M.2 SSD - No drive detected on initial bootup - can boot to it from Bios menu

FreakyAlleyCat

Hi everyone,

i'm running into a weird problem: I recently upgraded my boot drive to a Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe 1 TB SSD.

Besides that there's a Samsung 860 Evo SSD connected via Sata inside the system.

Most of the time - yet not always - I get this screen when I first boot up my machine in the morning. It stays like that until I enter the Bios:

20190923_185752_copy.thumb.jpg.7ce59a1eb33a04e7ca781e965da5def6.jpg

So i press F1 and enter the Bios only to find all of my drives detected perfectly fine:

20190923_185814_copy.thumb.jpg.8a3df3a6a5d29a8a3d9457f868deaa62.jpg

When I leave the Bios without making any changes, the machine will boot up to my M.2 Drive without a problem. Also the problem never occurs when doing a restart from Windows.

The Bios and SSD Firmware is up to date. I have no idea what could be the issue. Can anybody help me on this one?

Sincerely,

FreakyAlleyCat

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I found a solution to this. I'll post the fix here, in case anyone encounters this thread searching for a solution:

I replaced the cmos battery on my mainboard. It seems like the battery was empty, so the mainboard kept forgetting all the changes made to the bios whenever i switched off the power socket overnight. In my case the important changes made to the bios were setting the Sata 5&6 lanes to "M.2" and the boot order, wich also explains why i could always boot to the correct drive from bios. So new battery, fix bios settings, problem gone, awesome!