PC Cafe's GTX 1060 vs Laptop's RTX 2060

KN923

Hey everyone!

Just a question about how to optimize my laptop's gaming performance. I have an MSI GE75 kitted with an RTX 2060, intel i7-8750H and 16 gb of single channel RAM. Initially I was pretty satisfied with how my laptop was handling my gaming considering my previous laptop didn't even have a dedicated graphics card(I mostly play League of Legends with some other games like Apex Legends on the side). One day I decided to try the neighborhood internet cafe just to see how much better my laptop was performing relative to their PCs then I discovered it wasn't at all. This is despite the fact that their PCs have significantly lower specs, with a 7th gen intel i3, a GTX 1060 and 4 GB of RAM. My laptop constantly drops to 70-90 FPS in league on medium high settings but the PCs never drop below 140 FPS with max settings. Is there anything I can do to optimize my laptop's performance? Or are PC graphics card units just that much better

The answer isn't what you may think. LoL only uses 1-2 cores so the i3 is actually outperforming your i7 due to it having roughly 30% higher sustained clocks. In addition, the mobile 2060 is severely under locked due to power reasons and is barely faster than a laptop 1660 Ti. The desktop 1060 is rather close to the mobile 1660 Ti so the GPU performance delta is also minimal. I'd say the 2060 in your laptop is likely only 15-20% ahead of a desktop 1060 with proper thermal and power limits.

In short, the i7 is a mess since the 45W limit is nowhere near enough to sustain clockspeeds on six cores.