Xbox 360 Controller for PC - How well does it work?

paulsterio

Hey guys, 

I currently have a gaming PC at a desk with a monitor, however, I recently got a 27" monitor on sale which I've set up at the end of my bed for watching movies and the like. I want to be able to play games on it, but I don't think a keyboard and mouse would work well in bed. 

Games I'm currently playing are Skyrim and Battlefield 4, though Assasin's Creed Black Flag is also one that I want to start. I also play some less serious games such as sports and racing simulators when I don't have much time, want to relax or just take a break from whatever else I'm doing. 

I just wanted to know whether an Xbox 360 controller would work well for those games on my PC, I'm not after THE BEST experience, of course it's not going to be as good as a keyboard and mouse, but will it provide an experience comparable to an Xbox on the games that I play? 

Cheers :)

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I use the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers on my computer all the time. They work just fine.  :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Use the controller for badly ported games like Dark Souls. In BF4 you'll be playing terribly as you don't have the same accuracy and reaction time compared to mouse/keyboard, though if you don't care about that, then sure go ahead:p 

I don't think any enthusiastic PC gamer should be without a controller. I use a Dualshock 4 myself, perfect for my platformers, (spectacle) fighters and driving games. The DS4 needs a little wrapper to work correctly, but 360 pads are just plug and play.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

i cant get my 360 controller to work with bf3 and bf4 and even if i was able to get it working im pretty sure it wouldnt have aim aid that consoles have that being said i prefer controller over keyboard and mouse and with wireless receiver it is perfect for lazy sundays where i play games on my bed

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hey guys, 

I currently have a gaming PC at a desk with a monitor, however, I recently got a 27" monitor on sale which I've set up at the end of my bed for watching movies and the like. I want to be able to play games on it, but I don't think a keyboard and mouse would work well in bed. 

Games I'm currently playing are Skyrim and Battlefield 4, though Assasin's Creed Black Flag is also one that I want to start. I also play some less serious games such as sports and racing simulators when I don't have much time, want to relax or just take a break from whatever else I'm doing. 

I just wanted to know whether an Xbox 360 controller would work well for those games on my PC, I'm not after THE BEST experience, of course it's not going to be as good as a keyboard and mouse, but will it provide an experience comparable to an Xbox on the games that I play? 

Cheers :)

It's great for Racing games, and games like Just cause 2

Go for it bro, try it out!

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Works great for games designed to work with it, especially console ports.

Alright everyone, you've all convinced me to splurge on yet another item for my PC. I'll get the Xbox 360 controller as it seems to just work with PC, so I'll report back on how that goes after a couple of more chill gaming sessions. 

I just invested in a mechanical keyboard today, Ducky Zero 104-key with Cherry MX Blue, I can't describe how much more amazing it is. Though maybe Cherry MX Brown would be better because everyone who walks past my room wants to check out what the noise is...

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I like the "couch experience" so hooked my gaming PC to my TV and use the 360 controller.  Feels just like playing an Xbox with most games.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I like the "couch experience" so hooked my gaming PC to my TV and use the 360 controller.  Feels just like playing an Xbox with most games.

yep I like that for certain games too.

it works fine. you can setup the buttons in game opitions.  i'm using razer sabertooth. works great.

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850

it works fine. you can setup the buttons in game opitions.  i'm using razer sabertooth. works great.

Love the sabertooth superior everything! o and quality and durability wise a huge improvement over the Onza TE

I use the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers on my computer all the time. They work just fine.  :)

^ This.

When its not FPS fast paced at all, ie: Racing, Platform, Third Person shooters at times I tend to whip out the Xbox controller and its better for Racing when you can relax laying around without sitting in your chair all the time.

Controllers usually have profiles for "most if not some" games, and others are just remapping in options.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Its pretty seamless nowadays. I play most of my PC games with a 360 controller. Even fps games when I play the single player. The only time I really play without a gamepad when I'm playing a game like CivV or Rise of Nations

Love the sabertooth superior everything! o and quality and durability wise a huge improvement over the Onza TE

i'm on my 2nd sabertooth. 1st sabertooth the left trigger was inputing when not pressing it.  My Onza TE did the samething after months of playing.

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850

i'm on my 2nd sabertooth. 1st sabertooth the left trigger was inputing when not pressing it.  My Onza TE did the samething after months of playing.

My Onza TE's just fell apart in my hands I think I RMAd one 5+ times getting a new one each time. The only problem I have had with my sabertooth on the other hand was that the cable popped out of the sleeving and kinked.

My Onza TE's just fell apart in my hands I think I RMAd one 5+ times getting a new one each time. The only problem I have had with my sabertooth on the other hand was that the cable popped out of the sleeving and kinked.

yea so far its been better the the Onza. I do like my xbox one controller too

I play farcry 3 tomb raider etc with it but shooters go back to keyboard and mouse 

works very nice with tomb raider and farcry  just pick up and play no need to adjust anything 

It works great for everything except multiplayer where it may be a disadvantage

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

I have the Xbox 360 wireless for windows and it is perfect.

Nothing to see here - move along.

yea so far its been better the the Onza. I do like my xbox one controller too

Razer announced it was the first official 3rd party company for the Xbox One so hopefully well be seeing a Sabertoooth v2.

I play farcry 3 tomb raider etc with it but shooters go back to keyboard and mouse 

works very nice with tomb raider and farcry  just pick up and play no need to adjust anything

Farcry 3's not a shooter?