Jolla releases free Other Half developer kit

Levis95l

The smartphone manufacturer Jolla has released a developer kit for designing Other Halves (=smart back covers) for their phone. It can be downloaded from their website for free.

Here's a picture that shows the power and data connections available:

TOH.jpg

2.2 — ELECTRICAL INTERFACES 

Jolla device has 6 functional contact pins towards The Other Half. The contacts use pogo-pins for conducted connection method. Pins have the following functionality:

5V DC input pin (1000mA max)

VDD – 3,3V DC output pin (300mA max)

SDA – I2C data (1,8V level)

SCL – I2C clock, frequency 400kHz (1,8V level)

INT – Signal for interrupt host system (1,8V level)

GND – Ground of signal and power

Let's hope that something great grows from this. I as a Jolla owner am excited. :)

Source: Jolla Tides

From what I gather in the documentation, third party covers can have almost limitless functionality functionality, sincer they have data, power output and power input pins. Some ideas that are mentioned there: extended battery cover, induction charging cover, induction charging cover with wireless communication (think USB data+ Qi charging wireless stand). If the kernel/OS supports it, I think you can even have some more ridiculous stuff in there, such as a secondary antenna, IR emitter, stereo mini-speakers or even a pico-projector.

From what I gather in the documentation, third party covers can have almost limitless functionality functionality, sincer they have data, power output and power input pins. Some ideas that are mentioned there: extended battery cover, induction charging cover, induction charging cover with wireless communication (think USB data+ Qi charging wireless stand). If the kernel/OS supports it, I think you can even have some more ridiculous stuff in there, such as a secondary antenna, IR emitter, stereo mini-speakers or even a pico-projector.

Yeah, many people are talking about qwerty keyboard too. And I have seen some pictures of modded original back covers that include wireless charging or little display for clock and notifications.