i need help with my 2 TB WD Drive

Ofir aviel

hi everyone!

i have an issue with my 2 TB Drive.

for quite some time i feel that windows starts to slow down (windows is on a sandisk SSD)

i tried scanning the disk to see if it had some bad sectors, and it showed that all of the sectors are bad (the drive is from 2016). somehow i said to myself lets change the SATA cable and see if it does anything, and it did showed the drive was good, but now it slowed down again, so i took my Ubuntu installation, and tried to run the benchmark using the disks program, and after 6 samples, i get 144.7 MB/s read average and after 5 samples 100.1 kB/s write average.

does anyone have an idea of whats going on with it?

thank you all in advance,

Ofir Aviel

Hi! Can you specify your Disk model? I would need more info to tell you whats wrong

Just now, Privatech said:

Hi! Can you specify your Disk model? I would need more info to tell you whats wrong

WD Red ( and yes, i know its for NAS Use)

Just now, Ofir aviel said:

WD Red ( and yes, i know its for NAS Use)

Windows is on SSD? If yes then please specify your SSD model.

Just now, Privatech said:

Windows is on SSD? If yes then please specify your SSD model.

yes, windows is on a 120 GB Sandisk PLUS SSD

Your HDD shouldnt impact on loading Windows.

Most people dont know this but SSDs are slower in case:

They have really low storage like 120GB or 240GB

Clean your HDD. after some time data on HDD will be scattered around the disc inside which means slow loading times. 

https://macpaw.com/how-to/how-to-make-computer-faster Use this to make your HDD faster. Defragment it and youll see better numbers.

You could also have downloaded malware without knowing.

1 minute ago, Privatech said:

Your HDD shouldnt impact on loading Windows.

Most people dont know this but SSDs are slower in case:

They have really low storage like 120GB or 240GB

Clean your HDD. after some time data on HDD will be scattered around the disc inside which means slow loading times. 

https://macpaw.com/how-to/how-to-make-computer-faster Use this to make your HDD faster. Defragment it and youll see better numbers.

You could also have downloaded malware without knowing.

One of the things I did, was I have my desktop saved to my OneDrive, and OneDrive is on my HDD, but it still does not explain why the disk is slow

Just now, Ofir aviel said:

One of the things I did, was I have my desktop saved to my OneDrive, and OneDrive is on my HDD, but it still does not explain why the disk is slow

Cheap SSDs have always been slow. Instead of spending 40 $ on a SSD spend 90$ or 100$. Also: DO NOT Defragment your SSD. It will permanently break it.

1 minute ago, Privatech said:

Cheap SSDs have always been slow. Instead of spending 40 $ on a SSD spend 90$ or 100$. Also: DO NOT Defragment your SSD. It will permanently break it.

I ment the HDD not the SSD

2 minutes ago, Ofir aviel said:

I ment the HDD not the SSD

As I said delete unsued programs and files. And then defragment it.

How full is the HDD? Unless it's almost full it's most likely failing, do NOT defrag it, just copy the important contents to another drive ASAP and replace it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

32 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

How full is the HDD? Unless it's almost full it's most likely failing, do NOT defrag it, just copy the important contents to another drive ASAP and replace it.

I would say it's almost full:

Screenshot_20190929-125107.png

OK so nowhere near full, I meant if you had less than 100MB free it would be normal for writes to slow down as it tries to find free sectors scattered across the drive.

So most likely dying drive.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

OK so nowhere near full, I meant if you had less than 100MB free it would be normal for writes to slow down as it tries to find free sectors scattered across the drive.

So most likely dying drive.

Well, if i try to check the free size in diskpart, it shows me this:

DISKPART> 
  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          111 GB      0 B        *
  Disk 1    Online         1863 GB  1024 KB        *

That just tells you there is no space that isn't used by a partition, which is perfectly normal. Nothing to do with how much is used on that partition.

F@H

GPD Win 2