Can't change fan speed through bios!

Randomizer23

Hey so i wanted to change my case fan control on my bios. I have a z390 aorus ultra motherboard so I went to smart fan 5 in my bios. I tested by trying to turn the fan to the lowest using the curve but nothing happened. I need some help thanks.

9 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Hey so i wanted to change my case fan control on my bios. I have a z390 aorus ultra motherboard so I went to smart fan 5 in my bios. I tested by trying to turn the fan to the lowest using the curve but nothing happened. I need some help thanks.

Are they PWM fans?

Are they plugged into a PWM compatible header?

Did you set them up in bios as PWM?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Are they PWM fans?

Are they plugged into a PWM compatible header?

Did you set them up in bios as PWM?

Yes

7 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Yes

If you set them to the lowest rpm when they already are quiet then it won't make a different try setting them to 100% and see if they get louder and ramp up. If they are detected and set up correctly then they should work with Smart Fan 5.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

If you set them to the lowest rpm when they already are quiet then it won't make a different try setting them to 100% and see if they get louder and ramp up. If they are detected and set up correctly then they should work with Smart Fan 5.

ok ill try that. ill keep u posted.

What fan are you using and which header did you plug it into? What rpm is the fan running at?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What fan are you using and which header did you plug it into? What rpm is the fan running at?

about 1000 rpm for all 4 and theyre in system fan header and theyr epwm

Just now, Randomizer23 said:

about 1000 rpm for all 4 and theyre in system fan header and theyr epwm

The headers are labelled. What are the fan model names and which one are they each plugged into?

Are they plugged into individual headers on the motherboard?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The headers are labelled. What are the fan model names and which one are they each plugged into?

Are they plugged into individual headers on the motherboard?

Yes they are and they are the ll120 from corsair.

Did you use the Calibrate function in Smart Fan 5?

Did you use the Calibrate function in Smart Fan 5?

No whats that.

Just now, Randomizer23 said:

No whats that.

There's a button that says Calibrate. I think it registers the fan rpm range and fan control might not work properly or at all without using it. 

There's a button that says Calibrate. I think it registers the fan rpm range and fan control might not work properly or at all without using it. 

Where is it located I dont remember seeing it in the bios.

2 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Where is it located I dont remember seeing it in the bios.

Have you tried pressing F7 to go to Advanced Mode? It might show up in a different Smart Fan 5 menu. 

17 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried pressing F7 to go to Advanced Mode? It might show up in a different Smart Fan 5 menu. 

I did not see the option that u said. I set a fan to full speed and it worked. How can I make it go off my gpu temp do i select pcie 16x beccause thats where i have my gpu installed.

8 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

I did not see the option that u said. I set a fan to full speed and it worked. How can I make it go off my gpu temp do i select pcie 16x beccause thats where i have my gpu installed.

The option should be available when you first enter the motherboard settings.

The fans going to max rpm probably means that fan control works. I think that only makes the fan follow the temps for the pcie slot itself and not the gpu. You can try it and find out. 

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The option should be available when you first enter the motherboard settings.

The fans going to max rpm probably means that fan control works. I think that only makes the fan follow the temps for the pcie slot itself and not the gpu. You can try it and find out. 

Ok thanks. Is there a program I can use that lets me control my fan speeds? I tried speedfan but my fans were not showing up.

30 minutes ago, Randomizer23 said:

Ok thanks. Is there a program I can use that lets me control my fan speeds? I tried speedfan but my fans were not showing up.

If you can't do it from the bios, you can try downloading Gigabyte's SIV / Smart Fan 5 program and try controlling it from within Windows instead. 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you can't do it from the bios, you can try downloading Gigabyte's SIV / Smart Fan 5 program and try controlling it from within Windows instead. 

Ok ty