My PC is crashing whenever I try to run anything even kinda demanding (Cinebench, games, etc.)

Piemann1232

It's not consistent but i wanted to see if I could get advice here. For example I ran Fortnite for hours and was fine but I stop playing and come back (leaving my PC running) and it will have crashed. The last crash i literally booted it up and tried to open Cinebench (something I have done fine before) and it just stopped running. Any ideas what it might be? My first couple guesses would be CPU temp. or maybe Corsair iCUE. I think it's CPU related though. Here are my specs: CPU Ryzen 1700x (under clocked to 3.0GHz) cooled with a Wraith Stealth (it's under clocked bc of the CPU cooler) GTX 1080, 16GB of DDR4 3200 MHz Ram (Corsair Vengeance RGB pro), all on a ROG STRIX X-370 F GAMING MOBO. Temps rarely go over 70C but it will still crash. I've tested at 3.4 GHz and 3.2 GHz and 3.0 GHz. All of them eventually crash. When I ran Cinebench at 3.4 GHz the temps got around 80C but didn't crash the first time. Then, I ran it again and it crashed. Again, I can play Fortnite for hours at the 3.0 GHz setting and be fine. But, I open up Batman: Arkham Night and it crashes. I have a feeling its iCUE but have no proof other than when it crashes the lights on my keyboard mouse and ram freeze. But, IDK if that matters. Any help?

This seems to me as it could be a Power supply thing. What PSU do you have?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 minute ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Corsair CSM 650 W

3 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I bought it online open box but brand new. The plastic peel wasn't even pulled off. Cables were in there twist-ties etc.

If you also reduced voltage when you underclocked, you dropped voltage too far.

3200 RAM can also be a problem on 1st gen ryzen.  Try dropping to 2933 instead.

I have a similar issue, playing bl3 and screen would go black and monitor lost signal to display port. Now it don't even post it turns on and the fans just spin. I know the psu is a bit old, the only thing that hasn't been changed out for a good 5 years.

Intel I7 8700k

16gb ddr4 ram

Gtx 1070 sc

Asus Z-170A

2tb hhd

500gb hdd

8 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

If you also reduced voltage when you underclocked, you dropped voltage too far.

3200 RAM can also be a problem on 1st gen ryzen.  Try dropping to 2933 instead.

I didn't touch the voltage just the clock. Also, i will try the RAM speed dropping.