New PSU has not solved 9700k crashing with C-States enabled

Hi everyone,

I am very sad to be posting about this again, but here I am. This post refers: 

So I bought a new PSU after saving up a bit (I went for a Corsair RM850i so I could run Corsair Link), I installed an AIO water cooler (Antec Mercury 240) to keep temps down, and the problem I posted about above still exists.

I am not overclocking at all, but with the new PSU installed my PC still crashes if C-States are enabled. Sometimes on the desktop, but mostly while I game. I run 2 screens and I keep Corsair Link and MSI Dragon Center's hardware monitor on the 2nd screen, and when crashes happen I see nothing unusual in any of the reported temperatures.

This time around I tried setting C-States to Auto and disabling C1E. This worked for a bit longer, but my system still crashed, this time on the desktop while I was afk and the system was just idling.

Then I tried disabling all C-States from C3 and up, with the same result. Disabling C-States altogether is the only way my system runs 100% stable; my temps are a few degrees C higher with them disabled, and while I can live with things this way I'd prefer my PC to use less power wherever it can for the sake of my power draw and overall temperatures (and thus my CPU's longevity).

Weirdly I have issues going into Sleep mode, too - sometimes the system will enter sleep but the PSU and all of the fans stay on and I have to hit the switch on the PSU. This happened with the previous PSU as well (a Corsair HX1000W) and was a big part of the reason I suspected it was the problem.

My question to you all is this:

Is there anything else I can tweak on my motherboard (an MSI Z390 Gaming Plus) that I am missing that could solve the problem? Ideally I'd like C-States to be enabled and no crashing.

Or am I looking at either a faulty board, or - God forbid - a faulty CPU? Memory has all been tested with MEMTEST86 and every stick passed with flying colours, so it's definitely not that.

Any and all help/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

have you checked if there is a new BIOS available?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Deon du Plessis said:

Hi everyone,

I am very sad to be posting about this again, but here I am. This post refers: 

So I bought a new PSU after saving up a bit (I went for a Corsair RM850i so I could run Corsair Link), I installed an AIO water cooler (Antec Mercury 240) to keep temps down, and the problem I posted about above still exists.

I am not overclocking at all, but with the new PSU installed my PC still crashes if C-States are enabled. Sometimes on the desktop, but mostly while I game. I run 2 screens and I keep Corsair Link and MSI Dragon Center's hardware monitor on the 2nd screen, and when crashes happen I see nothing unusual in any of the reported temperatures.

This time around I tried setting C-States to Auto and disabling C1E. This worked for a bit longer, but my system still crashed, this time on the desktop while I was afk and the system was just idling.

Then I tried disabling all C-States from C3 and up, with the same result. Disabling C-States altogether is the only way my system runs 100% stable; my temps are a few degrees C higher with them disabled, and while I can live with things this way I'd prefer my PC to use less power wherever it can for the sake of my power draw and overall temperatures (and thus my CPU's longevity).

Weirdly I have issues going into Sleep mode, too - sometimes the system will enter sleep but the PSU and all of the fans stay on and I have to hit the switch on the PSU. This happened with the previous PSU as well (a Corsair HX1000W) and was a big part of the reason I suspected it was the problem.

My question to you all is this:

Is there anything else I can tweak on my motherboard (an MSI Z390 Gaming Plus) that I am missing that could solve the problem? Ideally I'd like C-States to be enabled and no crashing.

Or am I looking at either a faulty board, or - God forbid - a faulty CPU? Memory has all been tested with MEMTEST86 and every stick passed with flying colours, so it's definitely not that.

Any and all help/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

you will gain like 1% more longevity by having all C-states enabled when NOT overclocking.

In other words, stop worrying so much. 

No your CPU isn't defective.

C-states are not always reliable.

Load up HWinfo64 and go to the CPU tab, and check the IA AC Loadline value and DC Loadline value in mOhms

What are they?

@Bananasplit_00 There was a BIOS update a few weeks back that I installed... no change in behaviour (this was before installing the new PSU).

@Falkentyne I'll do that when I get home tonight and update here...

A stable CPU should be able to run reliably whether the C states are enabled or not.  If you are having problems with light load stability and the CPU not entering or resuming from sleep mode then that is a sign that your CPU is not getting enough voltage.  Are you using a fixed CPU voltage or adaptive?

I prefer using a fixed voltage when the C states are enabled.  When a core has something to do, it will have adequate voltage.  When a core has nothing to do, it will enter the C7 state where it is disconnected from the voltage rail so it is running internally at 0 MHz and 0 volts.  Cannot beat that.  The typical complaint with a fixed voltage is that you do not want your CPU to always be getting this voltage.  With this setting, it is not.  It is only getting voltage when the CPU cores are loaded and it needs it.    

There are both core C states and package C states.  Start with getting your CPU to run reliably with just the core C states enabled.  They are more important than the package C states.  When overclocking it will be the package C states that first start causing problems.

Okay, so my saga continues.

@Falkentyne, HWinfo64 (both the beta and stable 6.12 release) reports these values:

IA Domain Loadline (AC/DC): 1.000 / 1.000 mOhm

GT Domain Loadline (AC/DC): 3.100 / 3.100 mOhm

@unclewebb, thanks for your input. On the back of it I went looking for settings to tweak in my mobo and came across an MSI blog post about overclocking. I found something about CPU Loadline calibration, and a recommendation for a specific setting.

While my board's BIOS is not identical to the one in the article and I could not set the CPU Core Voltage Mode to Adaptive/Override/Offset/Adaptive + Offset/Override + Offset, I found the CPU Loadline calibration setting and set it to the recommended mode. 

Same result. I fired up Breakpoint, and it hung after about 20 minutes. Temperatures were all within a normal range, CPU wasn't loaded, it just hung.

I have since tried manually setting my CPU voltage to slightly higher than was being reported in my BIOS but I got a BSOD before Windows even loaded, so I guess not.

I'll keep on researching and trying. Otherwise, I guess I just disable C-States entirely and get on with my life.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, LTT peeps.