NZXT  Crafted Series Phantom 410 Mid Tower ATX

Mobo

Gigabyte  GA-Z87X-UD4H Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel

CPU

Intel  Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Socket LGA 1150 Boxed Processor

CPU Cooling

Corsair  Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

RAM

Crucial  Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules)

GPU

EVGA  04G-P4-3778-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Classified ACX Cooler 4096MB GDDR5 PCIe x16 3.0

SSD

Samsung  840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 120GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive Upgrade Kit (SSD)

HHD

Seagate  Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive STBD2000101

PSU

Corsair  RM Series Rm750 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply

Optical

ASUS  BC-12B1ST 16x DVDRW Burner/12x BD Reader Internal Drive

1. Budget & Location
my total budget has already been stressed on this build -- I live in Minneapolis and will not be having any parts shipped to me because i rather not return ship parts right from the start if something does work out of the box.  I will be purchasing the entire build from a local retailer named Micro Center.  The links above are to the local store. (my total so far on everything including software and peripherals is hitting 2400)

2. Aim
I have a 7month old baby, so besides gaming and general internet usage, I now do minor photo/video editing.

3. Monitors
one currently but my build is designed to give options for upgrading in the future (1080 currently)

4. Peripherals
New build - so yeah I will be going cheap on peripherals with the monitor using onboard speakers. and Windows 8 or 7 (havent decided yet)

4+ Years on Steam - Profile Name: Nimbus ~l~ Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ~l~ ASUS Z87 Pro ATX Intel Motherboard ~l~ Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Processor ~l~

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3072MB GDDR5 Video Card ~l~ Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) ~l~

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ~l~ Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ~l~ Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply ~l~ NZXT Crafted Series Phantom 410 Mid Tower ATX - Black

1. Go with Windows 7

2. Go with 8 GB RAM

3. Why not an H100i?

Well, From what I know, the 4770k is only really used for video rendering and heavy editing, so I think you'd be fine with the 4670k, maybe use money on the GTX 780 instead then ? :)
And the Ram.. I'm not sure how much it affects just photo and video editing, as I've been doing fine doing some videos and photos for my family on an i5 2320 and 8Gb of 1600Mhz.
I'd say maybe just go for 8Gigs and then take some higher frequency, such as 1866 perhaps ?

Though - I'm sorta new to this, so I'd like to know from others what he could do, but this is what I think :)

1. Go with Windows 7

2. Go with 8 GB RAM

3. Why not an H100i?

Thanks ...

I actually am getting the H100i .... I originally was looking at the other H80i and I guess I left that link in without notice. 

However since my daughter was born, I find that i am using the video editing and photoshop options more and more now (we take at least 3 pictures a day, so there is a lot of editing).  So I thought it would be better to go with 16 RAM.  But I guess I could shave a few dollars at the front with starting at 8 GB.  Quick question though..... I find that when I game I also go watch videos and other things as well.... would the RAM affect multi-tasking while gaming?

4+ Years on Steam - Profile Name: Nimbus ~l~ Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit ~l~ ASUS Z87 Pro ATX Intel Motherboard ~l~ Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Processor ~l~

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3072MB GDDR5 Video Card ~l~ Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) ~l~

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ~l~ Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ~l~ Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply ~l~ NZXT Crafted Series Phantom 410 Mid Tower ATX - Black

Thanks ...

I actually am getting the H100i .... I originally was looking at the other H80i and I guess I left that link in without notice. 

However since my daughter was born, I find that i am using the video editing and photoshop options more and more now (we take at least 3 pictures a day, so there is a lot of editing).  So I thought it would be better to go with 16 RAM.  But I guess I could shave a few dollars at the front with starting at 8 GB.  Quick question though..... I find that when I game I also go watch videos and other things as well.... would the RAM affect multi-tasking while gaming?

