Help with RAM

hotshirley8

last night, i heard a loud pop at the back of my CPU. i didnt try to restart it at that time. so this morning, i tried opening the CPU, but the loud pop recurred. so i assumed that somethings wrong with my PSU. so i got a new one, but it didnt help. all lights are up in the components but no post. so i assume the board is the problem, so i replaced it with a more recent one *(slightly used) from another recently built system. but still the same. luckily there are LED's that can help which is the problem (using a Aorus z390 Pro Wifi). and it showed that the RAM is the problem. so i took 1 off, and it worked. afterwhich, i tried swapping with the other one, and even trying other RAM slots for each of the sticks, and to conclued, one of my 2x8 stick is dead.

here's the question: can i just replace it with another 8g RAM stick of the same brand, and speed and cpacity? or should i just but a new 2x8 kit?

thank you so much!

BUILD:

Aorus z390 Pro Wifi

Trident Z RGB 2x8 3000Mhz * only one is working

Zotac 2060

Intel 660p 500g

Seasonic M12 750W

SG 4TB HDD

You can technically pair it with any RAM of similar specs, however if you care about performance you should not do so.

Firstly I would just RMA the ramkit you currently have and ask for your money back, for a RAM stick to make pop noises is IMO a valid enough reason to tell a company to take it's product and stuff it up their butt.

Then just pick up a new kit from either corsair or kingston with similar specs and might ditch the RGB, it just adds another possibly point of failure to a hardware that otherwise nearly never breaks or fails.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

Just buy 1 similar module, no need to buy a kit.

You can RMA the module if its defected and has no physical damage like burned chips, usually RAM have 1-3 years even lifetime.

Are you sure the ram is defective? Plug it one by one, see which cannot work.

After that test it with Memtest86.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

14 minutes ago, Nord said:

You can technically pair it with any RAM of similar specs, however if you care about performance you should not do so.

Firstly I would just RMA the ramkit you currently have and ask for your money back, for a RAM stick to make pop noises is IMO a valid enough reason to tell a company to take it's product and stuff it up their butt.

Then just pick up a new kit from either corsair or kingston with similar specs and might ditch the RGB, it just adds another possibly point of failure to a hardware that otherwise nearly never breaks or fails.

will the performance be that noticeable?

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Just buy 1 similar module, no need to buy a kit.

You can RMA the module if its defected and has no physical damage like burned chips, usually RAM have 1-3 years even lifetime.

Are you sure the ram is defective? Plug it one by one, see which cannot work.

After that test it with Memtest86.

i switched using only 1 stick of each to every slot. the "dead" doesn't even post

18 minutes ago, hotshirley8 said:

i switched using only 1 stick of each to every slot. the "dead" doesn't even post

Ok that's dead. RMA if it still warrantied.

19 minutes ago, hotshirley8 said:

As long as the speed is the same you won't notice it (even different brand).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, hotshirley8 said:

Depends on what you are doing with the PC.

Office work, light video/photo editing, web browsing or playing old or very light games, you probably won't notice it at all.

If you are playing modern games or want “all the FPS”, above 1080p video editing and do more than just cut, piece together and render or still want to extract the most power possibly of your system in a few years down the road, than you will notice the performance impact somewhere between hard and slightly.

However it is also always a question of how “equal” the RAM modules are, hence why they come in kits, so they are 1:1 the same.
If they have different PCB rank builds, you can be looking at issues up to system crashes.
If the CL timings or mhz is difference, then they will run at the slowest available, which one RAM module might can but that does not mean it does it well.
It's kinda luck of the draw really, even if you try to match up everything as good as you can, the outcome can vary, especially if you want to use XMP, as that's a whole nother story of possible compatibility issues.

Technically, you could go to a store and pick up the exact same ram stick and have issues with it, because yours can be built in single rank and the one you bought could be dual rank.
Which is not to say that putting a new one in can't turn out to work perfectly, w/o issues or performance hit, but it's a low chance.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

thank you so much!!! probably will get another kit..

jus watch jayz2cents latest vid on RAM, dual channel does make a difference.. hope it works for me..

• 3 weeks later...

Just another thing... 

im still torn if i should buy a 3200mhz kit (2x8)

or a 3000mhz kit..  

im thinking that maybe if i buy the 3000mhz kit, i could still use my 1 stick 8gb at 3000 also

On 10/21/2019 at 2:00 AM, Nord said:

Depends on what you are doing with the PC.

Office work, light video/photo editing, web browsing or playing old or very light games, you probably won't notice it at all.

If you are playing modern games or want “all the FPS”, above 1080p video editing and do more than just cut, piece together and render or still want to extract the most power possibly of your system in a few years down the road, than you will notice the performance impact somewhere between hard and slightly.

However it is also always a question of how “equal” the RAM modules are, hence why they come in kits, so they are 1:1 the same.
If they have different PCB rank builds, you can be looking at issues up to system crashes.
If the CL timings or mhz is difference, then they will run at the slowest available, which one RAM module might can but that does not mean it does it well.
It's kinda luck of the draw really, even if you try to match up everything as good as you can, the outcome can vary, especially if you want to use XMP, as that's a whole nother story of possible compatibility issues.

Technically, you could go to a store and pick up the exact same ram stick and have issues with it, because yours can be built in single rank and the one you bought could be dual rank.
Which is not to say that putting a new one in can't turn out to work perfectly, w/o issues or performance hit, but it's a low chance.

Just another thing... 

im still torn if i should buy a 3200mhz kit (2x8)

or a 3000mhz kit..  

im thinking that maybe if i buy the 3000mhz kit, i could still use my 1 stick 8gb at 3000 also