Running custom Linux software on virtualbox

Hi,

I'm trying to make something intresting work. I'm currently working with a company that does events and espacially light. We are using a Infiinity Chimp 300. That system uses a AsRock D1800m. That kept me thinking. Is is possible to install the linux software on a other computer or a virtualmachine with virtualbox. I downloaded the software update that is a custom file. If I open the file is reveals a flash.img file that contains a complete linux boot folder. (See picture)

spacer.png

Is it possible to boot a system to this? This is the download link to the boot folder files: https://we.tl/t-IjAAqGAvTd 

9 minutes ago, Thomas_baas said:

Is it possible to boot a system to this?

Looks to me like it just uses syslinux, so yes. You could e.g. chainload it from GRUB, I think plop boot might be able to boot it, or you could look on the Syslinux Wiki at https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_Syslinux_Project

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I see, I already though so. I also saw some files called extlinux. I believe this was a seperate version of syslonux before the projects merged? Is it possible to boot it with VirtualBox? I couldn't really find any information on that subject using syslinux.

2 minutes ago, Thomas_baas said:

I see, I already though so. I also saw some files called extlinux. I believe this was a seperate version of syslonux before the projects merged? Is it possible to boot it with VirtualBox? I couldn't really find any information on that subject using syslinux.

I just downloaded the file and there's a boot.iso there, which seems to contain all the same files. Why don't you just boot that?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Thanks for your response :)

Your right, that is a boot.iso I created with PowerISO. It was one of many tries. Unfortunately it doesn't work. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas_baas said:

Thanks for your response :)

Your right, that is a boot.iso I created with PowerISO. It was one of many tries. Unfortunately it doesn't work. 

Oh, you didn't mention that it contains some ISO you tried to make. I thought it was an original file. Oh well, follows the instructions at https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=HowTos and try e.g. making a bootable floppy-image. You already have the conf-file, the kernel and the initramfs, so all you really need is for it to write the boot-sector.

Ahh I see, I'm trying to make a bootable ISO at this time. I didn't get it to work yet. Maybe I can try to make a bootable USB drive and boot it from there. To create a MBR I used syslinux64.exe f: and I thinkt that generates a MBR and I can just add the boot folder onto the drive and boot to it?