Any reason not to use 240hz monitor on a ps4?

zsfv

Hi, I have a ps4 pro and am planning on buliding a gaming pc. Is there any reason not to use 240hz monitor on a ps4? I am trying not to use dual monitor setup for the pc and ps4 due to budget constraint. Any input is appreciated. Thank you very much.

If you were only going to use the screen for PS4 pro and nothing else, then it would be absolute overkill considering that consoles don't reach anything higher than 60hz (from what I know). However, since you're using it with a pc as well it should be fine.

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

I forgot to add, my personal suggestion is to use HDMI for consoles and use displayport for your PC.

1. this allows easy source switching without having to buy extra HDMI switcher units
  2. This allows the PC to take advantage of the full 240hz, as well as freesync/gsync if its supported

Quote this or use @BaconLord222 if you want a reply

PC Specs

Main Desktop

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

CPU Cooler - Stock Wraith Spire thing lol

Mobo - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8GB

RAM - Team T-Force Dark 16gb (2x8gb) 3200MHz DDR4

Storage - Corsair Force Series Mp510 240gb

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HDD

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P300

O/S - Windows 10 Home 64bit

Thanks for the reply. I am worried because there's someone on reddit that said he purchased Benq Zowie XL2546 only to find out that on ps4 pro it is practically unplayable. The image is laggy and choppy. I don't know if this is caused by ps4 running at 60hz natively and the monitor running at 240hz natively.

14 minutes ago, zsfv said:

It's just going to downclock to 60hz, dunno why it would cause issues.

What's the budget/country for your PC and what peripherals do you need?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

every monitor i have owned recently has been able to switch frequencies. I have an old one that has settings for 50 and 60hz. My current samsung has buttons to switch presets so its easy to switch between 144hz and 60hz.

58 minutes ago, Augustin said:

every monitor i have owned recently has been able to switch frequencies. I have an old one that has settings for 50 and 60hz. My current samsung has buttons to switch presets so its easy to switch between 144hz and 60hz.

That's cool I actually am trying to find if either Asus XG258q or Aorus KD25F has that switch feature too.

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

It's just going to downclock to 60hz, dunno why it would cause issues.

What's the budget/country for your PC and what peripherals do you need?

I am from Indonesia, the usd convert rate sucks balls here lol. I am currently comparing between Asus XG258q and Aorus KD25F. Planning to build Ryzen 3600 with RTX 2070 super 16GB ram trying to get apex legends as close to 240fps as possible on low settings 1080p

11 minutes ago, zsfv said:

How much cheaper is an RX 5700? As it's not that much of a slower card maybe 15% and in the US at least it's half the price.

But even a 9900K can't hit 240fps in the wide open areas going by this low benchmark. Ryzen 3000 would be maybe 10% slower unless apex legends scales with RAM speeds well on Ryzen.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

How much cheaper is an RX 5700? As it's not that much of a slower card maybe 15% and in the US at least it's half the price.

But even a 9900K can't hit 240fps in the wide open areas going by this low benchmark. Ryzen 3000 would be maybe 10% slower unless apex legends scales with RAM speeds well on Ryzen.

I'ts about 100 usd cheaper here. Do i need to lower my expectation and opt for 144hz monitor instead?

8 minutes ago, zsfv said:

I'ts about 100 usd cheaper here. Do i need to lower my expectation and opt for 144hz monitor instead?

Just get the 2070 or 2070 super then. Or maybe a used 1080ti if that happens to be cheaper or the same price. as that's the same as the RTX 2080 basically.

If you play like CS:GO or some other games that will run at 300fps it'll be worth it.

Otherwise ya 144hz is going to be fine anyways. Or maybe go for a 1440p 100hz Ultra wide for the best of everything, they're also cheap in the US anyways.

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just get the 2070 or 2070 super then. Or maybe a used 1080ti if that happens to be cheaper or the same price. as that's the same as the RTX 2080 basically.

If you play like CS:GO or some other games that will run at 300fps it'll be worth it.

Otherwise ya 144hz is going to be fine anyways. Or maybe go for a 1440p 100hz Ultra wide for the best of everything, they're also cheap in the US anyways.

alright thanks for the input

8 hours ago, zsfv said:

Hi, I have a ps4 pro and am planning on buliding a gaming pc. Is there any reason not to use 240hz monitor on a ps4? I am trying not to use dual monitor setup for the pc and ps4 due to budget constraint. Any input is appreciated. Thank you very much.

it will run fine .. but ofc the PS4 wont come close to utilizing the higher refresh rate.

That being said, you will notice the lower picture quality vs say a good TV.

240hz monitors have truly terrible image quality, sacrificign that quality for speed.

Due to consoles limitations its a better idea to use a display with a higher picture quality rather than being 'fast'.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |