Using Qnap NAS without internet.

So my setup would be nas directly connected to pc via ethernet. PC has internet via wifi.

So can i update the NAS software and download qnap apps? Could it receive the internet via the pc ethernet connection?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

If you share the Wi-Fi adapter it will provide an Internet connection out your Ethernet port. I don't believe this will allow you to talk to the NAS though as it will have to traverse NAT. Bridging the network adapter won't work in my experience either.

...buy a switch?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you share the Wi-Fi adapter it will provide an Internet connection out your Ethernet port. I don't believe this will allow you to talk to the NAS though as it will have to traverse NAT. Bridging the network adapter won't work in my experience either.

...buy a switch?

Switch between a pc and a NAS? My pc only has 1x ethernet port, so it wouldn't be possible?

Or could i do USB tethering to the NAS with a phone? 

Does NAS need ethernet do function?

@Den-Fi I know you connected a QNAP nas to a PC directly, do you have any input on this topic?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

...buy a switch?

I don't see how that solves his problem unless he runs a cable from his router to the switch. If he can't run a cable, he'd need a wireless bridge (sometimes called wifi extenders I think) but the problem with those is that they commonly only have 100Mbps Ethernet ports on them unless you're willing to spend quite a bit on it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, 2FA said:

I don't see how that solves his problem unless he runs a cable from his router to the switch. If he can't run a cable, he'd need a wireless bridge (sometimes called wifi extenders I think) but the problem with those is that they commonly only have 100Mbps Ethernet ports on them unless you're willing to spend quite a bit on it.

Yeah, having access to a router isn't an option.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Switch between a pc and a NAS? My pc only has 1x ethernet port, so it wouldn't be possible?

Or could i do USB tethering to the NAS with a phone? 

Does NAS need ethernet do function?

2 minutes ago, 2FA said:

Yeah, my brain flipped a bit without error checking for a sec. Disregard that.

Connecting the NAS P2P with your laptop wouldn't be a problem but giving it Internet would. I'm not entirely certain of a way to do this. Sharing the Wi-Fi adapter isn't meant to give the clients access to the host so it's kind of one or the other.

If you have an Ethernet cable to your room then Ethernet -> Switch -> Laptop & NAS (I suppose that's why my brain said switch.) but if you don't have a cable going to the room then you may be SOL unless you do something really janky.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, my brain flipped a bit without error checking for a sec. Disregard that.

Connecting the NAS P2P with your laptop wouldn't be a problem but giving it Internet would. I'm not entirely certain of a way to do this. Sharing the Wi-Fi adapter isn't meant to give the clients access to the host so it's kind of one or the other.

If you have an Ethernet cable to your room then Ethernet -> Switch -> Laptop & NAS (I suppose that's why my brain said switch.) but if you don't have a cable going to the room then you may be SOL unless you do something really janky.

Yeah, my home setup is fully based on 4g and wifi, so no access to routers or cables.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah, my home setup is fully based on 4g and wifi, so no access to routers or cables.

Well, the janky option:

Setup a computer with Wi-Fi & Ethernet. Set this up to share the Wi-Fi out the Ethernet port then connect the QNAP, your laptop, & this computer to a switch. Your laptop will be able to reach the QNAP and the QNAP will be able to reach the internet for updates & apps.

Alternatively I do believe there are Wi-Fi repeater products that have an Ethernet port. Then this to a Switch -> etc. That would come with problems though as Windows would then have two paths to get the the NAS Wi-Fi & Ethernet. Knowing Windows it'll use the Wi-Fi which would be slow AF. You could adjust the metric of your interfaces but then that's just not an elegant solution either.

So I guess there's two janky options for you.