RX 5700, CUDA, Screen Capture Software, Tessellation, etc...

Hi,

I am building a Ryzen 5 3600 - RX 5700 XT system.

I am upgrading from an i5 7400 - GTX 1060.

I have opted for AMD because, as far as I can tell, as of now, AMD seems (seems? nay, it is!) objectively better than Intel - Nvidia.

Having said that, I am somewhat worried about AMD cards' compatibility with software, and how much their performance is likely to suffer due to software limitations;

It was not that long ago that AMD cards were being crippled, in software (Blender, Adobe products) due to their lack of CUDA cores, and how gaming benchmarks were geared towards Nvidia with the abuse of tessellation.

I will be using this computer for work in Blender (creating assets, baking textures), Unreal Engine (level design), screen capture, video editing, and gaming.

So I need all of these fronts covered.

Until now, my go-to screen-recording software has been Nvidia Shadowplay. I was especially fond of its Instant Replay Feature. Does AMD have anything comparable to Nvidia Shadowplay (free, non-taxing on the system, instant-replay)?

Blender has been known to prefer CUDA, but I've noticed that lately it's been less biased against AMD's equivalent. But has all "bias" been eliminated?

How about Adobe Premiere and/or After Effects? (I'm not counting Photoshop because it is not that demanding).

Have recent games been known to have exclusive Nvidia features, such as tessellation and/or the Nvidia Features in Batman: Arkham Knight?

Thanks,

Katarn

For nvidia shadowplay, yes! There is an AMD equivalent called AMD ReLive.

I think it also does the instant-replay thing, not sure about that.

But I am sure that it is free and it does not tax the system because it uses the hardware encoder.

The next big thing from Nvidia is the whole RTX story, but there are like 6 games that support it? I dunno but it's not a lot and adoption of it in games is going REALLY slow.

DLSS is probably dead. AMD countered that with a image sharpening filter and Nvidia basically went the same route so DLSS is being replaced by a less taxing alternative so it's basically pointless now.

I have no clue about professional stuff tho.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That is good news, @samcool55

I was curious about 3D gaming as well, and I see that it might be a bit more convenient than Nvidia's "pay an additional $50 if you want a feature that came with your card when you bought it for a software that might not even work and we won't be updating anymore." [that was a long rant, but an important one]

The next big thing from Nvidia is the whole RTX story, but there are like 6 games that support it? I dunno but it's not a lot and adoption of it in games is going REALLY slow.

RTX at this point looks more like a scam than an actual feature. The best-case scenario for the technology is that it has the fate of the smartphone: it starts off overpriced and marginal, but becomes everyday and hence affordable to just about anyone in time. I can see it happening in the next 2-5 years with the right support. But in the meantime it is just an accessory at best. It can under no circumstance justify the price bloat of RTX products.