Interesting Behaviour

Hi there. So recently there are two things buzzing me quite a lot. First thing: Some time ago (like a month or so) I decided on getting a new processor (haven't done it yet). Currently I am using a Ryzen 5 1500X and I want to stick with Ryzen. My Motherboard is an Asrock ab350m. My BIOS is currently on version 3.20 and their newest version is 5.60. For the third gen ryzen processors I need atleast the version 5.40. So I thought to myself "well gotta upgrade the BIOS". I downloaded it onto an USB-Stick and wanted to flash my BIOS which strangely enough didn't work. My current BIOS (UEFI) told me that it didn't find any compatible BIOS version. So I redownloaded the same file and the same happened. Even after trying to download it from the inbuild download-manager (in the BIOS) it tells me that my BIOS was the latest version. After that I had given up. I tried another version (4.50). This actually has been installed and after saving the BIOS and loading again into it the BIOS (UEFI) was on version 4.50. But then after I restarted Windows to boot into the BIOS again it reverted back to version 3.20. So I can you explain me why in first place the driver 5.40 could not have been installed on my system and in second can you explain me why BIOS automatically reverted itself from 4.50 back to 3.20?

And for my second problem: After deciding not getting a new cpu I got a new cpu-cooler from noctua (btw I really love it). After some OCing of the CPU and graphics card I tested my Computer over the night with prime95 with no crashes whatsoever. But now after some weeks my PC isn't POSTing at all. I mean my fans start spinning but neither my graphics card nor my SSD (with windows) is detected and my PC won't boot. After pressing like 4-5 times on the on/off-button my pc magically turns on like nothing has happened. Could this be the cause of OCing? I set it again to default settings but then it also does the same thing, that it doesn't start after pressing the power button.
PS: after deinstalling my old boxed fan my CPU stucked on it. With force I pulled my CPU out of the closen socket. Might this be the cause of the malfunction POST?

Thank you in advance!

OK, read the other BIOS descriptions before deciding which BIOS version you need. For instance... this is for ab350 pro 4

* If the current BIOS version is older than P3.40, please update BIOS to P3.40(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version.

* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
** If the current BIOS version is older than P3.40, please update BIOS to P3.40(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version.
*** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.

Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
*** If the current BIOS version is older than P5.50, please update BIOS to P5.50(PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.6) before updating this version.
**** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

47 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Which one?

Well the one I said. No Pro-version just the normal one:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#Memory

21 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

OK, read the other BIOS descriptions before deciding which BIOS version you need. For instance

I did. Here the description for the version 5.40:

1. Supports AMD next generation Ryzen™ processors
2. Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1

* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
** If the current BIOS version is older than P3.20, please update BIOS to P3.20(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version.
*** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
**** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

I successfully installed the newest version of "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver".

My BIOS version is currently 3.20

It does meet all the requirements needed, but my BIOS isn't detecting a new BIOS when I want to flash it. I also tested different USB-Sticks but no luck.

As for the BIOS version of 4.50 these are the requirements:

1. Update AMD AGESA to PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.1a.
2. Improve M.2 SSD compatibility.

* If the current BIOS version is older than P3.20, please update BIOS to P3.20(Bridge BIOS) before updating this version.

But as I stated above, the problem is that my BIOS is reverting itself automatically after a successful installation and booting into Windows and then back into the BIOS.

18 minutes ago, SchnoppDog said:

Ok, my miss. Was not able to find it with filters on Asrock page.

If you change any setting in BIOS and want to update the BIOS, please enter BIOS setup to load default setting. After reboot, please update the BIOS.

I assume that youre on default settings.

But the "Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS."?

One option would be to contact them directly and ask why would BIOS revert back to previous.

I edit my posts more often than not

25 minutes ago, SchnoppDog said:

I did. Here the description for the version 5.40:

I successfully installed the newest version of "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver".

My BIOS version is currently 3.20

It does meet all the requirements needed, but my BIOS isn't detecting a new BIOS when I want to flash it. I also tested different USB-Sticks but no luck.

As for the BIOS version of 4.50 these are the requirements:

But as I stated above, the problem is that my BIOS is reverting itself automatically after a successful installation and booting into Windows and then back into the BIOS.

Hmm, weird... I'm trying to remember whether my ab350m pro 4 needed the bios file unzipped in the root directory or not?  IIRC I just used to do both/all ways, have it zipped, unzipped and in root directory. Never had problems updating it, think last time it was like 5.20 maybe for mine (it's my server board now, so been a little bit).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, SchnoppDog said:

PS: after deinstalling my old boxed fan my CPU stucked on it. With force I pulled my CPU out of the closen socket. Might this be the cause of the malfunction POST?

Inspect the CPU for physical damage (bent pins) if you forced the CPU out of an otherwise locked/secured socket.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

18 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

One option would be to contact them directly and ask why would BIOS revert back to previous.

Yes this might be the last idea to do. But actually it doesn't bother me now anymore. I mean its behaviour is kinda weird and new to me, but if I want to get a new CPU i just stick to buying a new motherboard. But thank you for your help I appreciate it.

16 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Inspect the CPU for physical damage (bent pins) if you forced the CPU out of an otherwise locked/secured socket.

Fortunately I havent't found any bent pins. Otherwise it wouldn't have fit into the socket again. But I wouldn't doubt that something physical might be affecting the strange behaviour when starting my pc.