Copy/Paste Issues?

TempestCatto

Hi there!

When I try to copy any kind of text, whether from a new tab, new window, or from within the forum post I'm responding to, I cannot paste it into my response. I have a copy/paste macro on my mouse, so I thought that was broken at first. But then I realized highlighting any text I wish to replace while making a post or reply, I can select to paste over it, but nothing happens. If I try it again, the same text I was trying to replace will be copied into the beginning of whatever I'm writing. I'm not sure if this is something on my end, or the forum.

Windows 10 LTSB

Mozilla Firefox

Thanks!

Considering I've experienced something maybe similar. Do you get option to "paste as plain text" at bottom of editor box? And if you do, after clicking that, does it appear properly (minus formatting)?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

Considering I've experienced something maybe similar. Do you get option to "paste as plain text" at bottom of editor box? And if you do, after clicking that, does it appear properly (minus formatting)?

I don't get that option unless what I copied was something different. Like if I copy the text from an Amazon product name I'll get it. But I can't spell and spell checker doesn't do a very good job. So I Google the word I'm trying to type, and copy it. When trying to paste something like that, I don't get the "paste as plain text" option.

@TempestCatto I accidentally made you unfollow this topic, so you might want to follow it again for updates.

It is possible that you're having the same issue as LogicalDrm, in which case I have reported the issue to the relevant developers. To verify that, can you take something that doesn't paste correctly here, and paste it into https://evercoder.github.io/clipboard-inspector/. Can you then right click -> save page as, then save it and post the saved file here.

Alternatively, if that page doesn't register anything being pasted, that is a browser or OS issue rather than a forum issue.

HTTP/2 203

14 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

@TempestCatto I accidentally made you unfollow this topic, so you might want to follow it again for updates.

It is possible that you're having the same issue as LogicalDrm, in which case I have reported the issue to the relevant developers. To verify that, can you take something that doesn't paste correctly here, and paste it into https://evercoder.github.io/clipboard-inspector/. Can you then right click -> save page as, then save it and post the saved file here.

Alternatively, if that page doesn't register anything being pasted, that is a browser or OS issue rather than a forum issue.

I'll spell Logiteck and try and copy paste what Google says the real spelling is.

Yeah, still have this issue. Here's the clipboard inspector Clipboard Inspector.htmClipboard

12 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I'll spell Logiteck and try and copy paste what Google says the real spelling is.

Yeah, still have this issue. Here's the clipboard inspector Clipboard Inspector.htmClipboard

Does it work if you paste as plain text (Ctrl+Shift+V)?

What version of Firefox are you using (≡, Help, About), and what addons do you have installed?

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

Does it work if you paste as plain text (Ctrl+Shift+V)?

What version of Firefox are you using (≡, Help, About), and what addons do you have installed?

Let's test: logitech

The keyboard shortcut works. However I don't have an option to paste as plain text when I right click. The copy paste was again just from a Google search.

FF version is 69.0 (giggity)  64 Bit. Only addon is Adblock Plus, which is disabled on anything LTT related.

8 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Let's test: logitech

The keyboard shortcut works. However I don't have an option to paste as plain text when I right click. The copy paste was again just from a Google search.

FF version is 69.0 (giggity)  64 Bit. Only addon is Adblock Plus, which is disabled on anything LTT related.

I can't reproduce this at all in my Windows 10 VM.

You mentioned that you were using a macro - does it work if you just use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V or the right click menu?

HTTP/2 203

15 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I can't reproduce this at all in my Windows 10 VM.

You mentioned that you were using a macro - does it work if you just use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V or the right click menu?

Let's test: LogitechLogitech

Paste 1 is right clicking from the source, clicking copy, right clicking here and clicking paste. Paste 2 is my macro. Surprised any of them worked. I had mentioned it in the OP, but I originally thought it was my macro having issues so I stopped using it - but the issue persisted even when using the traditional context menue.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Let's test: LogitechLogitech

Paste 1 is right clicking from the source, clicking copy, right clicking here and clicking paste. Paste 2 is my macro. Surprised any of them worked. I had mentioned it in the OP, but I originally thought it was my macro having issues so I stopped using it - but the issue persisted even when using the traditional context menue.

That looks like it worked, but you say this is still not working properly, right? Does it only inconsistently not work then?

HTTP/2 203

25 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

That looks like it worked, but you say this is still not working properly, right? Does it only inconsistently not work then?

It does seem to be inconsistent. I had the issue just lastnight.

I just recreated it. I spelled "inconsistent" so horridly, spell check didn't know what I was trying to do. So I right clicked the word and clicked on "search google for" and Google was able to figure out what I was trying to spell. When trying any copy paste method after clicking through to "search google for" is when this copy paste issue seems to arise.

