Is 8gb of Ram enough for browsing/google sheet/discord/YouTube until 5 years from now? (laptop)

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of ordering a laptop (running Windows 10 and browsing with Chrome) for my work. What I do is browsing the web (including YouTube videos and mostly random websites, maximum 8-10 tabs, generally around 5), using one instance of google sheet, having the windows 10 mail app opened (it sucks I know) and Discord. If I use Netflix, for personal use, it will be by its own or just with Discord on the background.

I do not play any game on this device nor do I do heavy video or image editing. I could have to cut some HD video footage but that's it.

I've tried to see if 8gb is enough for my usage now, and it is, on Desktop. I would have to open something like 60 tabs and a lot of the light apps I use to reach 95% usage.

The problem is: what about the future? I will always keep doing the same type of stuff, but i am worried that in the next 5 years, memory usage goes up because of new features in Chrome, Windows 10 and Discord. I have no experience in memory usage increase over the years. What do you think about it? Upgrading to 16gb of RAM for this particular laptop would cost me a lot, but i'm hoping to get some answers here to make a decision.

Thank you all a lot!

5 years ? nope. takes 16GB if the usage its high. it reduced stress on your laptop.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Thank you :) I'll just have to wait one or two years more to afford it. 

For the mentioned use case 8GB is fine, and isn't really going to change if your uses don't change. The safe option would be to ensure the laptop has 1x8GB module fitted, and then you leave the door open to add another 8GB later on if your uses change.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

32 minutes ago, porina said:

For the mentioned use case 8GB is fine, and isn't really going to change if your uses don't change. The safe option would be to ensure the laptop has 1x8GB module fitted, and then you leave the door open to add another 8GB later on if your uses change.

Thank you. The thing is that it is a laptop that cannot be upgraded for RAM (Surface Laptop 3)