Sometimes my PC crashes unexpectedly and becomes unresponsive at all !

Jawad14

Since I've updated my ASUS Prime x470-pro motherboard's BIOS to the latest version from asus.com , I started facing this weird issue. Usually now when I play League of Legends, when the game is either ended on a defeat or victory, the whole computer just freezes and becomes unresponsive at all, I can't tab out and can't even do ALT+F4 or even CTRL+ALT+DEL , so I just force shutdown the PC by holding the power button for about 4 or 5 seconds. Even the animation of the game freezes, but sound keeps rolling. I tried reinstalling the game, and tried repairing the game from its own client, but the problem persisted. I'm using a Ryzen 7 2700x with 16Gb RAM G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz. Moreover, since I updated the BIOS, I realized something weird in the Task Manager, on the page of "Memory". I've attached a picture of it. I can't see the RAM's speed, and hardware reserved memory is ZERO, in-which I actually before updating the BIOS it had some value instead of ZERO. and there seems like a couple of chunks of information that was on that page has suddenly disappeared after the BIOS update. So am not sure about whats really happening right now and would like some recommendations on what to do regarding this problem, cuz until now I've force-shutdown-ed my PC about 7 times because of this issue, and would not like to keep force-shutting down my PC because I don't think thats a good thing to do always. All this happened after the BIOS update, so does this mean I have to downgrade to my older BIOS to avoid this problem? Because on the older version of the BIOS, everything ran so smooth and nice.

image.png.0e01731570bae5a829742d642798bfd5.png

image.png.ed98bf8be2db50861b2cceaa2177b9dd.png

The first step I would take before digging too deep is to check the temps of your CPU and GPU while in-game. It's possible that the BIOS update could have messed up your fan curve.

If those are OK, try installing the game on a different drive since you have more than one. If it still acts up, it's probably not a hard drive issue.

If it was a RAM issue IMO you should be getting a BSOD, but I'm not positive on that. You could try removing one ram stick and try playing the game. If it still freezes switch the ram sticks and re-test.

If all else fails, roll-back your bios. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 hours ago, Votivee said:

The first step I would take before digging too deep is to check the temps of your CPU and GPU while in-game. It's possible that the BIOS update could have messed up your fan curve.

If those are OK, try installing the game on a different drive since you have more than one. If it still acts up, it's probably not a hard drive issue.

If it was a RAM issue IMO you should be getting a BSOD, but I'm not positive on that. You could try removing one ram stick and try playing the game. If it still freezes switch the ram sticks and re-test.

If all else fails, roll-back your bios. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I had the game installed on my "Samsung 970 Evo NVME SSD 256GB". So I uninstalled it from there and installed it on my 2.5" HDD that I've ripped off my laptop (a 2TB HDD). I then played 3 matches on the game and my PC didn't crash surprisingly! This seems to work, because I never had the game not-crashing 3 times in a row after I've updated the BIOS. Am still going to play more later on and will write an update on whether this solution has worked or not, but its working till now, and thanks to you!! :D