OS installers failing to run on shiny new build

OHAI, fellow internet citizen!

I just put together a new build (initially testing on my desk) and was excited to get going. Everything appears in order when going through the data reported to BIOS, but unfortunately neither the Ubuntu 19.04 nor the Windows 10.1903 installers are able to fully start up. They boot, but once I select "Install Ubuntu" I just end up just staring at the logo screen - dots moving away. Similarly the Windows installer just barely boots - the cursor blinking in the upper-left corner, eternally mocking me.

Build:

• ROG Strix X570-F
  • ROG Strix AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Corsair Vengance 2x16GB 3200MHz
  • Corsair Force Series MP600 1TB x 2
  • Corsair RM750x

Attempted configurations:

• RAM set to auto (2133) or manual 3200
  • Compatibility mode on or off
  • Secure boot set to Windows or non-Windows system
  • NVMe's in RAID 0 or no RAID

Web searches are not turning up a whole lot other than "this is how you configure your boot order" - which is not super helpful. Just to be clear: Both OS installers boot. They just end up sitting there.

Any insight or reference would be very much appreciated. My daughter already turned the shipping box into a space ship, so some value has come out of this - but still. I would quite like to end up with a working computer at the end of this :)

Managed to dig up more info on the Ubuntu side. At least there, the issue looks related to a bug in the current microcode for Ryzen 3000 CPUs, serving up bad rand values:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1835809

Additionally, I realized that in order to properly boot installers ASUS BIOS needs "fast boot" disabled in addition to having compatibility mode enabled and secure boot disabled.

I managed to get Ubuntu 18.04 set up and am upgrading from there to 19.04 at the moment, so we'll see. Ubuntu was having none of the RAID0 setup from ASUS, so I disabled it. Will give Win10 a shot once 19.04 is confirmed running solidly here.

So getting to 19.04 via 18.04 worked. Still no dice on Windows 10. Guessing an older image or going via Windows 7 might work?

Anyone else who's been successful installing Windows 10 from scratch on a 3700X or other 3000 series? Curious what variables are at play here - motherboard BIOS build interaction mayhaps?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I gave it a look earlier, but was not exactly filled with confidence in it when the listed version "1201" is lower than what the BIOS reports. I don't have access to the machine right now, but will verify the version number when I get back.

2 minutes ago, AngryAnt said:

I gave it a look earlier, but was not exactly filled with confidence in it when the listed version "1201" is lower than what the BIOS reports. I don't have access to the machine right now, but will verify the version number when I get back.

You have 7005? That's older

image.png.fd9d211d4ab9916751bc404b873b7e75.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Tadaa! Turns out I was looking at the wrong version number. "2.20.1271" appears to be the version of the BIOS UI (I was looking at the last bit of it, 1271, and reading that as the bios version - clearly a later build than 1201) - not the actual BIOS.

The actual BIOS version number is 0807 x64 (build date Aug 07 2019). I'll run a backup of it and give 1201 a try.

So I gave 1201 a go. At least it does not impact the ability to boot the current Ubuntu install, but unfortunately it also does not affect the Windows 10 installers ability to boot on the system. Setup is:

• Secure boot disabled
  • Compatibility mode enabled
  • NVMe drives not in RAID configuration

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapping this up, I am well satisfied with the setup of sticking with 18.04 with latest AMD drivers. It is my primary work environment and my games are playing well here, so I have no reason to continue trying to get Windows to cooperate. Will in stead be looking at running a single-partition RAID0 setup across the two SSDs.

With all things software covering my needs, I can better focus on the real challenge of fitting all this crap inside my stripped out old PowerMac G4 case :P

• 1 month later...

Updates:

Still running Ubuntu 18.04 with no compromises to my work environment or gaming setup (recently I've enjoyed the hell out of The Outer Worlds). This past week I managed a light injury, confining me to working from home for that week - during which at no point I thought about pulling out my daily driver laptop. I will be setting up a Win10 VM for testing, but that's about it.