Developer Single board PC For Developer

Vinay Shiva
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Why do you need a sbc for this? Why not just get a mini pc like a nuc or a optiplex micro?

Hi Linus,

i am am a subscriber of your YouTube channel, I will put what I need you let me know if it’s possible.

i am big fan of SBC 1 need one to be having good processor 16 to 32 gb memory. And any graphics card would be ok.

2 monitors keyboard and mouse support. With Wi-Fi and Ethernet port. 2 mini display port.

generally developers have dual monitors setup and if you are a MS applications developer then you spin up multiple instance of Visual Studio and some databases like Mongo and SqlServer with IIS or some web server . You also typically have a VM for Linux just in case if hosting some mongo dB clust.

We don’t need great displays or gaming on always. But we need to test business line Apps and fire them away.

Any dig on repurposed laptops to convert to a high end SBC.

Thank you.

Vinay

It’s cool to have a SBC. It’s more portable sort of.and you get a satisfaction of having some thing which you can plug in other things like a light controller or remote fan. To do some fun stuff.

4 minutes ago, Vinay Shiva said:

Hi Linus,

i am am a subscriber of your YouTube channel, I will put what I need you let me know if it’s possible.

i am big fan of SBC 1 need one to be having good processor 16 to 32 gb memory. And any graphics card would be ok.

2 monitors keyboard and mouse support. With Wi-Fi and Ethernet port. 2 mini display port.

generally developers have dual monitors setup and if you are a MS applications developer then you spin up multiple instance of Visual Studio and some databases like Mongo and SqlServer with IIS or some web server . You also typically have a VM for Linux just in case if hosting some mongo dB clust.

We don’t need great displays or gaming on always. But we need to test business line Apps and fire them away.

Any dig on repurposed laptops to convert to a high end SBC.

Thank you.

Vinay

If you're looking for cheap singleboard computers to test applications on, things like the Atomic Pi exist. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N298F2B/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_Br5MDbAD9BPS0

If you want something with more power, look into the new intel Nucs. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, Vinay Shiva said:

It’s cool to have a SBC. It’s more portable sort of.and you get a satisfaction of having some thing which you can plug in other things like a light controller or remote fan. To do some fun stuff.

can't you just have something like an arduino if you want gpio?

How fast of a cpu do you want? There are very few sbc with a cpu faster than atom, and there really not any smaller than a nuc or simmilar.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can't you just have something like an arduino if you want gpio?

How fast of a cpu do you want? There are very few sbc with a cpu faster than atom, and there really not any smaller than a nuc or simmilar.

I7 or I5 laptop grade 4 core or 8 HT

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There are very few sbc with a cpu faster than atom, and there really not any smaller than a nuc or simmilar.

That's not quite right. There's a whole world of SBCs out there, some with current gen i7 chips on them. A common and useful form factor is called PC/104.

Infact, the entire Arduino/RPi idea of shields and such comes from the PC/104 "stackable PC" form factor.

Wikipedia PC/104 article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC/104

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That's not quite right. There's a whole world of SBCs out there, some with current gen i7 chips on them. A common and useful form factor is called PC/104.

Infact, the entire Arduino/RPi idea of shields and such comes from the PC/104 "stackable PC" form factor.

Wikipedia PC/104 article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC/104

? thank you. I know I am not great at the hardware line up of things that’s why I reach out. My question may be silly but it’s a PC for devs who want to do a little different and cost affective as major brands in laptops bring in great displays and it just shoots up the price.

having a workable display is fine 2 gen previous is also fine but needs to have the ports for dev 

in modern laptops finding 2 display ports is quite a challenge you need adaptor over adaptor. Or in the phone world a ginger for a dongle.

I know I can just by a refurbished laptop and call it a day. The idea was to see if I could screw a board together.