Should you spend extra on a higher end CPU to future proof your system?

Thready

Should you spend extra on a CPU to futureproof your rig?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should you buy a Ryzen 7 or i7 to future proof your rig?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, 5x5 said:

How exactly am I biased? Because you don't like the facts that I am stating? The 8700K is a 50% uplift compared to the 7700K. The i5 9600K is also more powerful. And considering the time span, 7700K users got future proofed into oblivion

It is 50% in a very small number of applications. If I load up a game on the 7700k and 8700k, am I going to get 100 FPS on one and 150fps on the other? No! That’s because not every application has uniform use of cores. Even on assassin creed origins (a heavily cpu dependent game), the 7700k is within ~5 FPS of the 9700k (a cpu by your assertion that should be twice as capable). If you’re a 3D renderer or spend all day editing videos, then yes the 7700k was a lot worse than the 8700k. On the other hand, if you’re an average PC gamer you’d be hard pressed to spot the difference between a 7700k and a 9700k. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

Buy what you need overspending rarely pays off. It all comes down to the laws of diminishing returns.

whoever can "overspend" is because yes we can

3 minutes ago, Andrew 1337 said:

I don't understand what you are saying.

i mean they arent on a tight budget & more they spend just give them more comfort zone, mentally.