Hyper 212 on RX 480?

Frog_

So I’ve seen a few videos and threads of people throwing CPU coolers on their graphics cards and I’m wondering if I could do the same. I’m planning on upgrading my CPU cooler to a D15 or U12a in preparation for a hotter cpu I may upgrade to, in the meantime, my reference 480 is obnoxiously loud if I want it not to throttle. So I’m thinking once I upgrade my cpu cooler and I just have this 212 lying around, i could use it to replace the stock blower cooler on my 480. Any ideas as to how I could/should go about this in a way that is least dangerous to the card and will work long ish term? I have a Define R6 so i dont think the space limitations would be an issue at all, mostly concerned about sagging on the card and mounting pressure. 
Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions!

You will never be throttle free.  The reference cards, even at max power limit, cant maintain the default "boost" frequencies.

I have the Sapphire RX 470 Platinum, built on the same PCB as the reference RX 480, and at 150% power I get throttling in some games with temps in the 60's/70's.  I put a heatpipe cooler on it from an old R7 270 with a high speed 120mm fan, got the temps even lower but was still bumping into the 150% power limit at stock clocks.

I get peaks up to 200w (as measured by the driver and displayed with GPU-z, not hardware measured) in Elite Dangerous at stock with just boosting the power limit to 200% through registry hacks.

I have a similar one on my i7 9700k, work just fine

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

I have a similar one on my i7 9700k, work just fine

You clearly didn't read the OP....

The thing with GPU coolers is that they don't just cover core. They handle other parts too. If you look at G10 from NZXT, that uses AIO for core, but also has active fan to keep other parts cool.

So first solution would be to change thermal paste on card. And then look if there are any 3rd party coolers worth time and money.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

The thing with GPU coolers is that they don't just cover core. They handle other parts too. If you look at G10 from NZXT, that uses AIO for core, but also has active fan to keep other parts cool.

So first solution would be to change thermal paste on card. And then look if there are any 3rd party coolers worth time and money.

oOH, i thought OP was talking exclusively for CPU cooling...My bad.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

8 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

You will never be throttle free.  The reference cards, even at max power limit, cant maintain the default "boost" frequencies.

I have the Sapphire RX 470 Platinum, built on the same PCB as the reference RX 480, and at 150% power I get throttling in some games with temps in the 60's/70's.  I put a heatpipe cooler on it from an old R7 270 with a high speed 120mm fan, got the temps even lower but was still bumping into the 150% power limit at stock clocks.

I get peaks up to 200w (as measured by the driver and displayed with GPU-z, not hardware measured) in Elite Dangerous at stock with just boosting the power limit to 200% through registry hacks.

I actually have managed to get throttle free settings, and actually a stable overclock on mine of about 17MHz! Its not a lot but its something. Just takes sounding like a turbine to get it to that point

6 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I also do have a spare corsair case fan for some reason so i could use that for vrm cooling since from what I’ve seen they dont require much

This is mostly to just extend the life of an already aging card, i’m not looking to spend any money on it exclusively for it. But if I end up with a spare cooler and it can work it would be lot nicer noise wise. 

mostly just trying to see if anyones tried something similar and if I can get a consistent method to mount the thing that wont hurt the card.

37 minutes ago, Frog_ said:

I actually have managed to get throttle free settings, and actually a stable overclock on mine of about 17MHz! Its not a lot but its something. Just takes sounding like a turbine to get it to that point

I also do have a spare corsair case fan for some reason so i could use that for vrm cooling since from what I’ve seen they dont require much

This is mostly to just extend the life of an already aging card, i’m not looking to spend any money on it exclusively for it. But if I end up with a spare cooler and it can work it would be lot nicer noise wise. 

mostly just trying to see if anyones tried something similar and if I can get a consistent method to mount the thing that wont hurt the card.

Changing paste will extend usage if anything. Another thing completely is how you will support weight of the cooler, but I assume that's something you already thought of.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Changing paste will extend usage if anything. Another thing completely is how you will support weight of the cooler, but I assume that's something you already thought of.

Yeah thats among the things I’m trying to figure out here. Curious if anyone on here had any experience. Though I suppose I’m of the minority on here thats real cheap since i dont quite have the time for a job between school and marching. May just end up trying to figure it out on my own.

1 minute ago, Frog_ said:

Yeah thats among the things I’m trying to figure out here. Curious if anyone on here had any experience. Though I suppose I’m of the minority on here thats real cheap since i dont quite have the time for a job between school and marching. May just end up trying to figure it out on my own.

You will have to make a mounting bracket and have something to support the cooler from the bottom of the case.

Cheap AIO coolers are popular for cheap GPU modding, you coun usually mount the block with zip ties.

2 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

You will have to make a mounting bracket and have something to support the cooler from the bottom of the case.

Cheap AIO coolers are popular for cheap GPU modding, you coun usually mount the block with zip ties.

Another thread I saw mentioned zip ties may stretch and lose pressure over time, but if it is a common thing then i wouldnt expect too many issues, thanks for the suggestion!

Are you sure the cooler would even fit in the case? The cooler is pretty tall and would probably block over every other pcie slot if it fits at all. An improper mount can potentially damage the card.

Cooling should be adequate if you can get a good mount but I'd recommend replacing the thermal paste first before trying anything else. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Fyi..

The YT channel DIYPERKS has done a CPU cooler on a GPU twice..

A 212+ and a D15 system.

Worth checking out, great looking videos.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 9/30/2019 at 1:44 AM, SkilledRebuilds said:

Fyi..

The YT channel DIYPERKS has done a CPU cooler on a GPU twice..

A 212+ and a D15 system.

Worth checking out, great looking videos.

I did see those videos! Though the 212 was on a way less power hungry card and a d15 is just not a fair comparison. Definitely were worth checking out though!

On 9/30/2019 at 1:30 AM, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure the cooler would even fit in the case? The cooler is pretty tall and would probably block over every other pcie slot if it fits at all. An improper mount can potentially damage the card.

Cooling should be adequate if you can get a good mount but I'd recommend replacing the thermal paste first before trying anything else. 

It will almost certainly fit in the case, definitely blocking the other pcie lanes however that’s hardly an issue seeing as i have no other pcie devices. And trust me when i say replacing the thermal paste would be good, but not really enough for any gains noise wise. I got pretty awful silicon, an older chip, first generation in its architecture, and a blower cooler. The Reference rx480 is not known for being cool or quiet in the slightest. Will definitely try just the paste first though.

14 minutes ago, Frog_ said:

I did see those videos! Though the 212 was on a way less power hungry card and a d15 is just not a fair comparison. Definitely were worth checking out though!

Unless I missed a video, it was never a Hyper 212+. It was a Fenrir Evo if you're referring to this video.

The fans were running at minimum rpm though. A Hyper 212+ should be plenty for any gpu. 

11 minutes ago, Frog_ said:

It will almost certainly fit in the case, definitely blocking the other pcie lanes however that’s hardly an issue seeing as i have no other pcie devices. 

Have you measured? The cooler is 158mm tall and that seems like it might rest directly on top of the psu if it does fit. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Unless I missed a video, it was never a Hyper 212+. It was a Fenrir Evo if you're referring to this video.

It was me who made that claim incorrectly,.. apologies peeps.

Cheers for clearing it up with the right Cooler model.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz