GRrrr Lock Ups!

RickL

Hi wonderful people,

I have a problem with my new rig, the build is listed below.

Since I built it a few weeks ago it has been a little temperamental, I put it down to airflow and overheating so I installed a Corsair closed loop watercooler for the CPU and an additional fan to get some airflow over the chipset and NVME drive.

The CPU according to Ryzen Master now sits at 50-60c, but  "Core Temp" seems to think its sat at 60-70c. The chipset, NVMe etc sit at 45-55c.

So my issues are random crashes of progams, Discord client LOVES to lock up and crash on me, so I changed to using the web based version in Chrome, then that started to lock up.

For what is a brand new build with genuine software etc, I cannot understand why I am having these issues. I have not updated the BIOS on the motherboard as it states it has a May '19 driver. Also, I run / ran my keyboard, headset and mouse from a small USB dock as to keep all my cables neat but the head set after 2 weeks, keeps on disconnecting. When I start the PC there is a horrible noise that comes from the headphones so I am having to unplug and re-plug it in. Finally tonight I have taken the headset out of the dock and plugged it in directly. So far after a few hours, no issue of D/C'ing. Also, I can game on it just fine, it doesnt block up. Its behaving very strange...

So what do you guys think? Any advice?

Windows 10 64-Bit Home

Ryzen 5 3600 with Corsair H60

16GB Vengance 3000mhz RAM

13 minutes ago, RickL said:

Any advice?

Are you overclocking anything? If so, turn that shit off

Are you using XMP? If so, turn that shit off.

Have you tested your RAM with MemTest86+? If not, do so, that will start the troubleshooting process.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Does only the Discord client have these issues or did you also already experience lock-ups while doing other things?

3 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

Does only the Discord client have these issues or did you also already experience lock-ups while doing other things?

It happened with world of warships once, now its started doing it with Chrome.

37 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you overclocking anything? If so, turn that shit off

Are you using XMP? If so, turn that shit off.

Have you tested your RAM with MemTest86+? If not, do so, that will start the troubleshooting process.

I thought that, overlocking or the MoBo playing around with the CPU as it had happened to a friend but.... nope, this is stock.

Just re-booted and XMP was DISABLED... However, I noticed that it was running my RAM at 2100mhz or so, so flicked XMP to profile 1 auto and its auto set it to 3000mhz, the correct speed for the RAM.

No, I have not yet tested it. I'll do it now but already just after a reboot and Discord not crashing.. YET, could it have been the RAM settings?

I'll report back shortly.

2 hours ago, RickL said:

YET, could it have been the RAM settings?

From what I have read here, and elsewhere, XMP causes more issues than it solves, and apparently (I can't speak about this, I use Xeons only) AMD CPUs are picky about both RAM and their speed

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

From what I have read here, and elsewhere, XMP causes more issues than it solves, and apparently (I can't speak about this, I use Xeons only) AMD CPUs are picky about both RAM and their speed

Soooo XMP is off again now, didnt resolve anything. 

Currently manually clocked to 3000mhz now, maybe that could resolve it?

1 minute ago, RickL said:

Currently manually clocked to 3000mhz now, maybe that could resolve it?

If it boots and behaves, then good with that. If it goes dumb, (and Memtest says everything is ok) then lower the clock until it plays nice

F**king thing. Locked up randomly tonight, so entered Ryzen Master program and forced everything to default, I believe it was anyways.

The discord locked up. But now it seems fine? What on earth is going on.

So, I went back to basics tonight and re-installed a fresh copy of windows, so far all appears well.

Currently im thinking it may have been all of the software that I was installing along the way that interacts with the motherboard etc. Ryzen Master, MSI Afterburner, AMD Radeon software (required for drivers), Crystal disk, all the bench-marking and monitoring software.

Fingers crossed.

Hi All,

A fresh copy of windows did indeed work to resolve all my lock up issues. Thank you all for your suggestions :)