Razer support still bad

Razer makes astonishing computers with blazing hardware and superb build quality.

So what's my problem?

Razers support agenda is to stall customers until they take their problems elsewhere, not to actually try and solve my problems.

It all started when I opened the box to the expensive laptop I bought where it said in case I had any issues I should contact Razer directly instead of contacting my retailer.

So this is what I did when I realized my speaker was broken, but what I did not expect was that Razer tries duck and weave around this statement not willing to let me send them the computer directly. First asking me for details that I provided, not really assuring my issue was gonna be solved.

The last thing I'm told is to send my laptop back to the retailer, guess what they did? They sent it to Razer so mission accomplished I guess?

I sent my phone directly to Samsung to be repaired, so why can't Razer do that?

This next part I thought was all sorted and good until I realized Razer was gonna take the maximum amount of time they could to replace my speaker unit resulting in me missing 3 weeks of school work that I payed a lot of money to have a good laptop for. And today I missed a whole lecture because I didn't have a computer to use.

It took a single week for Samsung to replace my phone screen. How long should a speaker take?

I'm on the third week an I still don't have a way to complete my assignment.

Instead of spending money on marketing maybe it should spent it on better quality assurance and not understaffing your repair shops.

Sry for your situation, that sucks.

It is in line though what I've heard from others here on the forum, razers quality control and service seems to be non existing.

The budget from these two seems to be completely dumped into marketing

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Razer support is known to be the worst in the whole tech industry. Their products are also shocking poor quality once you remove the panels. The outside looks good but the internals, motherboards, speakers, trackpad, screen cabling, etc, is VERY cheap and lower quality than what you can find on some Chromebooks. Components are frequently run in overload scenarios and that causes thermal or power issues resulting in frequent failures. Razer also have the highest failure rate amongst all laptop manufacturers in terms of failed units index. I would implore you to seek a refund and buy a different laptop lest you fail school when razer refuse to honour their warranty (a thing that is not uncommon or rare for them). Again, I feel sorry for you but nothing we can do but pray a refund is poaaible under local law

1 hour ago, Colin N said:

The last thing I'm told is to send my laptop back to the retailer, guess what they did? They sent it to Razer so mission accomplished I guess?

I sent my phone directly to Samsung to be repaired, so why can't Razer do that?

because its a whole lot easier for Razer to have retailers send the hardware back. also, iirc a lot of consumer protection laws allow you to ask for a replacement device while you are waiting for your unit to be repaired. 

superb build quality

when it comes to laptop, they are not known for great build quality. 

38 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

because its a whole lot easier for Razer to have retailers send the hardware back. also, iirc a lot of consumer protection laws allow you to ask for a replacement device while you are waiting or your unit to be repaired. 

A big issue is that tech press like LTT constantly praise Razer despite the laptops being horribly designed in most cases. @LinusTech Needs to hold Razer accountable in reviews and get PBHenry from TWR Electronics in so he can point out the numerous bad and absurd issues. It's getting to the point where Razer have a line up of failure prone devices with no real negative press aside from users on most forums screaming about problems or warning others not to buy Razer. I hope this reaches LMG and they consider a PSA or deep dive with Henry the way they did one with Louis Rossmann about the iMac Pro. I'll tag @nicklmg @GabenJr and @Slick in attempt to signal boost the issue a bit

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

A big issue is that tech press like LTT constantly praise Razer despite the laptops being horribly designed in most cases.

tbf their laptops are really nice. it is just that they really dont last long at all for a lot of people. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

tbf their laptops are really nice. it is just that they really dont last long at all for a lot of people. 

They look nice. Internally it's mess. Razer PCB design is worse that what you have on many laptops that coat only 400-500$

56 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Razer PCB design is worse that what you have on many laptops that coat only 400-500$

Same goes to Apple imo

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

PBHenry from TWR Electronics

finally someone brought up this guy

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

19 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Same goes to Apple imo

finally someone brought up this guy

Indeed - Henry is probably the best source on Razer information and design flaws since he repaired them as a living for several years.

I'll also tag @RILEYISMYNAME and @jakkuh_t. Hopefully Razer's glaring issues get some attention since they've been progressively getting worse since 2013

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I guess what I was trying to say is that trying to get a powerful laptop that doesn't scream gamer and doesn't have plastic materials is hard, I was choosing between Dell and razer but ultimately I chose razer because they are one of the only companies that care about a nice looking chassis without racing stripes or cheap materials, say what you will about internals tho.

6 minutes ago, Colin N said:

I guess what I was trying to say is that trying to get a powerful laptop that doesn't scream gamer and doesn't have plastic materials is hard, I was choosing between Dell and razer but ultimately I chose razer because they are one of the only companies that care about a nice looking chassis without racing stripes or cheap materials, say what you will about internals tho.

