TV screen going black while in-game.

ArchyP

I have recently built a new rig about 5 days ago. I have it hooked up to my 55" TV but often my TV screen goes black when I'm in game, I can still hear game sounds coming from the TV but in order to recover vision I have to switch my hdmi inputs inorder to fix it (my pc is connected to hdmi input 3 and I have a decoder in hdmi 2, so I have to switch from 3 to 2 then back to 3). It has happened 3-4 times today. Does anyone have anyidea what's wrong?

Pc specs:
Gtx 1660 ti
i5-9600k
Gigabyte z390 ud
650v psu from Corsair
16 GB Corsair vengeance ram

A few questions: does that happen only when you're gaming? Have you monitored your GPU temperatures while under load? Are you overclocking your graphics card?

I assume your VGA only has one HDMI input, but if it has more, try switching inputs in it too. Also, try using a different HDMI cable or another input type (DVI or Displayport) if your TV supports any of them. If that doesn't change the situation, try removing and reinserting your graphics card in the motherboard PCI-e slot. In addition, run a stress test application like Furmark to see how your graphics card behaves under sustained load and if it does the same thing then.

Moonstone -- MSI B450 Tomahawk Ryzen 5 3600 Gigabyte RTX 2060 G. OC Pro 6GB • 16GB HyperX Fury Black  Corsair CX550M • Aerocool Cylon

Peripherals: Dell P2719H 27'' @ 1080p + Acer VA270H 27'' @ 1080p • Redragon Mitra RGB Red Switch  Superlux HD681 • Logitech Z207

Storage: WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD + Kingston A400 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Rebound 95 -- PC Chips M519 Socket 7 AT Mobo • Pentium P54C 100Mhz • Cirrus Logic GD3454 1MB GPU • Creative L. Sound Blaster 16 CT2950 • 8MB of RAM

(Check my albums for pictures of the systems)

13 minutes ago, Bloody-George said:

A few questions: does that happen only when you're gaming? Have you monitored your GPU temperatures while under load? Are you overclocking your graphics card?

I assume your VGA only has one HDMI input, but if it has more, try switching inputs in it too. Also, try using a different HDMI cable or another input type (DVI or Displayport) if your TV supports any of them. If that doesn't change the situation, try removing and reinserting your graphics card in the motherboard PCI-e slot. In addition, run a stress test application like Furmark to see how your graphics card behaves under sustained load and if it does the same thing then.

It's only happend when gaming as of what iv seen. My gpu isn't overclocked and the temperatures are normal not alarming in the slightest.

Also what do u mean by "VGA only has one hdmi input" ? Did u mean to say my gpu only has one hdmi input?

I will try swapping cables and reinserting my gpu soon and update you

2 minutes ago, ArchyP said:

Also what do u mean by "VGA only has one hdmi input" ? Did u mean to say my gpu only has one hdmi input?

Yes, that's what I meant. Modern graphics cards usually have only one HDMI input.

Try those actions first and come back with results. Stress your GPU - with gaming or Furmark - to see if the pattern continues.

Moonstone -- MSI B450 Tomahawk Ryzen 5 3600 Gigabyte RTX 2060 G. OC Pro 6GB • 16GB HyperX Fury Black  Corsair CX550M • Aerocool Cylon

Peripherals: Dell P2719H 27'' @ 1080p + Acer VA270H 27'' @ 1080p • Redragon Mitra RGB Red Switch  Superlux HD681 • Logitech Z207

Storage: WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD + Kingston A400 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Rebound 95 -- PC Chips M519 Socket 7 AT Mobo • Pentium P54C 100Mhz • Cirrus Logic GD3454 1MB GPU • Creative L. Sound Blaster 16 CT2950 • 8MB of RAM

15 hours ago, Bloody-George said:

Yes, that's what I meant. Modern graphics cards usually have only one HDMI input.

Try those actions first and come back with results. Stress your GPU - with gaming or Furmark - to see if the pattern continues.

Today when I booted up my computer the TV would not show a display but registers that there was a signal, I switched the cable toe a diffenr port and then back and the again to a different port but it would still not work. Then after a few seconds it automatically showed me my lock screen so I have left it in the HDMI port where it got a display .

I shall play now and keep you updated if the issue occurs again.

6 hours ago, ArchyP said:

Today when I booted up my computer the TV would not show a display but registers that there was a signal, I switched the cable toe a diffenr port and then back and the again to a different port but it would still not work. Then after a few seconds it automatically showed me my lock screen so I have left it in the HDMI port where it got a display .

I shall play now and keep you updated if the issue occurs again.

If you can get another monitor/TV to test your VGA on, that'd be good as well. Check with a friend or family member; I think you can easily find a display that has an HDMI input.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:12 PM, Bloody-George said:

If you can get another monitor/TV to test your VGA on, that'd be good as well. Check with a friend or family member; I think you can easily find a display that has an HDMI input.

Ah yes I have orderd a new monitor which is to come in about 10 days but for now as of the past 2 days I have not experienced the issue after changing the HDMI port on my TV so I guess it may have been the TV's HDMI port that was faulty? But I will test with the new monitor and update u on the results. Ty 

On 9/30/2019 at 5:11 AM, ArchyP said:

Ah yes I have orderd a new monitor which is to come in about 10 days but for now as of the past 2 days I have not experienced the issue after changing the HDMI port on my TV so I guess it may have been the TV's HDMI port that was faulty? But I will test with the new monitor and update u on the results. Ty 

Nice to hear that! Issues with electronics sometimes come and go in those strange, unknown ways. Once in a while, connectivity in some ports is a bit iffy but comes back to normal. It's good to know that the problem you had was one of those.