18 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It does seem to be inconsistent. I had the issue just lastnight.

I just recreated it. I spelled "inconsistent" so horridly, spell check didn't know what I was trying to do. So I right clicked the word and clicked on "search google for" and Google was able to figure out what I was trying to spell. When trying any copy paste method after clicking through to "search google for" is when this copy paste issue seems to arise.

Would it be possible for you to do a screen recording of some sort to show exactly what you're doing when you reproduce it, so that I can make sure I'm trying to do things in exactly the same way?

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Would it be possible for you to do a screen recording of some sort to show exactly what you're doing when you reproduce it, so that I can make sure I'm trying to do things in exactly the same way?

I don't have anything to do that with. But I just tried recreating it, and it wouldn't do it this time. I'm not exactly sure then what or how. But I still do think it has something to do with clicking "search google for" when I right click a word.

11 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I don't have anything to do that with. But I just tried recreating it, and it wouldn't do it this time. I'm not exactly sure then what or how. But I still do think it has something to do with clicking "search google for" when I right click a word.

If you open the dev console (F12, console tab), then reproduce it, is anything logged?

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis You're close. But instead of copying the text from right side, I click on what Google says is the correct spelling and copy it from the search box.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

@colonel_mortis You're close. But instead of copying the text from right side, I click on what Google says is the correct spelling and copy it from the search box.

It's working fine for me when I try to do that, and nobody else is reporting this issue. Searching with Google shouldn't have any impact, because that's browser functionality rather than site functionality.

If anything is logged to the dev tools, I will be able to look into it further, but otherwise there is nothing more that I can do to investigate it.Pasting plain text content does work for everyone else.

HTTP/2 203

On 9/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, colonel_mortis said:

It's working fine for me when I try to do that, and nobody else is reporting this issue. Searching with Google shouldn't have any impact, because that's browser functionality rather than site functionality.

If anything is logged to the dev tools, I will be able to look into it further, but otherwise there is nothing more that I can do to investigate it.Pasting plain text content does work for everyone else.

Test: Logiteck

Got it. lerror.PNG.ea41a0c0a0eb35d49896ccba792de526.PNG

I still can't reproduce it, but I think I can see what is causing it. This weekend, I'll create a test instance so that you can check whether it fixes it or not, and if it does then I can get it reported to the relevant people.

HTTP/2 203

On 9/18/2019 at 4:28 AM, TempestCatto said:

Test: Logiteck

Got it. lerror.PNG.ea41a0c0a0eb35d49896ccba792de526.PNG

I think I've figured out how to reproduce it, and I think my fix resolves it. To confirm, can you verify that:

• You are able to reproduce the issue on https://www.mortis.dev/ltt/paste-issues/a/, which should be running the same version of the editor as is here (although it looks a bit different).
  • You are not able to reproduce the issue on https://www.mortis.dev/ltt/paste-issues/c/, which has my potential fix applied. I'm not confident that the fix is production-ready, but it should at least serve as a starting point for fixing the issue properly.

HTTP/2 203

57 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I think I've figured out how to reproduce it, and I think my fix resolves it. To confirm, can you verify that:

• You are able to reproduce the issue on https://www.mortis.dev/ltt/paste-issues/a/, which should be running the same version of the editor as is here (although it looks a bit different).
  • You are not able to reproduce the issue on https://www.mortis.dev/ltt/paste-issues/c/, which has my potential fix applied. I'm not confident that the fix is production-ready, but it should at least serve as a starting point for fixing the issue properly.

I am able to reproduce it in A

I am not able to reproduce it in B. However, when pasting over highlighted text, the highlighted text does not get replaced. It instead just pastes in front of that word.

I’d just like to add that the latest version of Safari on iOS 13 also cannot copy paste text into the forum. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I am able to reproduce it in A

I am not able to reproduce it in B. However, when pasting over highlighted text, the highlighted text does not get replaced. It instead just pastes in front of that word.

Yeah, that matches what I've seen (hence I don't think the fix is ready for production). The reproduction case is pasting plain-text content (so copied from a text input but not copied from somewhere else on the page) onto selected text that is not at the end of the paragraph. The best way to avoid triggering it is to just press backspace before pasting, to delete the selected content.

I will get this written up and reported to the relevant people.

13 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’d just like to add that the latest version of Safari on iOS 13 also cannot copy paste text into the forum. 

Are you using a beta, or is it the full public release? Can you post this as a separate topic in Bugs and Issues, because it needs to be looked into separately.

HTTP/2 203

36 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I will get this written up and reported to the relevant people

Glad we could figure it out. Thanks for all your hard work!

3 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Are you using a beta, or is it the full public release?

Public release :3

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)