For gaming 8GB is already enough and I would say it is enough for photoshop (as long as you aren't gaming and photoshopping at the same time). So my recommendation would be 8GB and get a 780 with that money. Plus it is much cheaper to add RAM later than a new GPU.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

okay... that's two votes to upgrade the GPU.  So here's what I see and I wanted to ask, what is the difference?  Can anyone help justify the extra $60 bucks in upgrading to the 780 with 3GB memory from the 770 with 4GB memory i chose?

The reason I ask is when I read these specs I cant justify the extra money needed for the 780; can someone help me understand? 

As this is my first build, I am very open to critiques.... I just need to understand why; I always thought that you would render more FPS with higher clock speeds.  Since they both have a Maximum Refresh Rate of 240Hz.  The only other factor in FPS should be the Texture fill rate, and you generally cant tell a difference in Texture Fill Rate 185.6GT/s and Texture Fill Rate 147.2GT/s can you?

0419829_750240.jpg EVGA 04G-P4-3778-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Classified ACX Cooler 4096MB GDDR5 PCIe x16 3.0 Video Card

SKU 750240
$479.99
Specifications
Product Information SKU 750240 Mfr Part# 04G-P4-3778-KR UPC 843368024833
Chipset Form Factor Standard
GPU Manufacturer NVIDIA GPU
Chipset GeForce GTX 770
Number of GPUs 1
Overclocked Yes
Core Clock Speed 1150MHz
Boost Core Clock Speed 1202MHz
RAMDAC Clock Speed 400MHz
CUDA Processors 1536
Texture Fill Rate 147.2GT/s
Maximum Digital Resolution 4096x2160
Maximum Analog Resolution 2048x1536
Max Monitors Supported 4
MaxMonitors Supported 4
Maximum Refresh Rate 240Hz
Memory Video Memory 4096MB Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Clock Speed 3500MHz (7010MHz Effective) Memory Bus 256-bit Memory Bandwidth 224.32 GB/s
General OpenGL Support OpenGL 4.3 DirectX Support DirectX 11 (Shader Model 5.0) NVIDIA SLI Support NVIDIA 2-Way & 3-Way SLI HDCP Support Yes 3D Ready Yes Cooling Fan
Features Features NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready; NVIDIA CUDA Technology; NVIDIA PhysX Technology;
Audio/Video Audio Playback 7.1 Channel Surround Sound (through HDMI connector) Audio Input for HDMI Internal
Connectors DVI 1 x Dual-Link DVI-I 1 x Dual-Link DVI-D Dual Link DVI Support Yes HDMI 1 x HDMI DisplayPort Connectors (1) DisplayPort
System Requirements Supported Windows Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 Interface PCIe 3.0 x16
Thermal & Power Power Supply Requirements 600 Watt Power Supply (with 42A on the +12V Rail) Power Connectors (2) PCI-E 8-pin Maximum Graphics Card Power 250 Watts Certifications FCC, CE
Package Contents What's in the Box EVGA Driver/Software Disc (1) DVI to VGA Adapter (For DVI-I) (2) 8-pin PCI-E Power Adapters EVGA Accessory Pack User Guide
Manufacturer Warranty Parts 3 Years Labor 3 Years

0415279_627612.jpg EVGA 03G-P4-2784-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe x16 3.0 Video Card

SKU 627612
$539.99

Specifications

Product Information SKU 627612 Mfr Part# 03G-P4-2784-KR UPC 843368024703

Chipset Form Factor Standard GPU

Manufacturer NVIDIA GPU

Chipset GeForce GTX 780

Number of GPUs 1

Overclocked Yes

Core Clock Speed 967MHz

Boost Core Clock Speed 1020MHz

RAMDAC Clock Speed 400MHz

CUDA Processors 2304

Texture Fill Rate 185.6GT/s

Maximum Digital Resolution 4096x2160

Maximum Analog Resolution 2048x1536

Max Monitors Supported 4

Max Monitors Supported 4

Maximum Refresh Rate 240Hz

Memory Video Memory 3072MB Memory Type GDDR5 Memory Clock Speed 1502MHz (6008MHz Effective) Memory Bus 384-bit Memory Bandwidth 288.38 GB/s Memory Speed 0.33ns

