Remote Access Security

TechMarc

Good evening!

on my esxi host there is a vm which i want to access via remote. No Problem.

My Question now is, if there is any 2 factor auth possible. Like you get smth like a code on your phone after you put in your username + pw.

I dont want to use RDS and WinServer. It would be best if i could use basic windows 10 Pro

Do you guys know any solution ?

(Sorry for my bad english :( )

If your using Remote Desktop use DUO I think you get like 2 free users or something like that.

Although Remote desktop isn't really the best for remote access over the internet it is very insecure and there are a tone of bots that scan the internet for open RDP. Even if you change port numbers. I don't know there are vulnerabilities that can bypass the two factor.

@TechMarc

2FA is actually not supported out of the box on RDP. There are some paid solutions though like DUO 2FA. If you want a free and more secure solution you might want to setup openVPN server and combine it with Google Authenticater to connect to your local network. When connected you will start a RDP session.

RDP open to the internet is a bad idea because of the reasons @Catsrules already gave.

2 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

@TechMarc

2FA is actually not supported out of the box on RDP. There are some paid solutions though like DUO 2FA. If you want a free and more secure solution you might want to setup openVPN server and combine it with Google Authenticater to connect to your local network. When connected you will start a RDP session.

RDP open to the internet is a bad idea because of the reasons @Catsrules already gave.

i already have an opnevpn server. but i never heard of 2FA via Google Auth. Souds quit good. ATM im using openvpn with userspecific configs

16 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

@TechMarc

well 2fa has native support with smart cards in windows.

But yea, id go rds or vpn if you can RDP has had way to many secuirty issues to make it public for me.