Should I buy PS4 in this time of year ?( PS5 coming soon)

DTPhoenix
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Sony has already confirmed that games will be backwards compatible between the PS4 and PS5 so you could get it now, and then trade it in towards a PS5 when they come out or you're ready to upgrade. If you dont have a 4k TV, then no need to get a PS4 Pro, just a regular PS4 is fine. I would get it personally as it will up your visual fidelity a lot and give you a much better user experience overall in gaming. 

I have 4 year old laptop with Ge-force 920M inside it. I know it sucks, now I want to get console and I am planning to get  a PlayStation, mostly for Exclusives and overall couch gaming. 

I am aware that new PS5 is coming somewhere around next year. My question is should I wait for it or PS4 would be good enough and it would last me around 2 more years.
Also If PS4 is your answer then which version should I get ? I don't have 4K TV, and I would be okay with 1080P graphics. Which games or deals should I look for and any other tips which might helpful regarding consoles and buying them in general. 

I have mostly played Overwatch, GTA V, Titanfall 2, JC3/4 and Shooter games  on my laptop for last few years and I also borrow my friend's Alienware sometimes when I really need to game. 
FYI, my last console was PS VITA (if it counts xD).

I am not a Consolero, but general rule: WAIT

Maybe you like the 5 or the 4 will get cheaper 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Sony has already confirmed that games will be backwards compatible between the PS4 and PS5 so you could get it now, and then trade it in towards a PS5 when they come out or you're ready to upgrade. If you dont have a 4k TV, then no need to get a PS4 Pro, just a regular PS4 is fine. I would get it personally as it will up your visual fidelity a lot and give you a much better user experience overall in gaming. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, DTPhoenix said:

I have 4 year old laptop with Ge-force 920M inside it. I know it sucks, now I want to get console and I am planning to get  a PlayStation, mostly for Exclusives and overall couch gaming. 

I am aware that new PS5 is coming somewhere around next year. My question is should I wait for it or PS4 would be good enough and it would last me around 2 more years.
Also If PS4 is your answer then which version should I get ? I don't have 4K TV, and I would be okay with 1080P graphics. Which games or deals should I look for and any other tips which might helpful regarding consoles and buying them in general. 

I have mostly played Overwatch, GTA V, Titanfall 2, JC3/4 and Shooter games  on my laptop for last few years and I also borrow my friend's Alienware sometimes when I really need to game. 
FYI, my last console was PS VITA (if it counts xD).

I'd wait a bit to hear details about the ps5 mainly backwards compatibility. If the ps5 has it skip the ps4 if it doesn't get a cheap used one

Depends on on your money and situation. But I'd say buy the normal PS4.  For example, I bought an Xbox One S yesterday. My only gaming device for the last few years has been a tablet! I'm happy enough knowing it'll be outdated soon enough but for me, it's a solid choice for a year or 2. Hopefully by then I can afford an upgrade. My tv sucks too and I can't afford anything better so for me the X or the pro wouldn't make sense, especially as it will be just as outdated in a year or so too. I have a little more free time now and I'm not willing to wait until next year or '21 to start gaming again properly.

One other thing you might consider is Sony does pretty ridiculous PS4 deals for Black Friday week. Last year the entire week of Black Friday they had the PS4 Slim plus Spiderman for $200. It wouldn't surprise me to see a $200 PS4 Slim plus Death Stranding bundle this Black Friday week. In addition to all the game deals Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Amazon, etc run, PSN will have a huge sale too. Also if you want to play online, Playstation Plus typically goes on sale for $40 for a year around Black Friday.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:24 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

One other thing you might consider is Sony does pretty ridiculous PS4 deals for Black Friday week. Last year the entire week of Black Friday they had the PS4 Slim plus Spiderman for $200. It wouldn't surprise me to see a $200 PS4 Slim plus Death Stranding bundle this Black Friday week. In addition to all the game deals Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Amazon, etc run, PSN will have a huge sale too. Also if you want to play online, Playstation Plus typically goes on sale for $40 for a year around Black Friday.

oh wow, I would definitely want to get my hands on PS plus at discounted price.