.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Aside from stress test is there a game that uses overall big amount of resources for strees OC stabillity but it isn't too big in hard disk size?

10 hours ago, ringo said:

Aside from stress test is there a game that uses overall big amount of resources for strees OC stabillity but it isn't too big in hard disk size?

Superposition should do well, but it's not the most CPU-intensive scenario.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

My games mainly dictate my overclocks.

I use Cinebench R15 first for CPUs. If the overclock gets past that I run Prime95 without AVX for a few minutes to see max temps, but that is usually 20c over my game temps. If it gets past that it is streight to play testing.  

The i7 8086k with 5ghz and 5.1ghz on all cores have no issues with my games so I am happy. My i7 8700k on the same motherboard would only be stable in all my games at 4.7 on all cores even though it could do 4.9ghz in Cinebench and Prime95.

For GPUs I use Heaven or Valley in a window to adjust an overclock along with TimeSpy and FireStrike to test it. I use Superposition as well but I have never gotten a freeze out of it so if I leave it out it is no big deal. 

Right now the game Control dictates my GPU overclock. Before that it was Fallout 4. Both games will freeze with an overclock that gets past the above benches. Knocking the overclock down by a small amount fixes them. 

I have these overclocks preset in Pressission X1 so I can select them before playing. If I forget to set it, the default is the Control overclock that is 17mhz below the Fallout 4 overclock that is only 3mhz below my max overclock.

For vram overclocking I use Heaven looping. The vram on my RTX 2080 tis overclocked can run up to 20c over the temps of the GPU and VRM. This heat builds over time so I test for about 4 hours. This needs a card that has heat sensors like my EVGA FTW3 Ultra to test.  

For ram nothing right now. I just set the XMP and go.

When I was on Z170 with a i7 6700k I had to set it manually since using XMP caused freezes in some games.

I use the same ram in my Z370 builds so I blame the motherboards for the issues I had. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

23 hours ago, ringo said:

Battlefield 1, 4,5 and other battlefield games. Battlefield 1 is very sensitive to oc systems. If you pass 4 hours single and multiplayers gameplay of bf1, then you should be able to pass any real world app usage. 

Prime95 small fft for 24 hours max. 12 hours min and 6 hours overnight recommend. 

Then follow up memtest86

Then PLAY A LOT OF GAMES

Then use your computer normally

Put your computer to sleep overnight than wake up in the morning. I have seen unstable oc systems crash in this situation. 

Then loop a single raw footage gameplay in handbrake for 2 hours. 

19 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Battlefield 1, 4,5 and other battlefield games. Battlefield 1 is very sensitive to oc systems. If you pass 4 hours single and multiplayers gameplay of bf1, then you should be able to pass any real world app usage. 

Prime95 small fft for 24 hours max. 12 hours min and 6 hours overnight recommend. 

Then follow up memtest86

Then PLAY A LOT OF GAMES

Then use your computer normally

Put your computer to sleep overnight than wake up in the morning. I have seen unstable oc systems crash in this situation. 

Then loop a single raw footage gameplay in handbrake for 2 hours. 

Thanks,. By looking at youtube benchmarks I found out that Rainbow Six: Siege, Mafia 3 and Dying light also requries a lot of CPU usage. Maybe I will test will some of them, I am not a big fan of battlefield games.

3 hours ago, ringo said:

Thanks,. By looking at youtube benchmarks I found out that Rainbow Six: Siege, Mafia 3 and Dying light also requries a lot of CPU usage. Maybe I will test will some of them, I am not a big fan of battlefield games.

Play all games you owned mang and not the specific one. Use your computer normally and put it to sleep for a long period time then wake up.