Cable management question

Gusto
Go to solution Solved by NineEyeRon,

Back in the day we just zip tied and taped to the case metal where it was possible. Just aim to move the cables out of the middle, away from heat sinks and fans etc.

Difficulty: Low

Cost: Some (zip ties, anchor points optional, tape optional.)

Time: 30 minutes should be enough.

I just put together a new rig with the help of my buddy, but the wires are poorly managed and scattered everywhere. I want  to get it rewired professionally at a shop but may need to wait until my next paycheck. Is there a high chance something would go wrong if I attempted to use it before I can get it rewired? 

Side note, the dust panel is removed in these pictures, that’s not an issue. 

A36BB24E-A818-498D-8E49-C6C117E0973B.jpeg

D01B2E86-E8C2-4388-9924-FEDA6174EAB0.jpeg

Nothing can really go wrong, unless theres a cable caught in a fan blade or something

But why don't you reorganize it yourself? Then you don't have to pay for the labor for someone to do a 30 minute job

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Gusto said:

Is there a high chance something would go wrong if I attempted to use it before I can get it rewired? 

bringing the pc & rebuild can damage some parts by accidents.

rebuild your lego anyway you like is free

You can do fast fix by pulling cables tight and together. In reality looks are only thing that is wrong.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Gusto said:

I just put together a new rig with the help of my buddy, but the wires are poorly managed and scattered everywhere. I want  to get it rewired professionally at a shop but may need to wait until my next paycheck. Is there a high chance something would go wrong if I attempted to use it before I can get it rewired? 

Just make sure cables don't dangle into fans or rest on heat sinks and you're good. If something rests on a heatsink, try sticking it on the other side of the heatsink.

You can do it yourself, it's not hard and it might prove to be a nice learning experience. Just make sure you don't use excessive force when unplugging or pluggiing in cables. Some have retention clips.

You could use some thin black zip ties to help you. Try to route as many cables as possible behind the motherboard tray if your case allows it and the cables are long enough.

Back in the day we just zip tied and taped to the case metal where it was possible. Just aim to move the cables out of the middle, away from heat sinks and fans etc.

Difficulty: Low

Cost: Some (zip ties, anchor points optional, tape optional.)

Time: 30 minutes should be enough.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

If you want to modular and fancy then consider using velcro straps too, otherwise zipties work just as well.

Flip those bottom fans over so that they intake and feed the GPU some fresh air. One should be enough, and put the other one as an exhaust behind the CPU cooler. Kind of hard to tell from the pic, but is the fan on the cooler pulling air through the finstack and exhausting it out or is it pushing air through and into the case ? I'd have it pull and exhaust out the back, and put a case fan there to help the hot air escape. The cooler fan could also be oriented differently to manage that cable better.

ive seen worse being run, just make sure nothing gets caught somehere...

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:43 PM, Gusto said:

cable management is largely a personal matter, and is a matter of aesthetics. As long as the cables are not inside another part (use common sense) it's fine, just not the aesthetic standard. I would advise you not to pay and figure it out yourself with zip ties, but it's really up to you