Purchasing advice much appreciated :)

Ghostchanter

Thanks in advice to anyone helping me out, but it turns out in the headset market there are.....a 'few' options (understatement of the year maybe) and hopefully someone could help me get the best gear for my needs.

Currently rocking a cloud II (and before that a original cloud) and I wouldn't say I was disappointed with either of them...it's just I don't seem to recall any "wow" when wearing them like I did when I purchased a set of razer blackshark's back when BF4 came out. A lovely short story that, but if that bit of info can give any audio guru a glimpse into what my ears prefer to hear, then it was worth telling the story.

Price range for me is around £150 - the new corsair virtuoso really caught my eye when I was browsing, but prior to that I was planning on possibly going for a sennheiser headset of some kind, as in the past those kind of headsets were pretty much out of my price range and the brand seems to come with nothing but good things said about it.

Things important to me:

-Use it pretty much exclusively for gaming, however I do listen to a lot of music when doing work at home or just relaxing

-I think 7.1 is something I prefer. It's always something I have tried to get when headset shopping but tbh I wonder if it's really actually giving me any benefit half the time at all...

-Mic is required, I play a lot of DnD over the net. I do have an external mic, but there is the dream one day to possibly be able to roam the house freely while playing so a decent one is preferred

-Leading on from the last point, wireless is something I've really wanted for a long time, however if you feel that for my budget there is a set of wired headphones that are head and shoulders above most wireless sets, I'm interested

-Lastly I have nobody else in my flat so noise from other people isn't a factor to take in and as far as RGB etc goes I really do not give a crap about it...however I do like shiny flashy things as much as the next person :D

Any other information you feel you need fire away, much appreciate any advice as even after just browsing massdrop I think I had something like 15 or so tabs open of different headsets :S

There are a few good options, and loads of crap. My friends Sennhesier G4ME headset is quite nice. The mic is significantly better than any Hyper X he had before it.

I'd also check out Hardware Canucks channel. They seem to do extensive reviews on headsets, and have loads of comparisons.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

1) Don’t buy a ‘gaming’ headset, just save your money at that point.

58 minutes ago, ForeverIntern said:

but I think it might be a good option for you to get a pair of decent headphones and then strap a modmic to it.

There are a ton of headsets that are quite nice and sound pretty good. PC37X for example. But honestly if your buying a headset, especially for gaming, I would probably be looking more for comfort and convenience instead of scrutinizing over which fits the Harmon target response curve the best, especially since I doubt anyone has complained about the vocals being muddy while playing CS. The virtrusos or a Arctis 7 are definitely a good choice but I would go for the PC37x if you want better sound quality while your listening to music.

My life

6 hours ago, Himommies said:

There are a ton of headsets that are quite nice and sound pretty good. PC37X for example. But honestly if your buying a headset, especially for gaming, I would probably be looking more for comfort and convenience instead of scrutinizing over which fits the Harmon target response curve the best, especially since I doubt anyone has complained about the vocals being muddy while playing CS. The virtrusos or a Arctis 7 are definitely a good choice but I would go for the PC37x if you want better sound quality while your listening to music.

I would argue the Harmon target isn't even the best sound signature for gaming.a flatter sound signature with detailed highs for competitive or something more v shaped is ideal for if you want nice explosions and gunshots while still wanting to hear footsteps is ideal.

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

I would argue the Harmon target isn't even the best sound signature for gaming.a flatter sound signature with detailed highs for competitive or something more v shaped is ideal for if you want nice explosions and gunshots while still wanting to hear footsteps is ideal.

Yeah I watched s hardwarecannucks video and another one someone mentioned and one of them did go on saying that certain headsets are better for footsteps etc. TBH now I've started looking into it all I'm curious to learn and really wish I could actually hear the differences before buying as until then I think I'm more confused than I was to start with haha

11 hours ago, Ghostchanter said:

Yeah I watched s hardwarecannucks video and another one someone mentioned and one of them did go on saying that certain headsets are better for footsteps etc. TBH now I've started looking into it all I'm curious to learn and really wish I could actually hear the differences before buying as until then I think I'm more confused than I was to start with haha

the geneally happens whne you look into it and more options open up. best thing to do is got your local best buy, or guitar centre and somewhere where they let you plu g inyour phone to try out headphones and headsets and play music you are familiar with as well as get familiar with terms such as imaging and sound stage and see how every headphones does it differently. reason I own multiple headphones is because some do gaming better than others and some are better for certain types of music than others