My laptop is not turning on. Shuts down if it turns on.

Hey everyone

Today i took out my old laptop which is used for living room htpc. But it was turned off for 2 weeks because no one used it for two weeks. Now a new problem persisted. My laptop just randomly shuts down. At first boot after a long time it turned on and showed the lights and the splash screen but turned off immediately and didn't turn back on. Then i power cycled it for two hours, Still same problem. Then i removed the battery and reseeded it to its slot and it turned on fine to the windows. I launched MINECRAFT ( cuz its an old laptop and can't handle any modern games ) it ran fine until it turned off again. Then i turned it on without the battery, it turned on but it turned off at login screen. So i was running OCCT stress test(CPU and RAM) and after few minutes, it still turned  off.

So guys please help me in this situation. It is the only htpc we have and no plans to change or upgrade it. I'm using my own gaming pc for streaming netflix and youtube on our tv. I can't use my own pc as a htpc for my family. Cause i too have to play with my friends??

Ok for the specs for that laptop

Its a Lenovo thinkpad Sl400

Intel core 2 duo T6670

4GB ram

300gb hdd

Integrated graphics

Windows 10 pro 64bit

So plz help me in this situation

If the laptop is plugged in 24/7 to the charger cable the Battery and DJ Jack could be having issues. Does it ever actually boot into windows or no?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

So you ruled out the battery (my first hunch), and likely the charger (my second), what are your temps? Can you check them? This sounds consistent with what may be a CPU or other component overheating.

49 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If the laptop is plugged in 24/7 to the charger cable the Battery and DJ Jack could be having issues. Does it ever actually boot into windows or no?

I unplug everything everytime i use it except keyboard and mouse. And it sometimes boot into windows before turning off otherwise it force turns off in the splash or windows boot screen.

48 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

So you ruled out the battery (my first hunch), and likely the charger (my second), what are your temps? Can you check them? This sounds consistent with what may be a CPU or other component overheating.

It is 59 to 60 degrees celsius whether it is on battery or charger. It turns off even in splash or boot screen and sometimes doesn't turn on at all

1 minute ago, AKSHAYROG said:

I unplug everything everytime i use it except keyboard and mouse. And it sometimes boot into windows before turning off otherwise it force turns off in the splash or windows boot screen.

It sounds like a motherboard issue to me. If the computer abruptly shuts off with and without the battery while plugged into the charger that means it's having some sort of power control issue. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, AKSHAYROG said:

It is 59 to 60 degrees celsius whether it is on battery or charger. It turns off even in splash or boot screen and sometimes doesn't turn on at all

Great, a very intermittent issue with no clear cause.

I have a old HP laptop with a somewhat similar issue. It'll behave fine for days, weeks, or even months, then out of nowhere it'll behave like yours where it'll shutdown spontaneously (expect in my case I'll never even reach the splash screen just *turn on - fan spin* black screen *boop - turns off*). The "fix" that I found was to unplug both wall and battery power then leave it alone overnight. By morning it behaves normally again.

This tells me it probably has something to do with capacitors & other board circuity. Something not easily fixable. I'm afraid you may have the same issue but not exactly as bad. You can try my "fix" and see if it helps.

20 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

it'll behave like yours where it'll shutdown spontaneously (expect in my case I'll never even reach the splash screen just *turn on - fan spin* black screen *boop - turns off*). The "fix" that I found was to unplug both wall and battery power then leave it alone overnight. 

My laptop too spontaneously shuts down, and never turns back on unless i reseed the battery or the charger.

And i'll try your fix tonight(its already night in India).

Btw thanks

20 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

It sounds like a motherboard issue to me. If the computer abruptly shuts off with and without the battery while plugged into the charger that means it's having some sort of power control issue. 

Maybe. My uncle works for Lenovo(he gave that laptop to me 2 years ago to use it as htpc) and i'll ask him to fix if it is a motherboard issue. Once it lost sound output in the same laptop and my uncle suggested me to do a clean windows install and it worked. 

1 hour ago, AKSHAYROG said:

My laptop too spontaneously shuts down, and never turns back on unless i reseed the battery or the charger.

And i'll try your fix tonight(its already night in India).

Btw thanks

Oh, I forgot to mention. Sometimes it won't respond to the power button being pressed at all. Battery & wall power makes no difference. Again unplug it overnight and all of a sudden it's fine again. Does that also describe your problem or would that be too dis-similar?