Planned Upgrade of Old PC

ExESGO

So currently I'm planning to upgrade my old computer.

I plan on carrying over some parts like my graphics card (GTX 1080) and PSU (Corsair AX760i) to my new rig and I have 2 questions related to that, and 2 not so....

1. Will the graphic card bottleneck the new Ryzen 3900x (I think it shouldn't, but who knows?)?

2. Do you peeps think I need to get a new PSU? I heard from some people that PSUs can practically last forever particularly the good ones, but I need some more opinions on it. It's currently a 6 year old one. I do keep it clean to the best of my abilities and I think it hasn't had any corrosion from the humid tropical weather of my country (its in an aircoditioned room anyways). Pins and connectors haven't really changed also right? I still also have my bag of goodies with me.

3. Anyone have a good motherboard recommendations? I'm thing the ASUS TUF X570.

4. Cooler recommendations? I run an AIO but I want to switch to air for longevity sake. Noctua sounds great, but the models are currently dizzying me (along with the fans).

12 minutes ago, ExESGO said:

Should probably replace the old power supply.

Unless you really need 12 cores just get the 3700X.

The TUF board or GIgabyte elite are both fine

Just check the motherboard memory support list and maybe go for 3600mhz RAM.

Go for a scythe fuma 2, cheap dual tower.

Your CPU bottlenecks your refresh rate/max fps, your GPU bottlenecks your resolution or quality settings.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Hello,

What will it be used for ? And what is your location ? And the budget ?

1. No idea but it would be a margin i think since the 1080 is around the 2060S/2070 performance wise.

2. AXi serie is a really good PSU, you should change it for a newer one though.

3. I would personnaly go for the Aorus Elite or better (pro and ultra) but the one you chose is good to go too.

4. The bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Noctua NH D15. If you don't plan to OC, the cooler included with the 3900x is good too.

You would also need new rams at least 16Gb at 3200mhz, 3600mhz if possible.

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Snip

The chip choice was a "because I can" pick, but I was flipping between the 3700x or 3900x. For sanity reason though I do consider the 3700x my best bet, but if its not available and some how the 3900x is (because a cheaper product would sell out faster and limited stocks in local stores), then I go with that.

It's also a more nice to have rather than a need considering my line of work.

Thanks on the RAM thing!

14 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Snip

It's an anything under the sun thing, I'm a designer by profession, so I do a lot of things and well I like my games to be shiny again. Budget is very open. Philippines, so you can see why certain things will depend on availability (and if the more expensive one is available, then I'm going with that). 

On the PSU, might keep it for a bit, then probably buy a new one, or I'll buy a new whatever its current version is. I sorta dont want to waste a Plat 80 PSU yet hahaha.

I might OC in the future when I get to feel like doing it, but who knows I might keep it stock forever because I'm too lazy.

Thanks also on the RAM thing!

Just now, ExESGO said:

The chip choice was a "because I can" pick, but I was flipping between the 3700x or 3900x. For sanity reason though I do consider the 3700x my best bet, but if its not available and some how the 3900x is (because a cheaper product would sell out faster and limited stocks in local stores), then I go with that.

wait a minute. 

will you step away and never look back once you build the pc?

coz the ryzen newer gens can be so attractive at much lower price. just look back at the price diff of zen 1~2 high end chips. 

PCP is not available for the Philippines market so I used USD (maybe Singapore would be better ?).

This one would be higher end.

7 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

wait a minute. 

will you step away and never look back once you build the pc?

coz the ryzen newer gens can be so attractive at much lower price. just look back at the price diff of zen 1~2 high end chips. 

Generally yea.

I did that 6 years ago I'm going to do that again.

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

PCP is not available for the Philippines market so I used USD (maybe Singapore would be better ?).

This one would be higher end.

Thanks for the part list! Although I'm trying to avoid shipping stuff from outside the country. My country's customs have very big eyes on pricey items and there has even been a stupid memo from our anti-piracy agency stating all memory will need declaration in advance. Okay RAM isn't, but the people in customs don't know any better and will hold the item because "memory", "GB", etc. is in the item name.

It was to give you some idea of the build to be honest, I had no idea that it is that strict in your country.  ?

Depending of the state of your market maybe you'll need to go for a 3700x which is still pretty good and has the same cooler as the 3900x, so no need for aftermarket CPU cooler and it will allow some light OC.

Same for the rams, I throw in some 2x8Gb 3600mhz CL18 in there too but maybe you'll have CL19 instead (not much cheaper though) from a different brand but they are usually all good. Maybe the 3200mhz will be available and obviously cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

It was to give you some idea of the build to be honest, I had no idea that it is that strict in your country.  ?

Depending of the state of your market maybe you'll need to go for a 3700x which is still pretty good and has the same cooler as the 3900x, so no need for aftermarket CPU cooler and it will allow some light OC.

Same for the rams, I throw in some 2x8Gb 3600mhz CL18 in there too but maybe you'll have CL19 instead (not much cheaper though) from a different brand but they are usually all good. Maybe the 3200mhz will be available and obviously cheaper.

There seem to be some CL19s occasionally in stock in a local store I love to go to. I just browse their online price list, but as it says its not an availability list. They do though try their best to keep things in stock.

I'm not going to be surprise though if the G.Skills Trident CL19 kit gets sold out very fast often. I should probably put a reservation on some parts.

https://awesome-table.com/-KrkkVbKZR_HZ2x8lsHk/view

Oh also planning to upgrade in December, so I'm going to press F very hard.

4 minutes ago, ExESGO said:

There seem to be some CL19s occasionally in stock in a local store I love to go to. I just browse their online price list, but as it says its not an availability list. They do though try their best to keep things in stock.

I'm not going to be surprise though if the G.Skills Trident CL19 kit gets sold out very fast often. I should probably put a reservation on some parts.

https://awesome-table.com/-KrkkVbKZR_HZ2x8lsHk/view

Just get the cheaper one that you find at 3600 CL18/19 whatever the brand.

40 minutes ago, ExESGO said:

It's an anything under the sun thing, I'm a designer by profession, so I do a lot of things and well I like my games to be shiny again. Budget is very open. Philippines, so you can see why certain things will depend on availability (and if the more expensive one is available, then I'm going with that). 

I forgot to ask but, do you design at home too ? If so the 3900x would be better for both design and gaming since your budget is open.

4 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Just get the cheaper one that you find at 3600 CL18/19 whatever the brand.

I forgot to ask but, do you design at home too ? If so the 3900x would be better for both design and gaming since your budget is open.

Advertising has 0 respect of time. HAHAHA