Well, plastic can actually be more durable than aluminium if done right. I'd say the likes of the Asus Zephyrus, MSI GS, Gigabyte Aero and Dell Alienware M are all vastly superior, though. At least then you don't have to worry about the multitudes of known and well-documented issues that Razer laptops have. Just, see for yourself

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-may-want-to-consider-a-recall-for-their-Blade-and-Blade-Pro-AC-adapters.426448.0.html

image.png.df9e68aaa2d855a619f076889de94d3f.png

I guess what I was trying to say is that trying to get a powerful laptop that doesn't scream gamer and doesn't have plastic materials is hard

Business grade > consumer grade. Thinkpad/Latitude/Elitebook is a much better purchase imo

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Business grade > consumer grade. Thinkpad/Latitude/Elitebook is a much better purchase imo

Honestly, if the ThinkPad X1 Extreme gets a 1660 Ti option alongside a six-core i7, then that's going to be the go-to portable gaming laptop

18 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Honestly, if the ThinkPad X1 Extreme gets a 1660 Ti option alongside a six-core i7, then that's going to be the go-to portable gaming laptop

They need to fix the cooling first. Otherwise it could be a near perfect thin and light workstation

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I fully agree that Razer build quality and support is crap compared to its high price, but it´s also good to compare with other branded thin and powerfull laptops with good astetics. I dont´t want to discredit TWR Electronics or Louis Rossmann as they are doing amazing work, but if you are known for repairing Razer blades or Macbooks then you are going to find alot of faults in these laptops.

I´ve seen alot of people recommend the MSI GS65 or Dell XPS 15 for example instead of the Razer blade. These laptops have alot of issues aswell which haven't been fixed in years. If you think you can travel and game for years on these laptop without a hassle then your going to be dissapointed. 

People need to understand that thin and light gaming laptops are not made to last for long. They are made to look nice and have high end specs so people want to buy them. If you want performance and reliability then you need to sacrifice some of the thin and good astetics.

If you buy these laptops for GAMING then you should buy them from a local retailer so you can test the laptop for all common defects and return it if needed in the first 2 weeks (EU law). You should also prepare to replace the laptop in 2-3 years as it probably will be falling apart. This is not the case If you only do work with some light gaming from time to time and dont travel alot with the laptop.

1 hour ago, Jansson said:

I fully agree that Razer build quality and support is crap compared to its high price, but it´s also good to compare with other branded thin and powerfull laptops with good astetics. I dont´t want to discredit TWR Electronics or Louis Rossmann as they are doing amazing work, but if you are known for repairing Razer blades or Macbooks then you are going to find alot of faults in these laptops.

I´ve seen alot of people recommend the MSI GS65 or Dell XPS 15 for example instead of the Razer blade. These laptops have alot of issues aswell which haven't been fixed in years. If you think you can travel and game for years on these laptop without a hassle then your going to be dissapointed. 

People need to understand that thin and light gaming laptops are not made to last for long. They are made to look nice and have high end specs so people want to buy them. If you want performance and reliability then you need to sacrifice some of the thin and good astetics.

If you buy these laptops for GAMING then you should buy them from a local retailer so you can test the laptop for all common defects and return it if needed in the first 2 weeks (EU law). You should also prepare to replace the laptop in 2-3 years as it probably will be falling apart. This is not the case If you only do work with some light gaming from time to time and dont travel alot with the laptop.

Well, we don't really recommend the XPS 15 here either so it actually falls in the same category as Razer's laptops and Apple MBs. Thin/Light and powerful is possible - we've had pretty good executions in the form of the Zephyrus and Aero lines but people gravitate towards the expensive crap because marketing. The GS65, while not perfect, is a fairly competent and adequately priced laptop.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, 5x5 said:

Well, we don't really recommend the XPS 15 here either so it actually falls in the same category as Razer's laptops and Apple MBs. Thin/Light and powerful is possible - we've had pretty good executions in the form of the Zephyrus and Aero lines but people gravitate towards the expensive crap because marketing. The GS65, while not perfect, is a fairly competent and adequately priced laptop.

The MSI GS65 design and support has the same problems as the razer blade you where complaining about. One of the many problems with the MSI GS lineup is that they use a power jack wich only support half the amp that the laptop uses which results in the power jack getting fried. MSI will have you replace the hole motherboard to fix this even if it can be done by replacing the power jack for 60-70 USD, including both parts and work at a local repair shop. This is also true for many other MSI laptop models as well, as well as other brands. 

My point was not to make the complaints about razer invalid. I only want to make people aware that alot of the complaints can be said to other manufacturers as well. There have been a trend lately to complain about razer, which in the long run is good for their development, but there must be a reason a lot of reviewers use their laptops as their daily drivers.