General OpenGL Support OpenGL 4.3 DirectX Support DirectX 11.1 Shader Model Support 5.0 NVIDIA SLI Support NVIDIA 3-Way SLI HDCP Support Yes 3D Ready Yes Cooling Fan

Features Features NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready; NVIDIA PhysX technology; NVIDIA CUDA Technology; NVIDIA SLI Technology;

Audio/Video Audio Playback 7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Input for HDMI Internal

Connectors DVI 1 x Dual-Link DVI-I 1 x Dual-Link DVI-D Dual Link DVI Support Yes HDMI 1 x HDMI DisplayPort Connectors (1) DisplayPort

System Requirements Supported Windows Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 Interface PCIe 3.0 x16

Thermal & Power Power Supply Requirements 600 Watt Power Supply (with 42A on the +12V Rail) Power Connectors (1) 8-pin PCI-E Power Connector and (1) 6-pin PCI-E Power Connector Maximum Graphics Card Power 250 Watts

Physical Specifications Height 4.37" Length 10.5" Width 1.5"

Package Contents What's in the Box Video Card, DVI to VGA Adapter, Power Cables, Driver Disc

Manufacturer Warranty Parts 3 Years Labor 3 Years

1. Go with Windows 7

3. Why not an H100i?

Windows 8 is better.

There's no point getting such an expensive cpu cooler when what you're doing is gaming.

Unless what you're doing is heavy and not exactly often, there's no point getting the i7 over the i5. 

Well, From what I know, the 4770k is only really used for video rendering and heavy editing, so I think you'd be fine with the 4670k, maybe use money on the GTX 780 instead then ? :)

And the Ram.. I'm not sure how much it affects just photo and video editing, as I've been doing fine doing some videos and photos for my family on an i5 2320 and 8Gb of 1600Mhz.

I'd say maybe just go for 8Gigs and then take some higher frequency, such as 1866 perhaps ?

I don't see why you're replacing your current cpu and getting more ram if it's already doing fine. I'd suggets just upgrading what you need which is most likely getting a ssd for your os, programs, and as a scratchdisk.

The speed of ram is probably going to be unnoticeable.

As this is my first build, I am very open to critiques.... I just need to understand why; I always thought that you would render more FPS with higher clock speeds.  Since they both have a Maximum Refresh Rate of 240Hz.  The only other factor in FPS should be the Texture fill rate, and you generally cant tell a difference in Texture Fill Rate 185.6GT/s and Texture Fill Rate 147.2GT/s can you?

You can't compare with specs alone. Look at benchmarks and you can see the performance difference. That being said, I don't think you'd need more than a 770 2GB for your uses.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Windows 8 is better.

There's no point getting such an expensive cpu cooler when what you're doing is gaming.

Unless what you're doing is heavy and not exactly often, there's no point getting the i7 over the i5. 

I don't see why you're replacing your current cpu and getting more ram if it's already doing fine. I'd suggets just upgrading what you need which is most likely getting a ssd for your os, programs, and as a scratchdisk.

The speed of ram is probably going to be unnoticeable.

You can't compare with specs alone. Look at benchmarks and you can see the performance difference. That being said, I don't think you'd need more than a 770 2GB for your uses.

Thanks ...... I actually have it built now.

I 'did' go with I7 4770K, the H100i, Windows 8, and the GTX 780

• 2 weeks later...

so thanks for the help everyone......

So I built it and this is what I came out with. (It's been built for about a week or so now.)

ASUS Z87 Pro ATX Intel Motherboard ~l~ Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Processor ~l~ EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 3072MB GDDR5 Video Card ~l~

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules) ~l~ Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ~l~ Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ~l~

Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply ~l~ NZXT Crafted Series Phantom 410 Mid Tower ATX - Black ~l~

Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ~l~ Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit